I Am Enough. Anyone else seen Marisa Peer? - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Mat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 177
My Mood: Breezy

I Am Enough. Anyone else seen Marisa Peer?


I haven't got time for therapy, or the cash, or the inclination. Has anyone else taken a shortcut by following the advice of someone like Marisa Peer?

I decided yesterday instead of any resolutions to look for advice on Youtube. This is the simplest advice of all and looks pretty good to me, you just write in prominent places "I am enough", soak it in and watch a few of her lectures. Looks like she hasnt been mentioned on this forum before but if anyone has tried it please let me know how you got on. I will let you know how I get on. I am giving myself an extra week off work to soak up neuroscience, bio hacks, self helf help gurus etc.., and this one stood out right away.

Worth a watch...


"I am good enough"
Mat999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM
dreaming of a better life
 
Dreaming1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Dreamland...
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,034
My Mood: Mellow
I watched a few of her videos and even put up some post-its around my apartment. It might help temporarily but unless you truly believe it, it won't change you. I've had a lot of negative stuff going on lately and my negative mental programming seems very stubborn. I've been working on meditating and using affirmations as well so it's all a work in progress. Nothing happens overnight but it gets discouraging when you've been trying for many years and I've seen several therapists as well. But everyone is different and this may work for some better than it did for me.
Dreaming1111 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Mat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 177
My Mood: Breezy
Sorry it didn't work for you. But I think I may believe it already. Its not asking too much to just be enough.

I have found my causes very easy to identify, maybe that is a difference? Even though some are 30 years ago I have let go. Before coming across her I found the concept of extreme forgiveness. Maybe that is the way to truly let go of the past?

This one has the f word in it so I am not embedding it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX7ms2k51rE

"I am good enough"
Mat999 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,137
My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming1111 View Post
I watched a few of her videos and even put up some post-its around my apartment. It might help temporarily but unless you truly believe it, it won't change you. I've had a lot of negative stuff going on lately and my negative mental programming seems very stubborn. I've been working on meditating and using affirmations as well so it's all a work in progress. Nothing happens overnight but it gets discouraging when you've been trying for many years and I've seen several therapists as well. But everyone is different and this may work for some better than it did for me.
Same, I cant just stop thinking negative. This is how insanity feels like. I didnt even know this was not normal.Always thought everyone was like this.
629753 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Mat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 177
My Mood: Breezy
I thought I was insane until I went to group therapy and learned I was perfectly normal. Have you tried yet? If not it will open your eyes.

"I am good enough"
Mat999 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:12 PM
dreaming of a better life
 
Dreaming1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Dreamland...
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,034
My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat999 View Post
I thought I was insane until I went to group therapy and learned I was perfectly normal. Have you tried yet? If not it will open your eyes.
Group therapy is something I would like to do. Also, what you said about forgiveness is definitely something I struggle with; more specifically self forgiveness. I made a choice many years ago which I still haven't gotten over and just can't seem to let go. This is likely what is holding up my progress and may be the breakthrough I need to get better.
Dreaming1111 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:01 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,241
well, i don't feel like i am enough in the eyes of other people/due to my experiences so this is hard to believe.
tea111red is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Mat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 177
My Mood: Breezy
The whole point of the "you are enough" thing started with her saying old experinces have effected you which are not relevant today. I have been thinking this for weeks. I am enough because when I mesed up a poetry reading and recorder(flute) song when I was 7 in front of whole school and parents, I was just 7 and it was just a bad day. Has zero baring on whether I am worthy of looking into peoples eyes when I talk to anyone today, 30 years later.

The are 100 moments like that I can point to which caused or may have caused SA. None of them matter now. So I am going back to the state I was born in. Which is enough. In fact I have added the word good because I wasnt just a random amoeba just enough to survive. I was loved by parents and given good chances in life. So good enough is the bare minimum for me.

