Have any of you actually ever been helped by anything? - Page 6 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #101 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:00 AM
SAS Member

Forcing myself to talk has helped a little. I am not as shy as I used to be but only by a small increment. I still go over the conversations feeling like I said something stupid or that I am off a certain way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 AM
SAS Member

fghfh

John
post #103 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGogh View Post
I can't accept it, though. I've never wanted to nor able to if I could find a way to want to.
I get what you're saying. Reason I came to think about the idea of 'acceptance' was my job last few years working with very ill children

I was thinking about the number of people that have awful health problems, really sucks... And I was thinking how the kids responded. They didn't know life could be any different, so they didn't suffer bitterness or angst, or recriminations or self-critcism etc. etc re their illness.

And I could see the benefits of that... I realised actually we probably have a false picture of life.. the way it should be.. no two ways about it, it is hard.

I felt working on 'acceptance' would bring me a little peace.. and it has... doesn't mean I don't cry my eyes out either at times...

The darkest hour is just before dawn

post #104 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Klonopin. That's it. Whenever I take it, it makes me feel like a completely normal person. It not only eliminates anxiety, but it puts me in a calm, carefree mood.
post #105 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Alone and happy about it

I applied for a job in retail a while ago, and I had to do a quick training course to show me how to properly interact with customers. It boosted my confidence.
post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryukil View Post
Just wondering.

The Linden method is extremely effective, it helps you to replace negative beliefs and behaviors with positive ones. For more info go here www.helpwithanxiety.net
post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraimunki View Post
The Linden method is extremely effective, it helps you to replace negative beliefs and behaviors with positive ones. For more info go here www.helpwithanxiety.net
That's interesting. Hadn't heard about this before but am curious to know more. I googled it... seems to have loads of positive reviews.

Have you personally found it beneficial? thanks

post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Reposed in awesomeness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueColor View Post
That's interesting. Hadn't heard about this before but am curious to know more. I googled it... seems to have loads of positive reviews.

Have you personally found it beneficial? thanks

http://resonatingthoughts.wordpress....5/linden_scam/

I am currently reposed on a stratum of my own pure abstract awesomeness(cubed)...

Diphenidine and ethylphenidate FTW!

Social anxiety can bite my arse...
post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Reposed in awesomeness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraimunki View Post

I am currently reposed on a stratum of my own pure abstract awesomeness(cubed)...

Diphenidine and ethylphenidate FTW!

Social anxiety can bite my arse...
post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny neurotic View Post

Thanks for that!

post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:05 PM
The New Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGSAREnotGOOD View Post
I expose myself everyday and everyday I continue to get worse.
Same here. Exposure therapy DOES NOT WORK for everyone. It certainly hasn't worked for me at all.

Therapists think they're always right. Whenever I tell them I've given a good-faith effort with exposure/CBT and it didn't work, they'll blame me for not working hard enough. I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't.

"Don't judge people. You never know what kind of battle they are fighting."

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” ―Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@Bent and all the people talking about therapy

You know what's funny though? If a therapist were to see this thread, they would just write it off since we're all "crazy". Or that's how I think some of them would probably react. Most of the mental health professionals I have been to have been exceedingly arrogant (with at least a single exception; the last psychologist I saw, a younger woman, wasn't like that at all). They sit behind their desks, the stigma of mental illness filling their minds, looking down at you. Or that's how I feel, anyway.
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM
The New Black

Quote:
Most of the mental health professionals I have been to have been exceedingly arrogant
Yes, my experiences exactly.

Quote:
(with at least a single exception; the last psychologist I saw, a younger woman, wasn't like that at all).
I've noticed that less experienced, younger therapists, such as interns, tend to be nicer, better listeners, and less judgmental. They're new and they're trying harder.

Also, when I've called crisis hotlines and friendship lines, the volunteers tend to be empathetic and compassionate.

I'm still desperate for therapy/counseling despite all my terrible, abusive experiences with therapists. And I'm focusing my search on less experienced interns or volunteers because I think they'd be kinder and easier to work with.

It's horrendous that therapists are routinely so abusive to people. Therapy, of all professions, should only attract people who genuinely want to help all their clients. But instead, therapists play favorites. They're only kind and supportive to the clients that they like or find attractive or whatever. Humans are shockingly judgmental and cruel.

"Don't judge people. You never know what kind of battle they are fighting."

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” ―Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
SAS Member

Recovery from social anxiety has been a lifelong process for me. Many factors went into creating it - genetics, many unfortunate parenting mistakes, my family moving during critical points in my social development, some specific traumatic experiences...

One important healing factor was meeting the man who is now my husband of 6 years. Another was getting connected to the church group we are a part of. He and my church give me a sense of being "at home." Everywhere else in the world is a little bit alien and foreign to me, but my husband and church friends "get" me and they truly love me.

Another part of my healing has been finally fulfilling my lifelong dream of finishing my masters degree (2nd time around, long story) and becoming a mental health counselor. I really love what I'm doing and I can see that my clients are really being helped (despite the crap the agency throws in my way.)

Another part is that kindof by accident I found the right combo of meds. My neurologist was prescribing for migraines and I ended up with effexor and topamax, which - tada! - ended up helping my PMDD and social anxiety as well!
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Permanently Banned

nope. Psychotherapy is a scam. Exposure doesn't seem to make a difference for me either. Meds may work but they have nasty side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316C View Post
you can only be helped if you believe it can help you
ah, the placebo effect... classic

Quote:
@Bent and all the people talking about therapy

You know what's funny though? If a therapist were to see this thread, they would just write it off since we're all "crazy". Or that's how I think some of them would probably react. Most of the mental health professionals I have been to have been exceedingly arrogant (with at least a single exception; the last psychologist I saw, a younger woman, wasn't like that at all). They sit behind their desks, the stigma of mental illness filling their minds, looking down at you. Or that's how I feel, anyway.
true dat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page