EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
SAS Member

I agree, the placebo effect works...as long as you believe it. People with severe anxiety and depression have trouble believing in therapies, that is why a placebo has little effect on them, and many times none. Studies show people with moderate or milder disorders react much stronger to the placebo effect.

So again, why not use therapies proven better than a placebo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
SAS Member

I'd have to agree with jook. I mean, I'm a man of science, but if tapping on my head and saying things to myself gets rid of my social anxiety, ill do it all day long. the mind works in mysterious ways, that science will never be able to figure out.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM
SAS Member

Ugh...

Judging by the posts I get the feeling that people don't know what a placebo is, so lets push the concept aside at least for one sentence.

You should allocate your hard earned free time into therapies that are proven to be better, like CBT and medication. (EFT is no better than a placebo, CBT and medication are better than placebos, therefore CBT and medication work better than EFT)

Logic 101. People with severe disorders have a weak placebo effect. EFT is no more effective than a placebo. Therefore, EFT have little effect on anxiety disorders on the severe end of the spectrum.

I mean, this isn't rocket science. If something is proven to be no better than taking a sugar pill, why not just take a sugar pill? You'll save time any money. (assuming the therapy isn't free) Unless you have the money to try every therapy, why not take the most effective therapy? You'll save money.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jook View Post
Again, I'll quote you:

And again, I'll say, if "it'll make you feel better" who cares who it makes rich or why it works as long as nobody is harmed. Negativism hinders people who preach it and people who listen to it. There's no reason to discourage someone else from trying something because YOU don't believe it works. And besides, what doesn't work for you might work for someone else perhaps only because they had the audacity to believe in it.

There are many, MANY people who have attested to lasting benefits from EFT. People who have suffered with disorders as dastardly as PTSD, Depression, Panic Attacks and different forms of anxiety. I don't care if you call it placebo or gazebo effect. If it helps bring it on!
Who said I don't believe in it? Of course it works. The placebo effect has been working for thousands of years in many cultures and religions. I just think it's opportunistic to make money out of it. It should be studied to find out how it works so everyone can benefit. Meditation is similar, and it's also scientific.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Just me being me

Bottom line, EFT has helped many people alleviate all types of suffering. I personally know it has helped me with social anxiety. And I am a big time skeptic because there are so many scams out there. I was surprised that in spite of my misgivings, I felt relief.

One assett that EFT has is that it isn't mental so you can't "out think" it. You're just tapping on a few spots on your body and something happens that seems to break through the emotional energy field that has built up in the body. That's my own poor attempt at explaining what seems to happen. Try it yourself and make your own assessment.

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy,the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness."
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jook View Post
You can find more examples of tapping for different issues at http://www.emofree.com/freevideos.aspx
Thanks for the vid. Weird. ALL of those points I know about just from massaging myself when I cannot sleep. The face especially. The one under the nose works really well. Just put and hold your finger there. Works for me anyway. Also the bottom of the chin or under the chin. I know for a fact that the hand points are acupressure points, and he says as much on the website. Well that ETF is based on accupressure in part. Really pricey though. Anyone have it wanna put it on Torrent? hahaha. I'm not gonna pay like $1000+ for that. I guess I'll stick to the free videos.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 AM
3rd SAS Battalion

A book on EFT costs about $14.99 from Amazon, you don't need to buy DVDs or go on courses unless you're incredibly serious about it. I have two books on it, I am very good at EFT and have never spent more than the cost of two books.

There will always be naysayers when it comes to EFT.

In short: even if all the tapping is, is a distraction: this distraction facilitates the moving of memories between the hippocampus and neocortex of the brain. This has been proven by Harvard in a journal on eye movements during EMDR research.

And I'm not going to debate with those who just don't buy this idea. EFT looks weird and that's enough to put people off - those people can stay with their tried and tested method of listening to their psychiatrist tell them they're messed up because they didn't get a bicycle for their 9th birthday.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWierdGuy View Post
Ugh...

Judging by the posts I get the feeling that people don't know what a placebo is, so lets push the concept aside at least for one sentence.

You should allocate your hard earned free time into therapies that are proven to be better, like CBT and medication. (EFT is no better than a placebo, CBT and medication are better than placebos, therefore CBT and medication work better than EFT)

Logic 101. People with severe disorders have a weak placebo effect. EFT is no more effective than a placebo. Therefore, EFT have little effect on anxiety disorders on the severe end of the spectrum.

I mean, this isn't rocket science. If something is proven to be no better than taking a sugar pill, why not just take a sugar pill? You'll save time any money. (assuming the therapy isn't free) Unless you have the money to try every therapy, why not take the most effective therapy? You'll save money.
Thank you. I brought this up awhile ago and was shunned from the thread. It's sad that people believe this works when they could be making actual progress with other types of treatment instead of wasting their time.

