Has Anyone tried meditation to get rid of negative thoughts? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Has Anyone tried meditation to get rid of negative thoughts?

I recently got into the whole meditation/zen thing. I started doing about 15 mins a day of meditiation. I keep my eyes open and just stare at the wall or anything and try to clear my mind of any thoughts. Its really a challenge. it just shows how much garbage is in our heads. Im hoping once I can clear my mind of most thoughts, ill be able to focus more on whats happening in the moment and I wont think of bad scenarios. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Yeah, I have tried mindfulness meditation, where you clear your mind and then try to become really aware of the sensory stimuli around you. I found it really relaxing and calming, but I honestly haven't given it enough time to know if it makes a lot of difference overall. Has meditation helped you?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

Meditation has helped me a lot I meditate every day for 20mins at least. It is great when you become free of all that mental chatter during a session. It helps me be more objective about things so i can think outside what my anxiety/negative thought patterns tell me.Its helped me far more than any medication for my anxiety, but it must be done daily to be most effective.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Ancient Hellkite

I meditate too. Its awesome to practice just being empty awareness. empty of all your mind's filters and beliefs... constantly interpreting everything...

& things def. change for you when you relax and quit fighting the flow

Behavior but flows from thought as thought flows from belief
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 AM
corporate slave

Did not work for me. I did it wrong perhaps.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 AM
SAS Member

i do meditate from time to time but not to get rid of my negative thoughts, i do it to be mindful of them, it gives me space between my thoughts and i'm able to notice them without getting to attached to them
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
SAS Member

Meditation is GREAT. DO IT EVERY DAY.
Today my therapist told me I have meditate on a picture and envision myself succeeding.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Ancient Hellkite

I think the main problem people run into when meditating is that they TRY too hard...

They get discouraged when their mind thinks too much...

My advice would be to just be, quit trying to do something, quit trying to accomplish something...

You are only making it hard for yourself, thinking that you are doing it wrong, or that there is some kind of end with which you must meet. Just take the time to be. To relax. To empty your mind. And if thoughts come, let them come, don't beat yourself up about it.. just let them drift on by..

Behavior but flows from thought as thought flows from belief
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Gone.

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel11206 View Post
i do meditate from time to time but not to get rid of my negative thoughts, i do it to be mindful of them, it gives me space between my thoughts and i'm able to notice them without getting to attached to them
THIS! Which helps, at least in my case, to get past them or around them.

Most of me is gone.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page