EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

EFT - Emotional Freedom Technique

Has anyone tried this for anxiety? It seems to work for so many people. I read up on it last night and I am going to give it a committed try. First I will clear my negative beliefs and then use positive affirmations to replace them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiaan View Post
Yes, I did.

And with amazing success. I use this as my main tool in coaching people to overcome their social phobia.

I have cured my own remnants of social anxiety with it and have successfully helped people to overcome their social anxiety.

It does come with some "if's" and "but's"...

You can read about it here:

EFT Therapy To Clear My Social Phobia?
http://www.social-anxiety-solutions....t-therapy.html

But EFT is the real deal and I can't recommend it highly enough. And for people being curious, "NO, it's not a placebo and you don't have to believe in it for it to work".

It's awesome, go and experience it for yourself!
Hey Sebastiaan,

I've seen your site and already checked out your videos. Thanks! This was what initially got me interested in eft. I also just read gary craig's eft manual and saw some of his videos. Your tapping method seems like the shortcut method, but for now im gonna use the entire setup,sequence,gamut,sequence technique. However, im still confused on a couple things.

If I have a fear of talking to people due to rejection, do I say when tapping "even though I fear talking to people, I deeply accept myself" or do I say "even though im scared of rejection, I deeply accept myself". So in other words, do I state what im scared of or the feeling/reason for that fear?

Also, have you done affirmations tapping? For example, "I choose to be calm and confident around people". Do I say this over and over while tapping through the whole process (setup,sequence,gamut,sequence)?

What I don't get is how does my body know which beliefs to get rid of and which ones to keep if im doing the same tapping routine for both negative and positive beliefs?
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)

I did aswell I'm actually one of Sebastiaans "patients" and I used it successfully to cure my anxiety completely with his help... Even my approach anxiety is gone.. Combined with affirmations and changing my beleifs.. Good job who ever started this thread your on your way to freedom =) really good techniques your using.. EFT deals with the negative emotional and feelings part of anxiety and affirmations deal with the negative thought patterns and beleifs.. Gain control of those with the techniques and alot persistence and poof your anxiety is a thing of the past..

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.”
Mahatma Gandhi

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:56 AM
3rd SAS Battalion

Yes I've used it on smaller things and it worked, I've yet to try it on larger anxiety.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM
3rd SAS Battalion

Can I also add some points that I would make some good advice as I have been using studying EFT for some time now.

Sebastians videos are great, funnily enough I came across him on YouTube before I found him on here. The full basic recipe is an older method, but I really don't see the harm in learning it. The gamut and eye movements can be really good at clearing memories and images.

You should always start your EFT by tackling your psychological reversal, most people these days on videos use the karate chop point for this, but I also use the sore spot on the left of my chest.

Don't forget the point that is under your nipple, that is quite good for clearance, it's not shown in videos as it's not practical for women to do for obvious reasons. If you're a man though, that is a good spot.

Often when you're working on a belief or memory, you will clear that belief but something else will come up. EFT is a voyage of discovery, and basically new aspects or real causes will emerge.

Try and target the EFT on the root as much as possible. You can do this by analysing the problem and looking for the potential triggers. For example, you could work on the belief "This anxiety when I'm walking down the street", but ask yourself, would the anxiety be there if there were no cars passing?

So is the problem cars? Ask yourself, if the carshad no driver in them, would you still be anxious, okay so your real fear is the judgement of the people driving the cars. Try and find the root of the problem and tackle this, if you do then it's like pulling a card out of a house of cards, all the other stuff that was resting on that fear will collapse. This is called the generalisation effect and it also works in CBT.

Drink plenty of water before doing EFT, as dehydration can stop it working. It is also hindered by caffeine, excessive white sugar, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs - prescription medication may affect it but DO NOT stop taking your medication, just do the EFT anyway it will most likely still work.

Sign up for Gary craig's EFT mailing list at www.emofree.com , it's a daily e-mail with articles, success stories, and inspirational quotes. Also try looking up Brad Yates ( http://www.youtube.com/user/eftwizard ) and Richard Smith ( http://www.youtube.com/user/HealingMagic )

Richard Smith has loads of good videos so does Yates. And of course check out Sebastian's site at: http://www.social-anxiety-solutions....t-therapy.html

I know EFT in its raw form is the real deal because Gary Craig never charged anyone to learn it, and he allows people to copy 100 times any DVD they buy. Also there is plenty of evidence of it working as you will have seen.

For some people it's ludicrous and they will laugh, EFT does look weird and it is not Western medicine. Don't be put off by this, do what you need to do to get over this, I recommend EFT, there are also good books on it on Amazon.

But basically just type EFT into YouTube and watch everything.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:02 AM
SAS Member

I haven't tried this out yet but my mom told me about it awhile back, it looks like it be something that may work for me. I'm definetly going to look at all the information and videos of it

"Life is waiting for you, it's all messed up but we'll survive." - Life by Our Lady Peace
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks Sebastiaan and Britisharrow

One last question, is this something you need to do everyday to prevent the beliefs from coming back?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 AM
SAS Member

Hello, is everybody here doing EFT on themselves or are you seeing a EFT practitioner to do it with you? I tried it on myself a while back and didn't seem to receive any benefit from it, maybe because i did it too briefly and not correctly, i don't know.
So for example i have nervousness and panic attacks when i have to be the center of attention and speak in group enviornments such meetings or social functions, wouldn't i have to have the EFT done in that type of setting to know if it really cured my anxiety?
If anyone else can share their experiences with EFT; what they used it for,
if it worked, and if they applied it to themselves or saw somebody trained in it, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shawn
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Just me being me

Free online summit on eft

If you've wanted to know more about EFT nd how it's done there's a free online event that will run for 10 consecutive days starting Sunday February 21st at 8 PM Eastern time (U.S.). I'm sure you can jump in late if you don't catch it the first day (today)

Excerpt from site advertisement:
EFT works across the board. This simple meridian tapping
technique can be done one on one, or in a group setting
or YOU can do it - with just yourself.