I'd like to know how this type of "therapy" holds up long term or against even the slightest setback.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 AM
CWe
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Tired
Im going to give this a try

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
conceited martyrdom

the people arguing against EFT are missing a vital point. perhaps it IS the placebo effect, but then again a significant portion of physical illness has emotional roots as its cause. in these cases, then yes these types of treatments are PERFECT for that illness, and this is more often the case than you think. the "placebo effect" is not AGAINST science; there is just a lot of room for science to catch up to it. EMOTIONS are physical as well, just a lot harder to figure out.
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM
SAS Member

Hi i tried this method with a practitioner some years ago with no effect. I wouldn't rule out trying it again but i would like to see the science around it. Has it been clinically tested? i spent lots of money i didn't have. I'd need to know that ethics have been applied.
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40watta View Post
Has anyone tried this for anxiety? It seems to work for so many people. I read up on it last night and I am going to give it a committed try. First I will clear my negative beliefs and then use positive affirmations to replace them.
i think thats a good point
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 PM
SAS Member

Sebastiaan appears to have been banned and his posts deleted which kind of makes me wary. Did he get banned for advertising his site?
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
SAS Member

I know how my TV works...I also know how my cellphone works. But I have to say when I read things like Matrix Re-imprinting (I mean WTF is that). I know how to add matrices, solve them and I know what imprinting is...I just dont see how both words combine. To me this is a sign of major BS, another hint is when quantum physics is brought up, by ppl who have no clue about quantum physics and last but not least DEEPAK CHOPRA.

so here is an equation,

Matrix Re-imprinting + Quantum Physics + Deepak Chopra = SCAM

Having said all this, Im not even sure what EFT is but it could work on a psychological level for other reasons and the best way is to buy a book and learn about it and if you are interested give it a try....simple.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Optimism Prime~

I know there are alot of naysayers (for obvious aesthetic reasons) but the bottom line is this: you can download yourself an ebook detailing this technique for Absolutely FREE.

So why not give this a go?

slow progress is still progress.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM
SAS Member

I'm trying the EFT system by Sebastiaan van der Schrier. I spend 60 or 70 bucks on shirts, video games regularly, games that may only last me 2 weeks. So for something that has the potential to improve my life drastically, it's easily worth it. Already doing some major things in 3 or 4 days of use. Reaching epiphanies every day like I don't have to be angry at myself or my parents for having social anxiety.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM
SAS Member

I am not a naysayer, I think its great if this works, and even hypnosis (something science cant grasp 100%) is known to work. I have tried hypnosis and it did kinda work.....

BUT! My problem is when ppl start with this quantum physics nonsense and how science proves this theory. I looked up the books you suggested and I am sorry but the two authors you referred to have nothing scientific about them. I already knew of Gregg Braden and I am certain this guy couldnt pass Physics I. He also believes in Mayan prophecy 2012 and he says a lot of nonsense on youtube that show that he has no clue about physics much less quantum physics.

and I agree with Saillias, its better to spend 60-70 bucks trying something that COULD change your life forever than on video games.

I am not trying to disprove EFT. I am just trying to make people aware that quantum physics does not prove any of this, if this works or not has NOTHING to do with quantum physics. And that these fancy terms like Matrix Re-imprinting are nothing but fancy terms to make it seem more than it really is.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:58 AM
SAS Member

fabulous

feel free to message me if you'd like me to share what helpful things I've learned with you
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
SAS Member

I know a different technic called AMQ.
In this technic, you close the right eye, and jump on left foot. Later, close the left eye and jump on right foot.
When you jump, you think things what you want to get rid...

AMQ is based on communication and balance between left-brain and right-brain.

Note: this is just an ironi releated EFT and other farces.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek a mouse View Post
I am not a naysayer, I think its great if this works, and even hypnosis (something science cant grasp 100%) is known to work. I have tried hypnosis and it did kinda work.....

BUT! My problem is when ppl start with this quantum physics nonsense and how science proves this theory. I looked up the books you suggested and I am sorry but the two authors you referred to have nothing scientific about them. I already knew of Gregg Braden and I am certain this guy couldnt pass Physics I. He also believes in Mayan prophecy 2012 and he says a lot of nonsense on youtube that show that he has no clue about physics much less quantum physics.

and I agree with Saillias, its better to spend 60-70 bucks trying something that COULD change your life forever than on video games.

I am not trying to disprove EFT. I am just trying to make people aware that quantum physics does not prove any of this, if this works or not has NOTHING to do with quantum physics. And that these fancy terms like Matrix Re-imprinting are nothing but fancy terms to make it seem more than it really is.
Well said. I've actually tried this myself and I was actually a BELIVER that it would work. I was completely hooked and it didn't.

It's up to you guys to choose your cup of tea... but I advise against EFT.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page