"I am good enough"
Mat999 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM
SAS Member
 
SwtSurrender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat999 View Post
I haven't got time for therapy, or the cash, or the inclination. Has anyone else taken a shortcut by following the advice of someone like Marisa Peer?

I decided yesterday instead of any resolutions to look for advice on Youtube. This is the simplest advice of all and looks pretty good to me, you just write in prominent places "I am enough", soak it in and watch a few of her lectures. Looks like she hasnt been mentioned on this forum before but if anyone has tried it please let me know how you got on. I will let you know how I get on. I am giving myself an extra week off work to soak up neuroscience, bio hacks, self helf help gurus etc.., and this one stood out right away.

Worth a watch...

I knew about, "I am enough" when I watched one of Brene Brown's videos, and when she said it I felt good and I accepted it and kept saying it to myself over and over because I found it to be something that it was time to believe. As long as you believe something and repeat it over and over again to yourself (make sure it is something rational and positive) you will start to believe it and you will pretty much feel invincible. She does say alot of things that Dr. Richards talks about so that means she's a great find! I really enjoyed watching this video, her speech is so engaging, I find myself laughing out loud - that rarely happens. Yes, believe it or not, I am one of those rare people who can stand through and focus on a 45 minute or more video.
Thank you for sharing this and I am glad I came across it, every positive kind of perspective is very helpful for anyone who is openly looking for it. And even though I have heard about, "I am enough" before, it's with this video that I wrote, "I am enough" on my bedroom mirror too! I'm gonna keep watching her videos, she's too good! Marisa Peer is amazing, I want to be like her.

SwtSurrender is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Mat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 177
My Mood: Breezy
@SwtSurrender your kind words make me feel happy. I am watching the recent Scientology series which is very negative, so you just gave me a lift which was nice.

She is refreshing, especially for me as a Brit, she connects with me more. I just unfollowed Jack Canfield today, not to be negative, it's just that there are always new positive people out there like Marisa who I can relate to more. It's an enjoyable hobby to seek out these people who can help/inspire us.

Nice signature quote btw, I might steal that

"I am good enough"
Mat999 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 PM
SAS Member
 
SwtSurrender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat999 View Post
@SwtSurrender your kind words make me feel happy. I am watching the recent Scientology series which is very negative, so you just gave me a lift which was nice.

She is refreshing, especially for me as a Brit, she connects with me more. I just unfollowed Jack Canfield today, not to be negative, it's just that there are always new positive people out there like Marisa who I can relate to more. It's an enjoyable hobby to seek out these people who can help/inspire us.

Nice signature quote btw, I might steal that
Yes, you can have the quote, thanks and np.

SwtSurrender is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:06 AM
SAS Member
 
SwtSurrender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,415
Yeah, she sounds very calming with her soothing voice, I like British accents myself, I always find myself watching British tv shows. Then I go around the house imitating and lol-ing. I found her on youtube, she's got all these youtube videos on her own channel and has a myriad of topics for self-help and inspiration to live a better life. Well, there's so many videos out there offering some help, but what she says really touches me deeply. BUMP!

SwtSurrender is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 PM
Ad astra per aspera.
 
SparklingWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,353
Bump. OK enough bumps I'm done lol
SparklingWater is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 AM
Ad astra per aspera.
 
SparklingWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,353
I bumped this thread last night, but i just watched this video andit is just amazing. I think especially because I've been doing CBT work it hit the exaxt right note for me for where I am. Def recommend it.

Miles to go before I sleep. Vale.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
SparklingWater is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 AM
SAS Member
 
SwtSurrender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,415
@realisticandhopeful
Yeah she sounds alot like dear ole Dr. Richards, haha.

SwtSurrender is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peer review indicates that NASA's fuel-less em drive really works Erroll Science and Philosophy 7 11-25-2016 12:06 PM
Post Graduation "Do You/Get Have A Job" Harrassment Peer Pressure ForzaGT Frustration 12 09-07-2016 09:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome