Has anyone tried hypnotherapy? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Previously banned under other name

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
i thought hypnotheropy was counselling /thats why the therapy bit is on the end//what im saying you have to be in a relaxed state of mind to have any chance of being hypnotised//and mentaly ill peoples minds are not relaxed unless on meds// i have never seen in any mental hospital i have been in /// the hypnotheropy ward//i believe it dosent work on a mentally ill person
yes you do have to be in a relaxed state of mind to be hypnotised and anybody can relax . im social phobic and agoraphobic , ive got all kinds of worries going through my mind every second of the day but when it comes to listening to a hypnosis cd i can easily relax

nope hypnotherapy is not counselling. hypnotherapy is like getting a technision out to fix your tv, hpnosis fixing the fault in your mind. counselling is just endless talking , there is no talking in hypnosis.

the reason the therapy bit is ont he end of hypnosis is because hypnosis can be used for fun like getting osmeone to act a like a chicken on stage, and then youve got the type of hypnosis that is not for fun , its for helping people change their probelems, and thats were the therapy thing on the end comes from
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
i thought hypnotheropy was counselling /thats why the therapy bit is on the end//what im saying you have to be in a relaxed state of mind to have any chance of being hypnotised//and mentaly ill peoples minds are not relaxed unless on meds// i have never seen in any mental hospital i have been in /// the hypnotheropy ward//i believe it dosent work on a mentally ill person
the reason youve never seen a hypnotherapy ward in a mental hospital is becasue hypnotherapy benefits the people not the government. medication and all of that crap beneifts the government, hypnosis beneifts the hypnotist cos he gets about 100 a session for it and then government gets nothing.

hypnosis does work on mentally ill people, its been proven time and time again . it works better than meds cos it treats the root cause of the problem. all meds does is mask the problem , but the governement dont care
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 AM
SAS Member

hmm

"yes you do have to be in a relaxed state of mind to be hypnotised and anybody can relax . im social phobic and agoraphobic , ive got all kinds of worries going through my mind every second of the day but when it comes to listening to a hypnosis cd i can easily relax".

You don't have to be in a relaxed state of mind to be "hypnotised". You've got all kinds of worries going through your mind every second of the day. Which means you're creating a "worry trance". Heck, with a lot of those worries you're probably also moving back and forth between the present and possible negative futures. Yet another trance.

The "conscious mind" and "subconscious" minds are pretty much metaphors. I say "pretty much" because there is some science talking about a part at the back of the brain which some have interpreted as being the physical manifestation of the "subconscious" mind but that is open to interpretation and challenge. For the most part, such things are worked on as metaphors and certainly aren't the only models or metaphors for the mind out there.

"nope hypnotherapy is not counselling. hypnotherapy is like getting a technision out to fix your tv, hpnosis fixing the fault in your mind. counselling is just endless talking , there is no talking in hypnosis."

There is talking involved in hypnosis quite a lot of the time. Particularly in hypnotherapy. And yes, hypnotherapy is a form of counselling. It's used in counselling and psychotherapy. I know as I've been trained in hypnotherapy as part of my psychotherapy course. Hypnosis doesn't "fix the problem". You fix the problem. The client fixes the problem.

"the reason the therapy bit is ont he end of hypnosis is because hypnosis can be used for fun like getting osmeone to act a like a chicken on stage".

Getting someone to....? You can't use hypnosis to make people do anything they don't want to do.

, "and then youve got the type of hypnosis that is not for fun , its for helping people change their probelems, and thats were the therapy thing on the end comes from".

Well, it's the application of hypnosis (and sometimes NLP and other stuff too) in a therapeutic context.

"the reason youve never seen a hypnotherapy ward in a mental hospital is becasue hypnotherapy benefits the people not the government. medication and all of that crap beneifts the government, hypnosis beneifts the hypnotist cos he gets about 100 a session for it and then government gets nothing."

Well, you do see hypnotherapy in hospital wards. Doctors use it and are taught it, psychologists and psychotherapists use it. So, it is used in medical settings. I think in American it is approved by one of the medical associations but my knowledge of the American health care world is limited so don't quote me on that one.

"hypnosis does work on mentally ill people, its been proven time and time again . it works better than meds cos it treats the root cause of the problem. all meds does is mask the problem , but the governement dont care".

