Has anyone tried hypnotherapy? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 772

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?


I followed a link to an advert off this site to someone that does hypnotherapy. I wondered if it really works, or if anyone has tried it?

I noticed he does things like driving tests, interviews and those quit smoking in 1 hour and wondered about interviews as I get scared silly and worry for weeks.
I am hesitant because of the price £95 1-2 sessions suggestion therapy and £60 for up to 12 sessions for stuff like SA - Pure Hypnoanalytical therapy (Hypno-analysis, Analytical hypnotherapy).
Also I have just started psycho/schema therapy.
shy_chick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 251

Re: Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?


good luck with the schema

I reeeaally wanna know about the hypnotherapy too

I swear, I cant get any information on this for the life of me

I may have to just try it myself. but then comes the question: whos a real hypnotherapist and whos a scammer who will say "well it doesnt work on everyone, but thanks for the money, sucka"
~AJ~ is offline  
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 772

Re: Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?


There are testimonials on the website, but these are bound to be positive.......
When I googled a lot of websites selling hypnotherapy came up which are going to have biased information.

I contacted the "therapist" I found http://www.jonfroggatt.co.uk/ (advertised on this site), but cannot get an appointment at a time I can make, so would have to look for someone else. Somehow I am a lot less motivated to do this as this guy just came across as good and I had a good feeling. Sticking with psychotherapy I suppose.

He said
I can most certainly help you and you've found the right person. Give me a call and we can arrange for you to come in for a free consultation. It will give you a change to meet myself and it will give me a chance to understand you better and explain why you're feeling what you're are, and why and how I can help you. It will also give me a chance to gauge whether 1-2 sessions of suggestion therapy will benefit you or a full-course of Pure Hypnoanalysis. Basically though, from what you've written, the best course of action
would be hypno-analysis, This is the only therapy in the world that will permanently deal with your anxiety. Suggestion therapy and other therapies on the web (CBT,NLP,EFT,EMDR etc..) are more like a temporary quick fix, a coping mechanism if you like and lets face it, its not much fun 'coping' in life when you don't have to. [details on contacting him etc etc].

Bit controversial about CBT i.e. supposed to best treatment for SA, and cheesy opening line.
shy_chick is offline  
 
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Posts: 9,208

Re: Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?


^
It sounds like something someone would say on one of those paid programming TV shows with the host who keeps acting impressed with everything the person "selling" has to say.

"That's unbelievable, Ken!!"

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
ardrum is offline  
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 772

Re: Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?



My partner just keeps quoting a hypnotist sketch back at me from little Britain.

I emailed another hypnotherapist and he too only works office hours due to work volume. I left 2 phone numbers and an email address on an answerphone but the 3rd one has not got back to me.
Looks like I will stay with my current therapist for now.
shy_chick is offline  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2

Re: Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?



Yessss! A couple of years ago i saw someone for my fear of public speaking. I had to give a speech in school,like other times, but knew i couldnt keep giving excuses as to why i cant give speech and let my grades suffer. Anytime i knew i had to give a speech i made myself sick w/worry.....Anyways, i saw this hypnotherapist one time and it did help me. All he did was talk to me when i was in a diff state of consciousness(relaxed) and asked me to picture something that relaxes me(i picked the beach @ sunset w/rolling waves) and to imagine that feeling while im up there giving my speech. It did help me! I felt better when i was in front of all my classmates and right before my speech. I still felt a little nervous,but hypno said better to have a little nervous energy in you. I probably shouldve seen him again but no more speeches have come up! If you want it to work, you cant be a skeptic or else you wont let yourself go and relax... I strongly suggest you try it!

I just read all of your orig post..all i can say is make sure this guy is a licensed hynotherapist or better yet a psychologist/therapist! Your psychologist didnt have a recommendation?!?! I guess im lucky, this guy was a colleague of my mom's and family friend. Has to be someone you trust!
shygirl71 is offline  
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Call Me !!!!
 
seanybhoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scotland
Age: 35
Posts: 4,066

Re: Has anyone tried hypnotherapy?


