Did your psychologist give you play therapy? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Did your psychologist give you play therapy?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Did your psychologist give you play therapy?

I was 22 years old when my psychologist used play therapy to reach me. I wonder if my psychologist used play therapy to reach me through my childhood consciousness since I wasn't interested in being reached at my age. It's pretty interesting, I wonder if that's how it works. I used to find playing sinful at 22 but for some reason I was able to use it and I gave in and my psychologist was able to communicate with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 06:19 PM
Wonderland

Yes. When I was 18 years old; I would sit in therapy sessions; for hours... not saying anything (due to how bad my anxiety was). Doing puzzles with her and other sensory calming things helped me relax and open up. Why did you think it was sinful?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered Pieces View Post
Yes. When I was 18 years old; I would sit in therapy sessions; for hours... not saying anything (due to how bad my anxiety was). Doing puzzles with her and other sensory calming things helped me relax and open up. Why did you think it was sinful?
Sweet! Well the sinful part was because of my dad, he once tore up my painting in 4th grade. I told him it was homework but he doesn't believe in drawing/painting/art homework. I confronted him a few months ago about this and since then I was able to start painting and not feel sinful.

It's just horrible how traumatizing something that happened in our childhood can be for us. Like that stuff with the playing or doing art and my dad looking down on it, only because he's more into math and Einstein stuff. Perhaps he has Aspergers.

It's okay, I'm trying hard every day to overcome my sinfulness in playing and art, play therapy can be used even in friendship and dating, and in your every day life. A majority of time is spent in play when you have children, or when you're a child and parents join in.

In play therapy I remember doing mostly sand tray, rocks with words on them, headphones and a buzzing sound, and belly breathing. It was so nice, I really felt anxiety or avoidance lessen and I was able to move, otherwise I was just frozen/catatonic. It hurt me this catatonia, for hours, it felt like torture especially before play therapy.

Every therapist or psychologist should offer play therapy to all ages, it's so worth it and not sinful at all, we come into this world full of childlike wonder and we should continue using it in all parts of our lives. I heard somewhere in a video that we can live a great life as long as we incorporate play therapy into everything we do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page