Hypnosis doesn't work "on" anyone. It works with the person. It's a healing tool. Saying it works better than meds is dangerous. Yes, the "take a tablet to solve the problem" culture is dangerous but one cannot ignore the research and science behind how effective properly prescribed and monitored medication can be with mental health issues. Granted, the drug itself is not so much the point as the way the body responds to the drug and it's perfectly possible to get something similar going on using hypnosis. Each person is unique and the healing tools available can be used in combination until such a point where the person's own inbuilt healing tools and resources join the battle.

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 AM
SAS Member

what th f***

im not to educated ,but how that last post was linked it was hard to follow//my threads are hard but that was weird//i had 2 different hipnosis theropist //an they did a hell of a lot of talking//i have had the dvd,s of hipnosis// Donavan you say you have agoraphobia , has the hipnosis tape got you out the house an feeling free??????????? you say it relax,s you ,so does listening to an ENYA cd an its cheaper///// i agree with you on the theropy bit //i dont need to pay for friends ,thats what they try to be so you carry on spending//an the nhs free one,s are on there own planet// how does hipnosis correct the chemical imbalance in your brain like meds
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
im not to educated ,but how that last post was linked it was hard to follow//my threads are hard but that was weird//i had 2 different hipnosis theropist //an they did a hell of a lot of talking//i have had the dvd,s of hipnosis// Donavan you say you have agoraphobia , has the hipnosis tape got you out the house an feeling free??????????? you say it relax,s you ,so does listening to an ENYA cd an its cheaper///// i agree with you on the theropy bit //i dont need to pay for friends ,thats what they try to be so you carry on spending//an the nhs free one,s are on there own planet// how does hipnosis correct the chemical imbalance in your brain like meds
i think what you need to understand is that you dont have a chemical imbalance in your brain, dont beleive everything you are told. its easy for the medical inductrie and the government to say ''youve got a chemical imbalance in yuor brain so here take this pill to fix the imbalance ''

i think you should have a look at something called the nlp communication model and also read gillian butlers book which has the clark and wells model of social anxiety in it. if you look at those things you will realise how social anxiety works inside your mind and that it has nothing to do with a chemical inbalance

anxious feelings are not casued by a chemical imbalance (although they can be influenced to a certain degree by bad diet and things like that). the driving force behind anxious feelings and emotions is your thoughts and the driving force behind your thought si the unconcious mind filtering reality through yuor own beleifs and memories , thats it

when i said there is no talking in hypnosis what i meant is that the therapy session is not like counselling were you just sit there and talk about your probelms and expect them to get better. the main chunk of a hypnosis session is the actual part were you are put under hypnosis and then try and fix the probelm in the mind. part of the session involves the hypnotist telling you a story, this is just a metaphor that reaches you on an unconcious level and is designed to combine with the actual hypnosis part

yes the hypnosis cd has helped me get out of the house feeling free

i said it relaxes me cos you said people with mental health probelms cant use hypnosis cos it only works if you relax. i was merely pointing out that i can relax even though i have mental health problems
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinmartin View Post
"yes you do have to be in a relaxed state of mind to be hypnotised and anybody can relax . im social phobic and agoraphobic , ive got all kinds of worries going through my mind every second of the day but when it comes to listening to a hypnosis cd i can easily relax".

You don't have to be in a relaxed state of mind to be "hypnotised". You've got all kinds of worries going through your mind every second of the day. Which means you're creating a "worry trance". Heck, with a lot of those worries you're probably also moving back and forth between the present and possible negative futures. Yet another trance.

The "conscious mind" and "subconscious" minds are pretty much metaphors. I say "pretty much" because there is some science talking about a part at the back of the brain which some have interpreted as being the physical manifestation of the "subconscious" mind but that is open to interpretation and challenge. For the most part, such things are worked on as metaphors and certainly aren't the only models or metaphors for the mind out there.

"nope hypnotherapy is not counselling. hypnotherapy is like getting a technision out to fix your tv, hpnosis fixing the fault in your mind. counselling is just endless talking , there is no talking in hypnosis."

There is talking involved in hypnosis quite a lot of the time. Particularly in hypnotherapy. And yes, hypnotherapy is a form of counselling. It's used in counselling and psychotherapy. I know as I've been trained in hypnotherapy as part of my psychotherapy course. Hypnosis doesn't "fix the problem". You fix the problem. The client fixes the problem.

"the reason the therapy bit is ont he end of hypnosis is because hypnosis can be used for fun like getting osmeone to act a like a chicken on stage".

Getting someone to....? You can't use hypnosis to make people do anything they don't want to do.

, "and then youve got the type of hypnosis that is not for fun , its for helping people change their probelems, and thats were the therapy thing on the end comes from".