I start hypnotherapy in a fortnight at my next shrink appointment.
I hope it works and that it's not just a case of "look into the eyes" ,"look into the eyes" and make me quack like a duck and **** like that but nah seriously i hope it helps me to help myself so to speak.

Keep it simple
seanybhoy is offline  
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:54 PM
SAS Member
 
EmilieAutumnMuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 8
I've wanted to, but I chicken out :P
EmilieAutumnMuffin is offline  
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 AM
SAS Member
 
Hamtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Posts: 725
I'd do it but only if i knew or trusted the person.
Hamtown is offline  
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Previously banned under other name
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 332
i think hypnotherpay is brilliant. you are best just doing it in your own home with hypnosis cd's instead of going to see an actuall therapist. you can get great results with the cds

the problem with going to see a therapist is that you never know wether you'll get a good one or a bad one. ive went to see several bad ones in the past and wasted money.

find a good cd on the internet and try it out. again though a word of caution there are some really poor cds out there, you need to find a top quality one
donavan is offline  
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:00 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Hi yes i have. Luckinly I found a really good one and he helped me address where my anxiety was really coming from. He got be back on track and gave me some confidence back. Its not a cure though. It just helps you to relax and in some cases like mine they will use regression therapy to take you back to to issues that have been unaddressed. I would definately say give it a try but be sure that the person is registered.
ajoplin is offline  
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM
SAS Member
 
Tooshay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
I know someone who is a "certified hypnotherapist" and he tried to hypnotize me but it wasn't possible. He tells me that 10% of people can't be hypnotized. I guess I'm part of that percentage. *shrug*
Tooshay is offline  
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Previously banned under other name
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooshay View Post
I know someone who is a "certified hypnotherapist" and he tried to hypnotize me but it wasn't possible. He tells me that 10% of people can't be hypnotized. I guess I'm part of that percentage. *shrug*
thats actually not true. all hypnosis is is a deep state of relaxation, its not some form of magic. when you relax to a certain extent your brain waves change, i think when you are in hypnosis your brainwaves are theta or something like that and when you are consious they might be called beta.

when you brainwaves are at theta you have access to your unconcious mind and that is exactly what hypnosis is, its just a form of deep relaxation that lets you access your unconcious mind. to put a person into hypnosis you simply have them take a few deep breathes and then have them relax each muscle in their body individually , and usually some 60 beats per minute music is played that helps to lower the brain waves to theta, thats it , its extremely simple.

if this guy is telling you that 10% of people cannot relax then im afraid he is mistaken. people unintentionally go into hypnosis on their own many times during a day without even realising it. A person who is driving on a freeway, and discovers that they can't recall the last five miles, is often in a theta state--induced by the process of freeway driving

i have heard that some people cannot be hypnotised on stage e.g they cannot be manipulated into thinking that they are a chicken , or losing their memorie. stage hypnosis does not work on everybody, but i dont know how stage hypnosis works. i do however know how hypnotherapy works and that is simply reaching the theta state through relaxation and 100% of people can access the theta state
donavan is offline  
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,904

hmm


Right, as a trainee psychotherapist maybe I can provide some answers on this. Do not take my advice as that of a qualified professional.

If this guy has told you that what he will do in a therapy session will cure you or permanently remove your problem then boy is he in dangerous territory. If I did that that would be enough to strike me off before I even qualified. I had to sign a very long piece of paper where I promised not to ever say I could cure anyone of anything. A good therapist knows that the true agent of change is the client.

Hypnosis Cds and downloads are okay. But there is a slight problem. Some of them use the whole "you can now visualise a beach" induction which assumes that absolutely everyone finds the idea of being on a beach on their own relaxing. And if the induction starts making you feel opposite feelings to being relaxed then you may well have a problem.

