Have you ever cried in front of your therapist? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 AM
SAS Member

Yes, with all of them, I've seen a few but only really the first meeting.. >.< I don't really like to talk face to face with someone about my sa like that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I wish I could have cried in front of her, or just cry on my own even. At the moment I have a hard time expressing my emotions especially pain/shame. Hopefully one day I will experience crying again....
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Custom User Title

It's really hard articulating everything like that to someone, it was like all the pain combined from the last six years. I cried, I don't feel bad for it either, The tears were pretty manly so...

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 AM
A Living Woman

My Mood: Mellow
Chaplain - no.

Christian lady - yes, with my mother. Realized why my anxiety spiked the way it did at the time (my father was a way for some training the Army makes you do and it made me feel unprotected and unstable).

2 ladies who were interviewing me before assigning me to a psychiatrist - yes, with my mother. I had to admit to her that I was taking pills to make myself sick so I wouldn't have to go to school, amongst other things.

Psychiatrist #1 - don't remember/probably not. She was robotic. It made me robotic.

Guidance counselor #1 - yes. Had to confess to her as well that I did a lot of things to avoid school and I felt ashamed.

Psychiatrist #2 - yes. I don't remember anything specifically but I'm sure I did. She was the best person to talk to.

Guidance counselor #2 - yes. Originally I said no but then I remember an incident where I had a complete breakdown in the parking lot in front of the school. My mother was there as well but she wasn't crying.

"Somewhere deep in every American heart lies a rebellion...."
— D. H. Lawrence.
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
SAS Member

I've gotten teary eyed but haven't actually allowed myself to really cry in front of her. It would probably feel good to cry get some emotions out instead of bottling them up...
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Coffee me.

I think I've cried nearly every time I've been to one. Except one jerk I tried and hated. I cry pretty easily though when trying to discuss anything emotional about myself or if I get upset/angered.

And I know I don't wanna make the same mistake
As the man and the woman next door
'Cause they don't make no love they just go to war
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Permanently Manned!

I went to my first councelling session yday. i started to cry when she asked me "And how are you", it absolutely set me off, poor woman prob didnt know what she said to offend me, lol. And i cried near the end of the session. Feel stupid now but what ya gonna do bout it? I was feeling very fragile the last few weeks and i feel like i cleared my head after that session
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Meditator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello22 View Post
I went to my first councelling session yday. i started to cry when she asked me "And how are you", it absolutely set me off, poor woman prob didnt know what she said to offend me, lol. And i cried near the end of the session. Feel stupid now but what ya gonna do bout it? I was feeling very fragile the last few weeks and i feel like i cleared my head after that session
Nothing to feel bad about. As you said yourself, "it cleared your head" so that means the session essentially worked!

Ireland.... rescuing sober people since the dawn of time

"with you dub i will never be 100% lesbian"

A Kiirby is fer life, not just fer Crimbo
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

Yeah - I'd figure if I didn't cry then I didn't dig deep enough and didn't make any progress. Crying is truly a cleansing and is necessary for healing - whether you are a man or a woman. Especially in therapy. When I used to get counseling with my Priest after my husband died I think I cried every time, plus with the few therapists I have seen - I hated it... it made me feel stupid and weak... but I know logically that is not what it did and that it was normal and necessary.
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

Yup...
I havent had a therapist since i was 16 but spent most of my time crying and tryin' to hide it!
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM
and i won't back down

Yes. Quite often.
In fact, I'd say that in the 4 months that I've been seeing her, I've probably cried 3/4 of the times I've been. We talk about a lot of stuff that's really difficult for me to discuss. Sometimes, she the first person I've ever told that specific thing to.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." -Albus Dumbledore

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
roarrrr

Hmm. I'm seeing a psychologist tomorrow for the first time and I'm supposed to lay everything thats wrong out on the table. We'll see if I make it through without a breakdown.
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:06 AM
SAS Member

Yep. 1st time.
post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:16 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
I used to try to be macho and hold it in with not letting myself break. But I've come to learn it is much more macho to let yourself be vulnerable and cry. Its scary stuff. But therapy is all about having a safe place you can let all your crap out.

Beneficiary of 52 infractions and 5 warnings.
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Permanently Banned

I have been right on the borderline of crying; however, for some reason I view crying in front of a therapist so sterotypical I did not want to do it so I held it back as much as I could. I know it acceptable to cry in front of a therapist and perhaps a good release...I just always feel strange expressing myself.
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
With my first theraphist I cried one time,but that was just because I didn't feel comfortable with him and we just talked about crap anyway..

I've been seeing a new theraphist 3 times now and I think I've cried in all 3 of them.lol..I've stopped feeling embarassed about it,because I am talking about things that are hard to talk about and I usually cry in situations like that.
They do expect it,why else would they have all those boxes of tissues laying around there?
I've always been a person who tear up easily,I don't do it on purpose,but sometimes when I get angry or sad they just come.When I was little people would laugh at me and make me feel stupid,and it made me think that I shouldn't show emotions because I thought that I was weak.
But it's a natural thing and sometimes it just comes out..

post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Ummmmmm

Gawd yes. Happens all the time.

Not much has happened since I last wrote except for my manslaughter charges, lotto win, and Ivy's death.

Mary and Max.
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
On me "toes"

Too many times to count. It's a safe place to cry.
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmask View Post
I don't recall ever doing it. I came close a couple of times, but held back because I was afraid they'd find it whiny or self-pitying and think I'm pathetic. How ridiculous is that?
Nah, I'd feel exactly the same.
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:23 AM
My So-Called Self

Definitely. More than once. I hate it, but I can't help it. I even almost cried when I just saw my new therapist for the first time not too long ago. For a stupid reason too. I cry easily, especially when panicked & she was trying to force me to have an appointment when I knew I couldn't do it & when I was trying to explain to her why I couldn't do it, I almost started to cry.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” _Dr. Seuss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page