Well, it's the application of hypnosis (and sometimes NLP and other stuff too) in a therapeutic context.

"the reason youve never seen a hypnotherapy ward in a mental hospital is becasue hypnotherapy benefits the people not the government. medication and all of that crap beneifts the government, hypnosis beneifts the hypnotist cos he gets about 100 a session for it and then government gets nothing."

Well, you do see hypnotherapy in hospital wards. Doctors use it and are taught it, psychologists and psychotherapists use it. So, it is used in medical settings. I think in American it is approved by one of the medical associations but my knowledge of the American health care world is limited so don't quote me on that one.

"hypnosis does work on mentally ill people, its been proven time and time again . it works better than meds cos it treats the root cause of the problem. all meds does is mask the problem , but the governement dont care".

Hypnosis doesn't work "on" anyone. It works with the person. It's a healing tool. Saying it works better than meds is dangerous. Yes, the "take a tablet to solve the problem" culture is dangerous but one cannot ignore the research and science behind how effective properly prescribed and monitored medication can be with mental health issues. Granted, the drug itself is not so much the point as the way the body responds to the drug and it's perfectly possible to get something similar going on using hypnosis. Each person is unique and the healing tools available can be used in combination until such a point where the person's own inbuilt healing tools and resources join the battle.
You don't have to be in a relaxed state of mind to be "hypnotised"

actually you do. hypnosis works by accessing the unconcious mind. in order to access the unconcious mind you have to lower your brain waves to a level called theta i think. to reach the theta state you must relax. if you are trained in hypnosis i thought you would no something like that

The "conscious mind" and "subconscious" minds are pretty much metaphors

that made me laugh it really did. the mind is split into two parts - concious and unconcious. the uncocnious mind looks after your breathing , heart beat and internal organs etc..., it organises and stores all of your memories, it takes in ,millions of bits of info every second from your 5 senses. the unconcious mind is not a metaphor , the unconcious mind is as real as your heart and your feet and your hear. seriously bro i think you need to do your research

yes there is talking involved in a hypnosis sessions but its just methaphors using the metar model , its designed in such a way that it will reach the unconcious part of you and produce and change there when combined with the actual hypnotic part of the session. hypnosis is not a form of counselling. counselling is talking to somebody else about your problems. hypnosis is about using metaphors and fixing yor mind as if you would fix a tv that had a fault.
i have to agree with you when you say hypnosis doesnt fix the problem cos it does. take someone with a phobia of snakes, he panics when he see's a snake cos there is a fault in the way he percieves snakes in his mind. a hypnosis sessions will change the way he unconciously percieves snakes and then hey presto bring a snake into the room and he has a completely different reaction, he doesnt panic anymore infact he actually strokes the little fellow, and why ? cos the hypnosis session fixed the fault in his brain the same way an electrician would fix the fault in your tv. didnt you know that almost every hypnotherapist out there compairs the human mind to a computer ?
im also trained in hypnotherapy mate and guess what i dont go round blagging about it , you know why ? cos anyone on this forum could take a course with the next week and then come on here and say im trained in hypnosis. it meens diddly squat and that is blatantly obvious when youve got a guy coming on here claiming to be trained in hypnosis and then coming out with the most ludicroous remark that the unconcious mind is a metaphor

i didnt even say that . but you can influence someone to act like a chicken - FACT. on some level they were willing to be influenced but you still got them to act like a chicken and have no recolection of it

Hypnosis doesn't work "on" anyone. It works with the person. It's a healing tool. Saying it works better than meds is dangerous. Yes, the "take a tablet to solve the problem" culture is dangerous but one cannot ignore the research and science behind how effective properly prescribed and monitored medication can be with mental health issues. Granted, the drug itself is not so much the point as the way the body responds to the drug and it's perfectly possible to get something similar going on using hypnosis. Each person is unique and the healing tools available can be used in combination until such a point where the person's own inbuilt healing tools and resources join the battle.[/QUOTE]

it does work better than meds though so why not say it. meds masks the problem. stop using the meds and the problem is still there. i used meds int he past and yes they worked, they made me feel relaxed and calm but they gave me so many side effects that i decided to stop taking them and hey presto as soon as i stopped i felt anxious again , the problem was still there.
get someone who is scared of a snake and give them a hypnosis session and they are no longer scared of snakes and they stay that way for the rest of their lives, why? cos you fixed the root cause
im not saying hypnosis miraculously works on everyone all of the time, although the success rate is very high, in the 90% region im led to beleive . but what im saying is the whole theory of using hypnosis to change a probelm is better than the theory of using meds cos it fixes the root instead of masking the problem
there also the spiritual aspect to consider too. you have a problem that MUST be corrected. if you mask it with meds you have not fixed the probelm, its always going to be hanging over your head until you deal with it properly. its like being in 20 grand debt. you could flee the country and hide from your creditors, you may feel like youve got away with it but in all honesty yuo are still 20 grand in debt no matter what
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM
SAS Member

