Have any of you actually ever been helped by anything? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Have any of you actually ever been helped by anything?

Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 AM
F♯ A♯ ∞

I am currently feeling the help from CBT. Before you listen to anyone saying CBT doesnt work, just remember there are many CBT techniques to be explored. Some are more effective than others depending on the person. For me, i find experiential and visual techniques much more effective.

Simply put, CBT is just therapy to reprogram your mind. It attempts to change your reactions to anxiety provoking situations into responses. Everyone has anxiety however us that have SA, GAD etc. struggle to control it or react to it in ways which perpetuate and exaggerate it.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 AM
SAS Member

Certainly, some of the methods I've learnt in CBT have been very helpful

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Exposure helped me a lot. I often force myself to talk to random strangers and it has gotten to the point that it isn't that difficult anymore.
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Ignorance Really IS Bliss

My depression is of biological origin and no amount of therapy can help that. My anxiety disorders are biological as well, but I used self-help CBT to reason my way through panic attacks so I won't freak out in public and disturb those around me. I can reason that there is nothing from which to feel fear, but yet my body feels like it's jumped off the side of a cliff.

I've seen more therapists than I can count, and have taken more graduate-level counseling courses than I care to admit. Nothing and no one has helped me......only myself. In fact, I was stigmatized and declared unemployable when I did seek help, despite the fact that I've never been hospitalized and am not violent or angry.

The entire field of psychology is a JOKE. The only ones licensed to practice it are disturbed themselves, even moreso than the rest of us for having gone through demoralizing doctorate programs where they were beat-up on by egomaniacs.

Diagnoses: Endogenous Depression, Anxiety Disorders (Generalized, Social, Paranoid), Bipolar II

Current Meds: None.

Previous Meds (I forget dosages):
Paxil
Prozac
Zoloft (2 trials)
Wellbutrin
Celexa (2 trials, 1 with mood stabalizer)
Trazodone
Effexor
Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
Hydroxyzine Pamoate (Vistaril)
Oxcarbazepine
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Permanently ******

Pills.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
:D

Trying to change mindest to be more positive helped a lot, and exposure. I tried counseling but it didnt help
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerOptimist View Post
My depression is of biological origin and no amount of therapy can help that. My anxiety disorders are biological as well, but I used self-help CBT to reason my way through panic attacks so I won't freak out in public and disturb those around me. I can reason that there is nothing from which to feel fear, but yet my body feels like it's jumped off the side of a cliff.

I've seen more therapists than I can count, and have taken more graduate-level counseling courses than I care to admit. Nothing and no one has helped me......only myself. In fact, I was stigmatized and declared unemployable when I did seek help, despite the fact that I've never been hospitalized and am not violent or angry.

The entire field of psychology is a JOKE. The only ones licensed to practice it are disturbed themselves, even moreso than the rest of us for having gone through demoralizing doctorate programs where they were beat-up on by egomaniacs.
I think most all psychological issues have a biological basis but are caused
by events in our histories. that doesn't mean counseling can't help.
There are maybe hundreds of different forms of therapy, not including medications. They exist because people find them helpful and you can
probably find something helpful also if you keep trying.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Mooltipass!

My Mood: Scared
Hitting a punch bag and screaming abuse at it. Diet change also helped a lot with the biological side of things.

Heard a rumour from ground control.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
SAS Member

Self CBT-medication and therapy have been a sadistic joke for me.

Too legit to quit.
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM
The Worst

No. Therapy was an expensive waste of time.

I've tried self-help books but they never seem to be comprehensive enough (SA isn't my only mental issue). A book on SA assumes the reader only has SA; but some things it suggests will be impossible because of depression, OCD, phobias, etc., etc...

Never tried meds because of my fear of swallowing pills--see I have too many problems to be helped.

If you aren't as messed up as I am you might find something that helps.
post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
SAS Member

I don't want to discourage people who might benefit from therapy but overall I find it to be of little to no use. I will even venture to suggest that psychotherapy might be the biggest fraud perpetrated in human history but that's for another discussion.

Every therapist I've ever seen displayed some degree of abusiveness. The latest one, who is a physician, was probably the best one I've had but even she is disappointing. No doubt biology plays a role but in my case the additional environmental components are huge even though they are complicated. Most of my problems stem from not belonging to a community or a social network and having been trained to be loser by weak outcast parents. For this and other reasons I become acutely aware of social status and am more needy than others of being validated and included. I achieved a few things but also failed at most things that mattered in life and was punished for it socially. With this current 'therapist' it is especially offensive to have her diminish the importance of social inclusion through achievement as though people do not care about social status as much as I claim because SHE HERSELF SERVES AS AN EXAMPLE THAT I AM RIGHT EVERY TIME I SEE HER. She admitted to trying several times to get into med school and tried to pretend it wasn't about social status. Eventually I had her cornered once and she blurted out that she wanted to make more money. She also now tries to claim that money is not connected to status even though way back in the first session she admitted that is part of the pecking order in medicine, a pecking order that rivals that of lawyers in its obsession with status by her own accounts. Moreover, every time I mention something that I have failed at that she has succeeded at I see her face light up because she is in fact, like most people, driven by a need to be validated by having status bestowed upon her, which includes the purported right the look down on and exclude others. She stated that she likes people who are smarter...but what she would not admit to in its full consequence is that that is because, among other things, she wants to view herself as smarter...because she likes to be able to distinguish herself from others by claiming intellectual superiority and very obviously needs that to be granted to her through status achievements. Yet when I attribute my negative mood and view of society to that very issue, and to the fact that my successes have not been allowed to materialize into full status because of coming from a classless position in the first place, she tries to 'cbt' me into operating on the premise that status should not, and for most does not, figure prominently. It really adds insult to injury when the person telling you that is evidence of the opposite.

