Did you meditate today? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
Tried determined that I wasn't going to stop until I achieved a deep state(unaware of my surroundings, etc). Ended up falling asleep
That's where posture is really important. Since you have back problems, do you think you could use a chair that isn't comfortable but doesn't hurt your back? It's important to remain upright to help keep you alert. If I tried to meditate while laying on my bed or in a recliner, I'd probably fall asleep, too.

If that's not an option, and this is harder than it sounds, but try to remain mindful of feeling sleepy. Being mindful of feeling sleepy helps restablish bare attention which may help you stay awake.

"The Patriarchy is a system. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbloggs02 View Post
Mindfullness- 40 minutes. I do this every day. I find the effects are cumulative. The main reason I meditate is because it quiets my thoughts. It establishes what I would describe as a layer of stillness that only really strong emotions unsettle. Unless depressed or riven I can breath more peacefully. I can also concentrate for longer periods on tasks that only partially distract me. Lately, however, when I listen to my thoughts, the same ones keep intruding. I would not express them here though.
How long have you been meditating for?

I did for around five minutes, I'm just starting out, I felt kinda dizzy during and after actually. And i had a hard time quieting my thoughts

"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon." - Woody Allen
Maybe the problem is that you broke my heart into a million pieces and so my cock doesn't want to be around you anymore!

last.fm
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
That's where posture is really important. Since you have back problems, do you think you could use a chair that isn't comfortable but doesn't hurt your back? It's important to remain upright to help keep you alert. If I tried to meditate while laying on my bed or in a recliner, I'd probably fall asleep, too.

If that's not an option, and this is harder than it sounds, but try to remain mindful of feeling sleepy. Being mindful of feeling sleepy helps restablish bare attention which may help you stay awake.
I can't normally fall asleep in a recliner, but I can see if there is any other chair that will work if that fails. Might also look into postures that are recommended and I can just stop if it bothers me. Thanks for the advice.

post #24 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 AM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
I also have back issues that make a good posture difficult to maintain. I've been told that eventually sitting up straight becomes more comfortable, but will have to experiment with that. So I meditate leaning back. If I meditate late at night, I will doze off (actually I'm okay with this since I have insomnia). I don't have that issue if I meditate during the daytime.

www.wildmind.org/has good advice on posture, etc., for meditation newbies.
post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-40 min

"The Patriarchy is a system. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."
post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-45 min

post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-45 min

post #28 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 AM
Permanently Banned

I tried many times to meditate but I can't seem to do it properly
post #29 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Cabin View Post
I tried many times to meditate but I can't seem to do it properly
Have you tried guided meditation? Might be a good starting point if you have trouble staying focused.
post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-45 min

EDIT: second session today:

-vipassana
-45 min

post #31 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-50 min

EDIT: second session:

-vipassana
-40 min

post #32 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:40 PM
SAS Member

Hullo.
I'm new here, but have involved myself with a morning meditation (1/2 to 1 hr) for over a year.
It sort of involves CBT, along with some of the AA higher power initiative.
As for a HP I like to relate to a projected U.F.O.W. universal force of wisdom.
Combining self talk, I look at past difficulties, where they took me, along with new initiatives. I also utilize acronyms.
Has been working pretty well.
post #33 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 PM
SAS Member

I have too many negative thoughts when I try to meditate, they just come at me swooping through my mind. I know I am supposed to just acknowledge them and move on to the next thought but it puts me in a state of panic sort of, i start to have trouble breathing and i just can't continue. I gues I just need more practice.
post #34 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

I didn't know you could use a chair. I am very noobish when it comes to how to properly meditate. I just try to clear my mind, sometimes i try to repeat a mantra but I've never gotten too deep into a state of deeper consciousness, except 2 or 3 times when I had less stress in my life and was able to relax and focus more.
post #35 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by social worker View Post
I also have back issues that make a good posture difficult to maintain. I've been told that eventually sitting up straight becomes more comfortable, but will have to experiment with that. So I meditate leaning back. If I meditate late at night, I will doze off (actually I'm okay with this since I have insomnia). I don't have that issue if I meditate during the daytime.

www.wildmind.org/has good advice on posture, etc., for meditation newbies.
Do you get much exercise, like walking or running? Walking will definitely help increase your back strength and make it easier to sit up straight and have good posture for meditation, and in life in general. Walking at least 2 miles per day will make a big difference after a week or two.
post #36 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embryo923 View Post
I didn't know you could use a chair. I am very noobish when it comes to how to properly meditate. I just try to clear my mind, sometimes i try to repeat a mantra but I've never gotten too deep into a state of deeper consciousness, except 2 or 3 times when I had less stress in my life and was able to relax and focus more.

Well . . . If you do use a chair, it's ideal to not have your back resting against the back. It's ideal to keep your back erect and not touching the back. It's also ideal to keep yourself seated near the front of the chair so that your back is not close to touching the back.

Basically, whether you're sitting with the lotus position, Indian style, seated on a chair, etc., you need to make sure you can keep your spine erect and you need to make sure you're positioned in such a way that you'll remain stable (this is why the lotus position is viewed as the most ideal) throughout the meditation session.

The reason I brought up using a chair that's not comfortable with slyfox, and perhaps the possibility of resting his back against the back part, is because he has back problems and because he was falling asleep. It's not ideal to do this, but it's better than nothing.

post #37 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

Quote:
I have too many negative thoughts when I try to meditate, they just come at me swooping through my mind. I know I am supposed to just acknowledge them and move on to the next thought but it puts me in a state of panic sort of, i start to have trouble breathing and i just can't continue. I gues I just need more practice.
Meditation can definitely dig up some unpleasant and pleasant thoughts. They're great material to work with once you have your concentration on your breath built up because it will condition you to not grasp, fixate, or focus on those thoughts unless you want to. With practice, you'll have more control over how readily your mind will grasp at these thoughts as they pop up.

post #38 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-45 min

I really struggled with impatience during this session, especially towards the end.

EDIT: second session:

-vipassana
-40 min

Amazing session.

post #39 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-40 min

EDIT: 2nd session:

-vipassana
-45 min

post #40 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Do you get much exercise, like walking or running? Walking will definitely help increase your back strength and make it easier to sit up straight and have good posture for meditation, and in life in general. Walking at least 2 miles per day will make a big difference after a week or two.
Thanks, yes, I work out almost daily, including hundreds of crunches. I'm going to practice meditating for short periods of sitting up straight, then try to increase it little by little. That might get me used to a "correct posture". Like Esteban said, anything is better than nothing and meditation, like anything, can be improved over time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page