hmm

"when i said there is no talking in hypnosis what i meant is that the therapy session is not like counselling were you just sit there and talk about your probelms and expect them to get better. the main chunk of a hypnosis session is the actual part were you are put under hypnosis and then try and fix the probelm in the mind. part of the session involves the hypnotist telling you a story, this is just a metaphor that reaches you on an unconcious level and is designed to combine with the actual hypnosis part".

Counselling/psychotherapy is not "sitting there and talking about your problems and expecting them to get better". It's a therapeutic intervention. And you cannot be "put under" hypnosis. Under what? You're not "put" into anything. Guided and facilitated into, yes. Put under, no. And metaphors are not always used. And a "story" and "metaphor" are hypnosis anyway.

As for the chemical imbalance in the brain, well, sometimes it is present. Whether it's the cause of the problem or the reflection of the problem is unclear but there is often an issue with brain chemistry.

"i think you should have a look at something called the nlp communication model and also read gillian butlers book which has the clark and wells model of social anxiety in it. if you look at those things you will realise how social anxiety works inside your mind and that it has nothing to do with a chemical inbalance ".

NLP isn't hypnosis but I'm curious, which NLP communication model are you speaking of?

"anxious feelings are not casued by a chemical imbalance (although they can be influenced to a certain degree by bad diet and things like that). the driving force behind anxious feelings and emotions is your thoughts and the driving force behind your thought si the unconcious mind filtering reality through yuor own beleifs and memories , thats it ".

I'm no fan of the "meds first, ask question later" culture concerning mental health problems but one needs to be careful here. Saying that in all cases the problem isn't caused by a chemical imbalance or that one of the causes isn't a chemical imbalance is a sweeping assumption. Whether it is the problem itself or a reflection of or symptom of the problem, the chemical imbalance does often manifest.

There's also a massive debate about whether anxiety is an emotion or simply a response to emotions and feelings. Not sure "memories" count as a filter either. Contribution to a filter perhaps but not necessarily a filter by themselves. And whilst a lot of the problem is "in the head" (meaning it is being generated within, not that someone is making things up or being delusional), one must be careful and make sure they recognise that the mind and body are linked. The mind is part of the being/system. It's not all there is. When I broke my arm earlier this year, they didn't just sit there giving me pain killers to dull the pain receptors in my brain. They fixed the arm as best they could and gave me exercises and physio.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
"when i said there is no talking in hypnosis what i meant is that the therapy session is not like counselling were you just sit there and talk about your probelms and expect them to get better. the main chunk of a hypnosis session is the actual part were you are put under hypnosis and then try and fix the probelm in the mind. part of the session involves the hypnotist telling you a story, this is just a metaphor that reaches you on an unconcious level and is designed to combine with the actual hypnosis part".

Counselling/psychotherapy is not "sitting there and talking about your problems and expecting them to get better". It's a therapeutic intervention. And you cannot be "put under" hypnosis. Under what? You're not "put" into anything. Guided and facilitated into, yes. Put under, no. And metaphors are not always used. And a "story" and "metaphor" are hypnosis anyway.

As for the chemical imbalance in the brain, well, sometimes it is present. Whether it's the cause of the problem or the reflection of the problem is unclear but there is often an issue with brain chemistry.

"i think you should have a look at something called the nlp communication model and also read gillian butlers book which has the clark and wells model of social anxiety in it. if you look at those things you will realise how social anxiety works inside your mind and that it has nothing to do with a chemical inbalance ".

NLP isn't hypnosis but I'm curious, which NLP communication model are you speaking of?

"anxious feelings are not casued by a chemical imbalance (although they can be influenced to a certain degree by bad diet and things like that). the driving force behind anxious feelings and emotions is your thoughts and the driving force behind your thought si the unconcious mind filtering reality through yuor own beleifs and memories , thats it ".

I'm no fan of the "meds first, ask question later" culture concerning mental health problems but one needs to be careful here. Saying that in all cases the problem isn't caused by a chemical imbalance or that one of the causes isn't a chemical imbalance is a sweeping assumption. Whether it is the problem itself or a reflection of or symptom of the problem, the chemical imbalance does often manifest.

