How Will COVID-19 Affect Your Therapy? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Question

How Will COVID-19 Affect Your Therapy?

I go to talk therapy once a week, which I can no longer do. I can either call my shrink via phone/Skype but it's something I'm uncomfortable with. Her room is like a safe space in which I can air my fears. Doing it at home just isn't the same, and I'm nervous that other ppl in the house can hear me (the very people that I often ***** about in my sessions). I'm thinking of going to the local park to do the call but my country might be going strict on lock-down soon urgh.

And I was planning on doing more social things...dates...meetups and I realistically won't be able to for another 6 months. Which is such a bummer and really impedes on my progress!

I have a CBT workbook filled with activities i need to do....can't do most of them now.

This whole thing will ruin so many people mentally and I worry about the people.

If your in therapy how will it affect you? And will you be Skyping your therapist or not at all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 04:10 PM
SAS Member

That's a good point - I hadn't thought of that. Is there any part of your house which you know would be sound-proof?

Try not to worry about all the things you were going to do for your CBT etc - there'll be time to do them later again when all this is over.

It's great you have a therapist like that btw - one that you feel you can be open with.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM
SAS Member

Don't worry...we are all gonna be ok! Just increase the supplements you are taking and take care of yourself!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 04:29 PM
pls don't eat bats, thnx

Language: rambling
I won't get any. but then they don't offer services I need because my problems go beyond anxiety and depression. its easier to get help for both of those conditions but if you have other problems or pd's it's much harder to get help.
I am starting to think I might have to write off all plans for this year. I had some courses to start which I have to scrap, I suspect this thing will return back in the autumn winter of this year. possibly hitting us even harder...

I like donuts
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I do remember my appointment in February, being asked if I have left the country.

Nope.

My next appointment is in July.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 09:55 PM
SAS Member

Therapy for me has moved to places like this forum.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Chonker

Don't have a therapist but have a psychiatrist who is now doing telemed meetings only through Zoom. I set up the webcam and software through my media PC in the living room. My mother will be in the house but I don't think she will be able to hear in her office. Not sure how the session will be paid for. I did a test between two PCs and I could barely make out voices so I'm a little concerned that my internet isn't fast enough.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 03:52 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings_speech View Post
Therapy for me has moved to places like this forum.
Heaven help you then.

I'm starting to think I should contact the last psychiatrist I saw - she would be open to doing consultations online. It might be necessary to re-start one of the medications.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 06:43 PM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
I believe the best thing someone can achieve during this pandemic, other than be sure to provide for basic needs, is mindfulness. Being calm, rested. Meditate or anyway. I don't actually meditate but I do listen to some of that stuff...

Anything that we do that gets all our attention, healthy stuff, we need to do. Something that can be done at home or with very few people in limited settings. Being in your zone. "Distract" yourself if you will. When it gets too tough, I liked to shake things up, but maybe I better take a step back and just take it slow and relax...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Stan the Man

My Mood: Mellow
How does everyone find therapy over video? Less effective or roughly the same?

Always happy to talk to folks!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2020, 03:45 AM
SAS Member

It's been easier for me I just sit up in bed with 3 pillows and answer my phone. I asked if this will be an option when Covid goes away and my case manager said yes. So I guess I won't need to get out of bed for awhile lol hahah.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 11:21 AM
SAS Member

Well for one thing my therapist places a giant see-through screen between us LOL which kinda kills the vibe when you enter the room but isn't half as noticable once you start talking anyway
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 01:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy View Post
Well for one thing my therapist places a giant see-through screen between us LOL which kinda kills the vibe when you enter the room but isn't half as noticable once you start talking anyway
That sounds amazing, I'm still stuck doing the video chat thing. It's easier than it used to be when the pandemic started, but I'd love to actually be able to go back to my therapist's office someday. Mostly so I don't have to hear his dogs barking in the background xD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page