You will learn everything you need to know about EFT
including self-tapping techniques AND experience group EFT
sessions that can change you in the moment through The
Tapping Summit.

Link=> www.TappingWorldSummit.com.
This is an online virtual audio event. You won't have to make any
phone calls, or download any software to experience the Tapping World
Summit, just connect to the link we have provided for you at the
designated time and days.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Almighty

Testing of the EFT hypothesis through the use of a placebo group produced the same positive changes in recipients as following the EFT's standard methodology. A 2007 article in the Guardian suggested that the act of tapping parts of the body in a complicated sequence acts as a distraction, and therefore can appear to alleviate the root distress.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpia View Post
Testing of the EFT hypothesis through the use of a placebo group produced the same positive changes in recipients as following the EFT's standard methodology. A 2007 article in the Guardian suggested that the act of tapping parts of the body in a complicated sequence acts as a distraction, and therefore can appear to alleviate the root distress.
heh, maybe scientists should be more concerned with the mechanisms of placebo rather than of ssris, which IMO, is a placebo with side effects.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 AM
SAS Member

Ok, this is mine today's task.

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Just me being me

EFT Video

This is strictly for information purposes. It's up to each individual to decide if they are interested in pursuing EFT as a therapy. I personally have used it and experienced lessening of symptoms for anxiety and depression. This video will not teach you all there is to know about it. It's just a demo of how it's generally done.

You can find more examples of tapping for different issues at http://www.emofree.com/freevideos.aspx
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 PM
My So-Called Self

It certainly seems better than CBT, that's for sure.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” _Dr. Seuss
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
SAS Member

I put my trust in cognitive therapy. My anxiety derived from painful memories and experiences. I felt isolated and confused. CBT took me from a point of intense anger at the people who made me feel this way(to the point where I actually found out their personal details in an effort to confront them lol) to a feeling of indifference and far less negativity. It gave me the oppertunity to breathe calmly and feel more at ease with myself and the world. I thought the way I felt was incurable but every time I see my therapist a significant amount of weight is lifted off my shoulders. A couple more sessions and I'm out of the woods I feel.

I'm not saying it's deffinitely the way through for you but I shudder to think where I'd be now without the calming influence it had one me. Cognitive therapy cures people of their past greif and teach them skills to deal with the present not to mention advice and support. For those of you with deeply rooted anxiety it could be a mistake ruling out CBT completely.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbloggs02 View Post
I put my trust in cognitive therapy. My anxiety derived from painful memories and experiences. I felt isolated and confused. CBT took me from a point of intense anger at the people who made me feel this way(to the point where I actually found out their personal details in an effort to confront them lol)\.
Huh? Did you confront someone? I did and I spent 2 years locked up in a psych hospital.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 PM
SAS Member

Concerning the video, oh dear. this looks like a con. Is this guy making money from this?
It's the placebo effect. If you believe in it, it'll make you feel better, Like homeopathy and prayer.

Last edited by zoe the cat; 02-26-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: forgot to quote video
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Just me being me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe the cat View Post
It's the placebo effect. If you believe in it, it'll make you feel better, Like homeopathy and prayer.
Not that I agree with you but let's say that IS true. Does it really matter why or how something works? What's important in what you said is the "make you feel better" part. IMHO
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jook View Post
Not that I agree with you but let's say that IS true. Does it really matter why or how something works? What's important in what you said is the "make you feel better" part. IMHO
Yes it does matter! Why?

- Because sugar pills are far cheaper
- Because you can allocate your hard earned time into things proven better than placebo, like CBT or pills.
- People with comorbid disorders such as severe depression will have a very weak placebo effect.
- Because the placebo in SAD has a small effect and won't cure it in most
- Because you are making someone else rich who is making money on your pain. At least I'd rather give it to someone that has done their research.

Quote:
IMO, is a placebo with side effects
Do people actually research before posting opinions? The problem with opinions like these is that they drive people who need the treatment towards alternative options, which are built on shaky grounds at best, quakery at worst. SSRIs work better than a placebo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Just me being me

Again, I'll quote you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe the cat View Post
And again, I'll say, if "it'll make you feel better" who cares who it makes rich or why it works as long as nobody is harmed. Negativism hinders people who preach it and people who listen to it. There's no reason to discourage someone else from trying something because YOU don't believe it works. And besides, what doesn't work for you might work for someone else perhaps only because they had the audacity to believe in it.

There are many, MANY people who have attested to lasting benefits from EFT. People who have suffered with disorders as dastardly as PTSD, Depression, Panic Attacks and different forms of anxiety. I don't care if you call it placebo or gazebo effect. If it helps bring it on!

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy,the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page