There's also a massive debate about whether anxiety is an emotion or simply a response to emotions and feelings. Not sure "memories" count as a filter either. Contribution to a filter perhaps but not necessarily a filter by themselves. And whilst a lot of the problem is "in the head" (meaning it is being generated within, not that someone is making things up or being delusional), one must be careful and make sure they recognise that the mind and body are linked. The mind is part of the being/system. It's not all there is. When I broke my arm earlier this year, they didn't just sit there giving me pain killers to dull the pain receptors in my brain. They fixed the arm as best they could and gave me exercises and physio.

i dont beleive i claimed nlp was hypnosis to be honest with you. the nlp communication model is an illustration of the mind which explains how your mind filters reality through your memories and beleifs , which in turn creates your automatic thoughts which then creates your state, and then state creates the behaviour

Not sure "memories" count as a filter either. Contribution to a filter perhaps but not necessarily a filter by themselves. And whilst a lot of the problem is "in the head" (meaning it is being generated within, not that someone is making things up or being delusional), one must be careful and make sure they recognise that the mind and body are linked. The mind is part of the being/system. It's not all there is. When I broke my arm earlier this year, they didn't just sit there giving me pain killers to dull the pain receptors in my brain. They fixed the arm as best they could and gave me exercises and physio.[/QUOTE]

well memories are an actual filter infact they are the driving filter i.e the most important and influential one. there are 5 filters - memories, beleifs, decisions, values and meta programms

if somebody with a phobia of snakes see's a snake then why do you think he panics? its becasue his mind filtered the information coming in through his memories. the reaon why the person with a phobia of snakes and the person who likes snakes, both react differently is becasue the person with the phobia has got a memorie of an incidant in the past which caused the phobia.
the mind and body are linked yes and if you are correct in saying that a chemical imbalance is what causes anxiety (which i dont agree with by the way ) then what casues the chemical imbalance ? it would be the mind. the thoughts effects the body , the mind creates the imbalance

your arm breaking metaphor was not the best example as the breaking of an arm is a PHYSICAL problem, social anxiety is a mental probelm and thats why its catagorized under ''mental health disorders''
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
"i dont beleive i claimed nlp was hypnosis to be honest with you. the nlp communication model is an illustration of the mind which explains how your mind filters reality through your memories and beleifs , which in turn creates your automatic thoughts which then creates your state, and then state creates the behaviour ".

Ah, deletion, distortion and generalisation. Models and metaphors. Illustration of. There's a phrase in NLP that the map is not the territory. The maps of the mind are not the mind.

"well memories are an actual filter infact they are the driving filter i.e the most important and influential one. there are 5 filters - memories, beleifs, decisions, values and meta programs".

Again, map is not the territory. Still not sure about memories being filters by themselves. Granted, you could interpret them as such. Certainly wouldn't put them as a driving filter above beliefs or values though.

"if somebody with a phobia of snakes see's a snake then why do you think he panics?" the reason why the person with a phobia of snakes and the person who likes snakes, both react differently".

How do you know they react differently?

"is becasue the person with the phobia has got a memorie of an incidant in the past which caused the phobia."

Assumption. Possible. Not necessarily true. Sometimes it happens like that. Sometimes phobias get caused for other reasons. A friend of mine has a phobia about ham slices and I asked her and she's never had a bad experience in her past with some ham.

"the mind and body are linked yes and if you are correct in saying that a chemical imbalance is what causes anxiety (which i dont agree with by the way ) then what casues the chemical imbalance ? it would be the mind. the thoughts effects the body , the mind creates the imbalance".

The system is one whole. However, I did not say that anxiety is caused by a chemical imbalance? I don't know what causes anxiety. There could and probably are many causes for anxiety. The imbalance could be the cause or it could be the reflection or the symptom. We don't know.

"your arm breaking metaphor was not the best example as the breaking of an arm is a PHYSICAL problem, social anxiety is a mental probelm and thats why its catagorized under ''mental health disorders''"

Actually, it is a good example because I'm talking about not simply assuming that the problem is in one particular place and applying one form of treatment to the place where you assume the problem is. I took pain killers and yes, they dulled the pain receptors in my brain and that helped. But my arm was still broken. Is the body and mind connected? Yes. But when I broke my arm there were two areas that needed treating for the healing process to be really effective. They didn't sit there and say "ah, your mind is a TV set and the problem is that you are feeling pain so we need to go inside and fix that fault". No, they treated the pain and they treated the arm. Hypnotherapy and NLP are valuable healing tools. So are meds and CBT and other interventions.