My friends Adam Eason, Joseph Clough, Glenn Harrold, Nick Kemp, Steve G Jones, Viv Craske, Nicholas Finnegan, Roseanna Leaton do some great recordings. I get no commission whatsoever for recommending them. I do so because I know them and have seen their work and trust their integrity. Oh, and hypnoshop.com do some good downloads too. And the recordings from one of my biggest influences, Richard Bandler, are also good.

Can hypnosis make you do something you don't want to do? Erm...in a word: NO. If it could there would be no problem. You'd just hypnotise someone and tell them: "you are now amazingly confident" and they suddenly would be.

Does the therapist generate the state? Nope. The client does. The therapist is a guide. I've done this and in my learning I tried guiding one person in hypnosis to think about one thing but she was off having a lot of fun swimming in her mind (she told me afterwards). Indeed, being in a state of hypnosis puts you more in control of yourself than you may have been before.

Stage hypnosis works through selecting people who want to go up and have a good time. The hypnotist seeks out volunteers and sees what suggestions they will follow and whether they are comfortable having a bit of fun.

The reason you want to find a qualified therapist is because is not because of the hypnosis but because of the issue. Some people are trained in one thing and not another and a responsible therapist will, if they feel the need to do so, refer you to someone better qualified to treat your problem.

You also need to have some sort of rapport with the therapist. If you don't like the therapist's voice, it makes it quite difficult. That goes for hypnosis cds too. I'm currently spending a lot of time on my training working on my voice.

I'm going to say again: when you're in hypnosis, you are in control. Indeed, many people describe it as a state of heightened awareness. Some describe it as a state of heightened focus but come on, your mind is powerful enough to create negative fears and phobias to imprison you. That is a massively powerful force with your best interests at heart. Yes, it gets it wrong sometimes. But boy has it been trying to protect you already so it's going to do the same thing working in hypnosis with a therapist.

You've been in a state of hypnosis for a while if you've got a problem like SA or Social phobia. You've hypnotised yourself to believe terrible things will happen if you go out and socialise. You hypnotise yourself by imagining scenarios where you socialise and everybody hates you or acts badly towards you. Your mind keeps the fear going and the fear dictates how you react in situations. Then there's your beliefs and the filters you use to see the world, all hypnotising yourself into a negative state. None of that could have happened without your authority. Indeed, it gets its power because it has your backing. Negative experiences are so often encoded in a variety of sensory ways that they are enough for you to hypnotise yourself into a negative view of reality.

I've seen on youtube some very, very bad videos about hypnosis where people have shown disrespect to clients. This had nothing to do with hypnosis. One child in a school used the handshake induction and was very forceful with the girl's arm and a lot of people do get the idea into their heads that learning these hypnotic techniques somehow gives them power over other people. It does not and it cannot.

My friend, Adam Eason has a website at (www.adam-eason.com) and he may be able to explain things in greater depth than I can.

It's about changing state and perspective. The conscious and the subconscious mind are largely metaphors that don't actually exist. There is some science that some people have used to suggest that the subconscious mind has a physical presence in the brain but that is open to interpretation and challenge. Basically, it's a metaphor of the mind or a metaphor for the mind.

The very fact that you're reading this means you're interested in hypnosis and the fact you're interested in hypnosis means you want to find out about hypnotherapy and the fact that you're wanting to learn about hypnotherapy means you're thinking about the many benefits it can bring you.
percyblueraincoat is offline  
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Previously banned under other name
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by joinmartin View Post
Right, as a trainee psychotherapist maybe I can provide some answers on this. Do not take my advice as that of a qualified professional.

If this guy has told you that what he will do in a therapy session will cure you or permanently remove your problem then boy is he in dangerous territory. If I did that that would be enough to strike me off before I even qualified. I had to sign a very long piece of paper where I promised not to ever say I could cure anyone of anything. A good therapist knows that the true agent of change is the client.

Hypnosis Cds and downloads are okay. But there is a slight problem. Some of them use the whole "you can now visualise a beach" induction which assumes that absolutely everyone finds the idea of being on a beach on their own relaxing. And if the induction starts making you feel opposite feelings to being relaxed then you may well have a problem.