I told her that I am now in a different master's program at a less well reputed school and again, I see on her face a look of personal satisfaction as she writes something down. She covets her successes as a means of distinguishing herself from others...such as me in this very situation. Yet she pretends that I can improve my life by believing that people don't operate that way and that happiness is based on other things alone. It's worse than just being a bull****ter because she herself is an example of what the social realities are that lead to my being depressed and bitter. Not only that but the rare times when she is in fact willing to go along with a negative critique of society it is because I use the university I was recently in as an example and she hates that university. She goes along with trashing it and the people who go there simply because she knows that they are the kind of conservative snobs who would never have let her into med school (she went to the 'alternative school' of this jurisdiction and even tries to put down the snobby university's med school). It is so infuriating to watch her prove that my cynicism is right while 'counselling' me with the opposite propositions and instructions. She also has a very obvious bias that because I am half Indian I must be crazy in this way because of casteism...yet she comes from a family in which her father was a doctor...hmm, I wonder whether that has anything to do with her motivation to become a doctor and trying to get in several times??? She is so smug and certain about it yet my dad was raised in a british boarding school from the age of five, went to british universities and was an atheistic marxist so he's not exactly the prime candidate for casteism...unless of course british casteism and the classism I mention as governing most people's lives is what we are talking about. But no, we are very obviously not talking about that because that supposedly doesn't exist. In case she didn't know, there is a word for not having a caste/class in Spanish and in French because it is acknowledged as a social reality that is in fact considered to be a serious tragedy. It really really disturbs me to have to sit there and watch her lie while proving me right...I see more every time I go there that I lost in life because my outsider status makes me more needy, which in turn makes people less likely to accept me, which in turn makes people place higher burdens of performance on me, which in turn leads to concrete failures, which in turn leads to more exclusion, etc etc...and this POS doctor lives her life according to that same principle while pretending otherwise.

Therapy is...the easiest possible way for someone to make money?? Other than that I don't think it has much value. Most people would get better if they just had a social network that included them such that loyalty and acceptance was unconditional. Most people who don't have that have bad lives. The others compete a bit amongst themselves but they know they are accepted in a clan and support group regardless. They know their network/community/class/caste will always help them keep going and will always buoy their status rather than excluding them and diminishing them, because that group competes against other groups and they are on the team. She herself benefits from belonging and in fact the only reason she can be so ridiculous as to imply unacceptable casteist attitudes to me is because she, unlike myself, is in a de facto caste while I am alone on my knees. It is tiresome and even adds to my mood problems but believe it or not the other therapists have all been even more abusive.
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Permanently Banned

only by my parents,i helped or tried helping other people as much as i can
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

To respond to the op, some meds have provided a bit of help but not enough to cure / resolve my situation.
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
SAS Member

Further to what I wrote about my therapist, it is also noteworthy that I have numerous things going on in my personal life but when I came in to see her the first thing she asked about was my gf's application to med school...I kid you not. She also can't remember things about my history that have been discussed in previous sessions and takes up time asking the same things every session but oddly she remembered what university my sister went to...because it is a 'prestigious' school.
post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Chlorine and Wine

My Mood: Dead
I feel like everything done to me has brought more harm than good.

Here's to life, the vice
The great herald of misery
In this cup, spiritus frumenti
For this is the nectar of the spirit
post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
SAS Member

Anxiety is something that most individuals come one way or another of our lives. In other words, anxiety attack is known to be a panic attack. An intense form of body’s response to stress, fear or even excitement. You may feel an overpowering sensations such as breathing discomfort, losing out of control, chest pain, nausea, fast heart beat, sudden feeling of fainting and other. But some people have different symptoms, its better if you’ll get to control them.

Do not let yourself carry on these emotions or feelings you might felt on it. Actually, there are better solutions to your problems. Anxiety attacks can be controllable and manageable; all you have to do is to follow some of the tips:

In your case then, I highly recommend you to do some counseling and therapies:
Tip # 1: Engaged yourself in therapy
Therapy such as Aromatherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy and even a massage therapy will basically help you overcome panic attack without the use of medications.
Tip # 2: A good and healthy diet will preferably do
One of the simplest ways to mainly overcome panic attack without taking medications, a nutritious diet helps the mind fight off stress and anxiety which are very common in panic attacks.
Too discover my top secret for how to cure anxiety and panic attack, check out my valuable resourcer below --->

http://curepanicattackv.com
post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryukil View Post
Just wondering.
Exposure, healthy eating, and heavy exercise

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor E. Frankl
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

Prozac

I was better almost immediately and I dropped 40 pounds.
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 PM
SAS Member

Alcohol and lots of it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page