And I know SA is a mental disorder. Has a lot of physical manifestations though and can easily lead to physical disorders such as heart problems, panic attacks, chemical imbalances etc. All things that should not be ignored and should be treated as ways of dealing with the problem. You don't just go in with the idea that a person is defective or broken and they are some sort of TV or computer that needs fixing or returning to some imagined "norm". You throw everything you've got at the problem and help them make the positive changes they want to make in their lives.

I am training in hypnotherapy and psychotherapy and NLP. But I am not authority on the subject and have never claimed to be. The fact that I am training in psychotherapy is a fact not a boast. I have my position and I stand by it so we'll probably have to respectfully disagree on this one. I have the utmost respect for you and your training and I assume you have the same for mine so this is a debate not a slanging match.

The idea that the unconscious mind and conscious mind are metaphors is fairly widely discussed and understood in hypnotherapy and psychotherapy circles. Models and metaphors of the mind.
Ah, deletion, distortion and generalisation. Models and metaphors. Illustration of. There's a phrase in NLP that the map is not the territory. The maps of the mind are not the mind.

no not models and metaphors. what planet are you on. when i said illustration i literally meant illustration , a picture in a book of a persons head so yuo can look at it and then get an explanation underneath of how it works. im very aware of the phrase the map is not the territory but why you would use it in this example baffles me. delete distort and generalize is not some metaphor its what actaully happens .
every second of every day you are taking in millions of bits of info through your 5 senses THAT IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT - look it up. if you were conciously aware of all of those millions of bits of info you would go crazy. so the uncocnious mind takes in all of the info and filters it so that your concious mind is left with an amount that it can handle - THAT IS A FACT THAT IS WHAT ACTAULLY HAPPENS , it is not a metaphor

Again, map is not the territory. Still not sure about memories being filters by themselves. Granted, you could interpret them as such. Certainly wouldn't put them as a driving filter above beliefs or values though.

what the hell are you talking about map is not the teritory , seriously bro what are you on about ? o my god . memories are filters , and memories are real , they are the territory , what planet are you are on, who trained you in hypnosis and nlp , who is feeding you this garbage ?
dont you know that a beleif is attached to a memorie and its the finding of the memorie that activates the beleif ?

How do you know they react differently?

how do i know that a person with a phobia of snakes reacts differently to a person without a phobia of snakes ? seriosuly are you really asking me that question? are you for real ? ill let that question answer its self

"is becasue the person with the phobia has got a memorie of an incidant in the past which caused the phobia."

Assumption. Possible. Not necessarily true. Sometimes it happens like that. Sometimes phobias get caused for other reasons. A friend of mine has a phobia about ham slices and I asked her and she's never had a bad experience in her past with some ham.

your friend simply does not recall the incident that casued her phobia of ham. i have a lot of issue and i know what casued most of them but others i cannot recall were they came from. if you use time line therapy it always takes you back to the 1st memorie that casued the issue
even if a persons phobia of snakes was casued by simply watching yuor mother react badly around a snake and then modelling her behaviour, that is still a memorie, that is still the experience that caused the phobia.
even if your phobia comes from your mother saying ''watch out son snakes are dangerous , they kill you '' again thats still a momorie , an experiecne that caused the phobia
even if its something that you imagined that casued the phobia again its still a memorie. if you have a phobia of public speaking becasue one day you started imagining all of the things that could go wrong whilst speaking then those imaginations are still mememories
why are those imaginations still memories? well if youve been trained properly in hypnosis and nlp , which im sure you havent by the absolute garbage you come out with , then you will be able to answer that question yourself

I have the utmost respect for you and your training and I assume you have the same for mine so this is a debate not a slanging match.

im sorry i dont mean to be rude but i have absolutely no respect for your training becasue you have obviously been trained wrong cos some of the comments you come out with ont he sdubject of nlp and hypnosis are not only wrong but plain lunicy