My friends Adam Eason, Joseph Clough, Glenn Harrold, Nick Kemp, Steve G Jones, Viv Craske, Nicholas Finnegan, Roseanna Leaton do some great recordings. I get no commission whatsoever for recommending them. I do so because I know them and have seen their work and trust their integrity. Oh, and hypnoshop.com do some good downloads too. And the recordings from one of my biggest influences, Richard Bandler, are also good.

Can hypnosis make you do something you don't want to do? Erm...in a word: NO. If it could there would be no problem. You'd just hypnotise someone and tell them: "you are now amazingly confident" and they suddenly would be.

Does the therapist generate the state? Nope. The client does. The therapist is a guide. I've done this and in my learning I tried guiding one person in hypnosis to think about one thing but she was off having a lot of fun swimming in her mind (she told me afterwards). Indeed, being in a state of hypnosis puts you more in control of yourself than you may have been before.

Stage hypnosis works through selecting people who want to go up and have a good time. The hypnotist seeks out volunteers and sees what suggestions they will follow and whether they are comfortable having a bit of fun.

The reason you want to find a qualified therapist is because is not because of the hypnosis but because of the issue. Some people are trained in one thing and not another and a responsible therapist will, if they feel the need to do so, refer you to someone better qualified to treat your problem.

You also need to have some sort of rapport with the therapist. If you don't like the therapist's voice, it makes it quite difficult. That goes for hypnosis cds too. I'm currently spending a lot of time on my training working on my voice.

I'm going to say again: when you're in hypnosis, you are in control. Indeed, many people describe it as a state of heightened awareness. Some describe it as a state of heightened focus but come on, your mind is powerful enough to create negative fears and phobias to imprison you. That is a massively powerful force with your best interests at heart. Yes, it gets it wrong sometimes. But boy has it been trying to protect you already so it's going to do the same thing working in hypnosis with a therapist.

You've been in a state of hypnosis for a while if you've got a problem like SA or Social phobia. You've hypnotised yourself to believe terrible things will happen if you go out and socialise. You hypnotise yourself by imagining scenarios where you socialise and everybody hates you or acts badly towards you. Your mind keeps the fear going and the fear dictates how you react in situations. Then there's your beliefs and the filters you use to see the world, all hypnotising yourself into a negative state. None of that could have happened without your authority. Indeed, it gets its power because it has your backing. Negative experiences are so often encoded in a variety of sensory ways that they are enough for you to hypnotise yourself into a negative view of reality.

I've seen on youtube some very, very bad videos about hypnosis where people have shown disrespect to clients. This had nothing to do with hypnosis. One child in a school used the handshake induction and was very forceful with the girl's arm and a lot of people do get the idea into their heads that learning these hypnotic techniques somehow gives them power over other people. It does not and it cannot.

My friend, Adam Eason has a website at (www.adam-eason.com) and he may be able to explain things in greater depth than I can.

It's about changing state and perspective. The conscious and the subconscious mind are largely metaphors that don't actually exist. There is some science that some people have used to suggest that the subconscious mind has a physical presence in the brain but that is open to interpretation and challenge. Basically, it's a metaphor of the mind or a metaphor for the mind.

The very fact that you're reading this means you're interested in hypnosis and the fact you're interested in hypnosis means you want to find out about hypnotherapy and the fact that you're wanting to learn about hypnotherapy means you're thinking about the many benefits it can bring you.
i know joseph clough, he is great. his hypnosis cd's are up there with the best ive ever used and beleive me ive used a lot of different hypnosis cd's before. he has a lot of cd's specifically designed for social anxiety too, like overcoming shyness, no more self conciousness, no more blushing etc....

i have to totally disagree with you on the hypnoshop.com though as these are without out doubt some of the worst recordings ive every tried, really poor.

