My Mood: Confused
Tried a few times but never really got into it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGSAREnotGOOD View Post
What's thdrmomentllyditation, particthoug as far as SAS is concerned? So you try to let your thoughts float away and not focus on them. Essentially, keeping your mind clear. Wouldn't it be more constructive to actually think about your life? Or what's the point of keeping your mind clear for 20 minutes and not keep it clear all day?
It simply wouldn't be possible to clear your mind all day and I doubt it would be desirable. If you're anything like me you probably already spend a good proportion of the day thinking about your life and trying to problem solve. For me it takes me out of my head and gives me greater awareness of my thoughts feelings and bodily sensations. When practiced daily it reduced my anxiety dramatically . I got out of the habit after my latest bout of mental hilarity, I can only manage about ten minutes at the moment.
post #103 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:21 AM
sassy member

Going to meditate today! Nothing fancy, just taking some time in the day to relax my brains. I like to sit there and just breathe and feel the breath in my belly. And then some light stretches after. It's super relaxing! Even if you don't meditate, I think it's important to take time each day to calm the mental restlessness so that it doesn't build up

Also on days I meditate (before bed or whenever), I have better dreams. I had an issue with nightmares for a long time, but I think meditation somehow helps my subconscious wellbeing and gives me more control over it while I sleep. It's also a good start if you're into lucid dreaming

post #104 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzi View Post
I meditated for 10 minutes with this YouTube meditation video: Mindfulness Meditation - Guided 10 Minutes. During the meditation, I remembered something that I said to my therapist that I wished I hadn't, and suddenly the thought "I'm not good enough" whizzed through my head. Hopefully in the future I won't have this kind of negative thought whenever my mind drifts to my past actions or "mistakes."
During meditation, it's common for our minds to "drift" or daydream, it's not a big deal. People have all kinds of unusual mental and physical phenomena occurring during the meditation practice. Don't stress when this happens, just be aware of it and nudge your focus back to the meditation. I have to do this repeatedly when I meditate as I am prone to daydreaming.
post #105 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Maladapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by social worker View Post
During meditation, it's common for our minds to "drift" or daydream, it's not a big deal. People have all kinds of unusual mental and physical phenomena occurring during the meditation practice. Don't stress when this happens, just be aware of it and nudge your focus back to the meditation. I have to do this repeatedly when I meditate as I am prone to daydreaming.
Actually my "daydreaming" or thoughts were legal objects of focus in my meditation; I was trying to be mindful of everything, including any random thoughts I was having. So I was trying to say what I had learned from my meditation session, namely that I often have depressing thoughts when I reflect on my past behavior.
post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Sass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGSAREnotGOOD View Post
What's the point of meditation, particularly as far as SAS is concerned? So you try to let your thoughts float away and not focus on them. Essentially, keeping your mind clear. Wouldn't it be more constructive to actually think about your life? Or what's the point of keeping your mind clear for 20 minutes and not keep it clear all day?
I would say meditation is actually more about focusing the mind than clearing it. Many times anxiety in general comes from the mind trying to keep track of too many things at once, and taking 15-30 minutes just focusing on one thing - breathing, sounds, or a peaceful thought or mantra; whatever you may choose to meditate on – can really ground you and leave you with the feeling of clarity that people often refer to.

There are different methods to meditation, of course, and not all of them are of the sitting-still-for-20-minutes variety. Small handy crafts that keep you focused on the task, like knitting or origami, can do the same thing, and that actually helps some people who don't feel they can keep still for very long. Also you get the satisfaction of seeing the products of your work.

I recently started meditating more regularly, and while it's not a cure for anxiety, I find the feeling of focus that comes with it generally improves my mood, and that is very helpful. It doesn't last the entire day, but it helps me get through the next part of my day, and that's always a positive.

In the past I had attempted to meditate and easily got frustrated with it and gave up, but I think it was because I was trying to push the other thoughts out of my head, rather than focusing on one thing and letting those other thoughts pass through on their own.

“There's no "should" or "should not" when it comes to having feelings. They're part of who we are and their origins are beyond our control. When we can believe that, we may find it easier to make constructive choices about what to do with those feelings.”
― Mr. Rogers
post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 03:49 PM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzi View Post
Actually my "daydreaming" or thoughts were legal objects of focus in my meditation; I was trying to be mindful of everything, including any random thoughts I was having. So I was trying to say what I had learned from my meditation session, namely that I often have depressing thoughts when I reflect on my past behavior.

Got it. I practice Buddhist meditation, focusing solely on my breathing. My brain doesn't like this and wants to think about all kinds of other things. In the beginning, I found guided meditations helpful. These can be found on many websites, including You Tube. I believe that with repetition, like most things, the mind can become more focused. As others have mentioned, regular meditation seems to help decrease overall anxiety.
post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 AM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
Think I got kind of deep last night. I got so I couldn't feel my body much and about 45 minutes passed by without it seeming that long.
post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Sith Lord

My psych recently tried 2 forms of "meditation". The first is Progressive Muscle Relaxation, you can do it by yourself, or there are audio coaches and apps to talk you through a session. i did it for 10-15 min and felt great after. The other is Mindfulness Meditation/Therapy/Training , different people call if difference things, but their all basically the same. I found that one to be very calming aswell, its perfect before bed, and she told me theres even an app on iphone called Mindfulness Coach, where you can set it up from anywhere to 5-30 minutes, and have it "snap out of it" so-to-speak, or let you fall alseep during. i have a Note 4, so i havent tried it, but she says its what she uses.

hope this helps you guys.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 03:01 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yes....mindfulness meditation, for about 10mins. Didn't help much.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Self Inflicted Perma Ban

Language: Fluent English and Dutch, some Anglo-Saxon and German. Currently studying Bokmal Norwegian.
No, will have to do that after I finished this meal. 25 minutes minimum (1 minute for every year of your age), and from there on I try to sit as long as my concentration holds. Record so far is 39 minutes. I have been at it since early March this year.

Ear byth egle eorla gehwylcun
Dhonne faestlice flaesc onginneth

Hraw colian hrusan ceosan
blac to gebeddan bleda gedreosath
Wynna gewitath wera geswicath
post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:43 PM
armchair philosopher

Subscribing. Never got into proper mindfulness even though I have researched it quite a number of times. I just simply cannot sit still and let my mind focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIIYt5lcq3A

Tomorrow we shall never surrender.

Taking each strides to grow as an individual and discoveries emerges within the confinements of creation and creativity.
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Training a unicorn

My Mood: Goofy
yeah, this morning. I'm about to try and meditate before bed as well

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”- Frank Herbert
post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 AM
SAS Member

What exactly is vipassana meditation?

I learned that is involved with three marks of existence, but how to do it exactly in pratctice?

Thanks =)
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

My first time with meditation I felt something strange, like I was out of my body, seeing myself. I did it in a group of 3 people, and I stop feeling their presences in the room, it was strange but really interesting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page