The idea that the unconscious mind and conscious mind are metaphors is fairly widely discussed and understood in hypnotherapy and psychotherapy circles. Models and metaphors of the mind.[/QUOTE]

its scientific fact that the unconcious and concious mind are real. i dont know what else i can say , its a fact that yuor heart is real and its also a fact that your concious mind and unconcious mind are real. i just cant see your reason for a debate on thi subject
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
SAS Member

what

guys im sorry but you carnt read your posts//you keep qouteing each other an for some reason this website dont tell when a qoute has ended or started// why carnt you just reply //saves a lot of hassle// donavan you have a very crazy outlook on chemical imbalance,,serotonin an dopamine being the main ones///if the reuptake inhibitors are blocked it causes all sorts of clinical depression an bipolar//try telling a bipolal patient there is no chemical imbalance,what do you think causes there mood cicles the man in the moon//were not talking hipnosis on a chicken her ,we are talking complect brain scan,s// are you going to hipnotize there reuptake inhibitors//what is you answer to why people have bipolar an why meds wont an dont work ,when its plain to see they do// this is how it works to much of 1 chemical getting to the brain causes a reaction ,not enough of another causes a different reaction//meds work like antibiotics seeking out an putting thing right/// now how does hipnosis work on you brain again//all the thinks you mention are phobia,s like scared of spiders// i had one with elevators,after being stuck with 12 people in a 6 man elvator for 5 hour,s//you no how i curred that?????? not with hipnosis but rideing a hospital elevator all day till it clicked,, you have to face think head on to win// hipnosis will not cure a bipolar victim
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I have never tried it, but can see how others might want to do it. I think our anxiety is more like a bad habit. When it comes to the hypnotherapy area, I just don't want to end up cackling like a chicken when the doorbell rings.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
guys im sorry but you carnt read your posts//you keep qouteing each other an for some reason this website dont tell when a qoute has ended or started// why carnt you just reply //saves a lot of hassle// donavan you have a very crazy outlook on chemical imbalance,,serotonin an dopamine being the main ones///if the reuptake inhibitors are blocked it causes all sorts of clinical depression an bipolar//try telling a bipolal patient there is no chemical imbalance,what do you think causes there mood cicles the man in the moon//were not talking hipnosis on a chicken her ,we are talking complect brain scan,s// are you going to hipnotize there reuptake inhibitors//what is you answer to why people have bipolar an why meds wont an dont work ,when its plain to see they do// this is how it works to much of 1 chemical getting to the brain causes a reaction ,not enough of another causes a different reaction//meds work like antibiotics seeking out an putting thing right/// now how does hipnosis work on you brain again//all the thinks you mention are phobia,s like scared of spiders// i had one with elevators,after being stuck with 12 people in a 6 man elvator for 5 hour,s//you no how i curred that?????? not with hipnosis but rideing a hospital elevator all day till it clicked,, you have to face think head on to win// hipnosis will not cure a bipolar victim
i didnt say meds dont work. they do work ive tried them but they dont work in the long run. if you have SA then yes take meds and you will feel calm but as soon as you stop the meds you feel anxious again hence they dont work in the long run. all they do is mask the problem for as long as you take them. they dont fix the problem

what you mentioned about overcoming your fear of elevators is a classic example of the unconcious mind in motion. you ride the elevator and nothing bad happens and you feel safe. you keep doing it and all of these experiences are stored in your memorie banks. then the next time you ride the elevator your unconcious mind filters the event through your meories and it finds no anxiety or bad experiences . it would have worked a lot faster if you combined your exposure with hypnosis

***Statement removed by MM75***
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
SAS Member

let down

donavan you let youself down there my man// ***EDIT*** im self taught a the 3 rrrrrs plus im dyslexic,, but i wrote all this in my first post//i have been ill all my life so education took a back seat //***EDIT*** hipnosis is a joke that belongs in the circus
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
donavan you let youself down there my man// ***EDIT*** im self taught a the 3 rrrrrs plus im dyslexic,, but i wrote all this in my first post//i have been ill all my life so education took a back seat //***EDIT*** hipnosis is a joke that belongs in the circus
yer it must do if you say so , ill take your word for it
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 AM
SAS Member