i have had a few sessions with joseph clough myself and they were money well spent. this is why i advise caution when going to see a therapist and paying big money for a few sessions because before joseph i went to see about 3 or 4 different therapist who didnt help me and i wasted hundreds of pounds on them. one of them had never even heard of social anxiety before and had no experience of treating clients with this particular problem therefore he was powerless to help me. the others had heard of sa and had treating sa clients before but unfortunately they were poor hypnotherapists

thats the porr they either have no experience with your particular issue, or they are just simply bad at their job. its not hard to certified in hypnosis, anyone can do that but just because you are certified doesnt mean you are good infact it doesnt even mean you are capable

with joseph clough i found that not only was he a great hypnotherapist and good at his job but also he knew everything about social anxiety because he used to be an ex suffer himself and overcame it himself too.

when looking for ahterapist you need to do some research on them and make sure they asre proven quality hypnotherapists and not just some micky mouse guy. you also need to make sure they know all about your problem and that they have experience of treating others witht he same probelm too
donavan is offline  
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
SAS Member
 
iDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MD
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
Tried it for a day 2 years ago and never went back. TOO weird for me. Not my kind of thing. I just went along with a regular therapist for a year and it helped me a lot. Just my opinion.
iDude is offline  
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Gamer
 
Sadaiyappan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: I'm from a suburb near Chicago, and now I am near Trichy Tamil Nadu India.
Gender: Male
Age: 36
Posts: 559
I've tried this. It didn't help much. Maybe I had a bad therapist.
Sadaiyappan is offline  
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 11:37 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795

hypnotherapy


its a load of crap// some tape of the sea crashing against the shore,just made me want to have a piss//i may be cool for stopping smoking,they may give you the right push//but mental probs no way they carnt penatate a damaged brain//you have all on consantrating on liveing ,to listed to this ****//all i got from it was an empty wallet// i nuked it fast
foxy is offline  
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Previously banned under other name
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
its a load of crap// some tape of the sea crashing against the shore,just made me want to have a piss//i may be cool for stopping smoking,they may give you the right push//but mental probs no way they carnt penatate a damaged brain//you have all on consantrating on liveing ,to listed to this ****//all i got from it was an empty wallet// i nuked it fast
no its not a load of crap.

everything problem in the world is caused by negative behaviour e.g the social phobic doesnt speak and avoids things, the smoker puts the cigerette in his mouth. and all behaviours and created by our mental states e.g happy states, anxious states , sad states etc... basically our emotions. and our emotions and mental states are the result of the automatic thoughts and images in our concious minds. and the thoughts and images in our mind are always created by our UNCONCIOUS minds filtering reality in a specific way that is due to the individual memories and beleifs that you personally hold in your unconcious mind.

the uncocnious mind is the root of the problem. if you didnt have those beleifs and memories in your unconcious mind then your mind wouldnt filter reality in such a way that you end up in an anxious state and then behave in an avoidant manner.

hypnosis is a tool that enables you to access the unconcious mind and change the probelm at the root . how is that a load of crap. i would call counselling and medication a load of crap
donavan is offline  
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:43 AM
SAS Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: england
Gender: Male
Posts: 795

half true


i thought hypnotheropy was counselling /thats why the therapy bit is on the end//what im saying you have to be in a relaxed state of mind to have any chance of being hypnotised//and mentaly ill peoples minds are not relaxed unless on meds// i have never seen in any mental hospital i have been in /// the hypnotheropy ward//i believe it dosent work on a mentally ill person
foxy is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypnotherapy Helena_SAS Psychotherapy 96 04-29-2018 09:56 AM
Going to try hypnotherapy Pongle Triumphs Over Social Anxiety 7 09-25-2014 11:57 PM
Should I try hypnotherapy?? brainfog Coping With Social Anxiety 9 12-13-2009 05:26 PM
Hypnotherapy MissSA Therapy 2 07-06-2009 05:45 PM
Hypnotherapy Bredwh Therapy 4 02-01-2009 08:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome