Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Group Therapy

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ColdFury 
#1 ·
My therapist wants me to go into group therapy. I'd like to get some more information before I consider it. What's group therapy like? Could somebody give me a run down of their experience? Like what happens from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave?

#2 ·
I just started doing it so ive only been to one session...but i can already tell that it is really going to elp me. Part of the reason I am so relieved to talk to other people about it is because I was feeling very lonely lately, and now I can openly express my feelings, thoughts, concerns etc. Its very liberating but sometimes emotional to just let it "all out"...anyways I cant tell you much about it yet, and i dont know your situation, but I would say DO IT. If you dont like it, you can always quit, nothing is set in stone. Good luck.

#3 ·
Speaking from personal experience, I loved my time in group therapy. Not that it cured all of my problems or anything, but it put me in direct contact with others who were going through some of the same problems I was. Myself and many of the other long lasting members of the group became friends and we even met a few times outside of the group. It's too bad that the head therapist had to move cause the guy who replaced him wasn't very good and people stopped coming and eventually I did too.

So by all means go. It will probably be awkward at first, but you will eventually get comfortable. I would usually look down at the floor when I was talking about all my intimate problems in front of the group so that I could at least pretend I was only talking to myself.

Good luck!! :banana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.