believe in or dont believe thats all

when i see a group of mental health patients in full depression,lined up on a stage//an a hipnotist cures them all in a session //i will believe you. ok i tried it an i dont believe it //just like you in saying there is no chemical imbalance,// i believe there is /// benzo,s mask your probs thats true but without them suicide would be more common than the addiction they cause//if you read an earlier post of mine i say im addicted to ativan 10-mg a day at one time//not now but still addicted to 4mg after a long an painful col turkey forced withdrawl of 6mg// antidepressants dont mask your prob ,the work on iliminating it/if you have a depressive illness that returns an returns ,like%90 of cronic clinical depressives// meds are you first an only line of defence//ok they wont cure you //but they can put you in remission buy doing the thing you dont believe //altering the chemical imbalance//once the brain is used to the med then you find another //it goes on an on an on//this is my life an a lot more people //the bottom line is hipnosis wont help my chemical imbalance thats all im saying//if a smoker goes to hipnosis he can be cured without detox //but if i went with a 10 mg a day ativan addiction hipnosis wouldnt cure me only a painful detox would do that
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
when i see a group of mental health patients in full depression,lined up on a stage//an a hipnotist cures them all in a session //i will believe you. ok i tried it an i dont believe it //just like you in saying there is no chemical imbalance,// i believe there is /// benzo,s mask your probs thats true but without them suicide would be more common than the addiction they cause//if you read an earlier post of mine i say im addicted to ativan 10-mg a day at one time//not now but still addicted to 4mg after a long an painful col turkey forced withdrawl of 6mg// antidepressants dont mask your prob ,the work on iliminating it/if you have a depressive illness that returns an returns ,like%90 of cronic clinical depressives// meds are you first an only line of defence//ok they wont cure you //but they can put you in remission buy doing the thing you dont believe //altering the chemical imbalance//once the brain is used to the med then you find another //it goes on an on an on//this is my life an a lot more people //the bottom line is hipnosis wont help my chemical imbalance thats all im saying//if a smoker goes to hipnosis he can be cured without detox //but if i went with a 10 mg a day ativan addiction hipnosis wouldnt cure me only a painful detox would do that
a hypnotherapist wouldnt have mental health patients lined up on a stage. theres adifference between hypnosis and hypnoTHERAPY.

suicide is actaully a risk when taking medication. before i took meds i was not depressed , 3 weeks after taking them i was suicidal. i look at the leaflet in the box and it said ''side effects can include suicidal thoughts''. i stopped taking them and i was no longer suicidal

ok lets hypothetically say that you do have a chemical imbalalnce in your brain. well was causes that chemical imbalance ? there has to be a cause. the casue is your mind. you mind is what creates your emotions and your emotions are what create the chemicals in your body. mind and body are intimitly linked. did you know that the emotion anxiety can create all kins of digestive disorders such as irritable bowl syndrome? an emotion can effect the body like that cos mind and body are linked.

so if you take meds you will mask it for a bit. then you stop meds and the root casue is still there. your mind is still working in a way that creates anxious emotions , and these emotions just create the chemical imbalance again no matter how many meds youve taking in the past . whats the answer, stay on meds for life ? no thanks . id rather treat the root cause so that the imbalance never occurs again
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

true

im not talking your mind, is your brain that has the chemical imbalance//i can change my mind any time i like ??????but not my brain//suicidal thoughts on antidepressants ,there is a chance of that in the first few weeks i thought every one new that//the meds are entering your brain though your blood to attack the problem //you are all over the place the first few week till your brain ajust,s//you say you didnt have depression till you took the meds????why did you take the meds then in the first place ,that dont make sence
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
im not talking your mind, is your brain that has the chemical imbalance//i can change my mind any time i like ??????but not my brain//suicidal thoughts on antidepressants ,there is a chance of that in the first few weeks i thought every one new that//the meds are entering your brain though your blood to attack the problem //you are all over the place the first few week till your brain ajust,s//you say you didnt have depression till you took the meds????why did you take the meds then in the first place ,that dont make sence
i took the meds for anxiety not for depression. yes im fully aware that the suicidal thoughts are only a side effect for the 1st few weeks whilst the drug is kicking it but i felt that bad that i had to stop taking them otherwize i wouldnt have made it through the 1st few weeks. im sure many have taken there lives during the 1st few weeks due to those side effects.

if the chemical imbalance is in your brain then what causes the imbalance ? it would be the mind. but im not even intirely sure that you can seperate mind and brain and call them 2 different things. is the brain not the mind ?
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
SAS Member

I have tried it (i went 3 times), it didn't work for me either becasue I couldn't relax or because there is a part of me that likes being quiet. My hypnotherapist said that it will work aslong as you believe it can and if you want it to. So it all depends on the siduation you are in.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavan View Post
i took the meds for anxiety not for depression. yes im fully aware that the suicidal thoughts are only a side effect for the 1st few weeks whilst the drug is kicking it but i felt that bad that i had to stop taking them otherwize i wouldnt have made it through the 1st few weeks. im sure many have taken there lives during the 1st few weeks due to those side effects.

if the chemical imbalance is in your brain then what causes the imbalance ? it would be the mind. but im not even intirely sure that you can seperate mind and brain and call them 2 different things. is the brain not the mind ?
the mind is a product of the brain//the brain is the computer//the mind is the software// tell me, so you dont take any meds now then.//im sure a lot more took there lives who never took meds, than did takeing them

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page