Did you meditate today? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

Did you meditate today?

If you did, what kind of meditation was it, for how long did you do it, and what was your overall experience? Was it in a group or individual setting?

"The Patriarchy is a system. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
No, but I would like to more often. Have mostly tried the kind where you quiet your mind and tried a few guided ones. I've always wanted to be able to achieve a lucid dream like experience while meditating. I probably should be doing it just for the relaxation as well because of my hypertension.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-30 min
-individual

It was peaceful. That monkey mind was all over the place.

"The Patriarchy is a system. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-35 min

post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Under da Sea

Not yet for today.

Had a good session a couple days ago for a few minutes. I have to get back into the rhythm of things. Feels too good not to do more often.

Edit/ Thanks for this post by the way. I used to do Raja Yoga meditation in a group for free and I remember now what I learned and why I left or rather disappeared from meetings. Thanks again for the post as it reminds me of my former and current circumstances which I forgot about. Huh, life is great but also has a propensity for ****ty-ness.

Monkey mind is the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Smiling at someone is considered rude, now...?
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Permanently Banned

I could do that before bed today
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Protector of the Den

Tried a little before sleeping today, but didn't try for long
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:44 AM
Dragonic Archon

Nope.

"Meditation" is something I never really understood. Well in most respects of the word, each culture has a different meaning. For example, Buddhism it's "no mind" which I have no ****ing clue what that even means. I understand the concept, but I don't find it very useful. I want to figure things out, not empty my mind. And if I do, that's what alcohol is for, numbs it for a short while lol. I think Christian version of meditation may be like "focusing on God" or reflecting on the Bible or something.

When I used to practice Kendo, we used to always have to do a type of meditation called 'Mokuso' in the 'Seiza' posture before practice where we sat still, with our hands in a certain position, straight back, all stiff and stuff. Totally uncomfortable, why would anyone want to do that, beats me. I think it's to "clear the mind" for combat and separate the outside world or thoughts, from training. Never liked it, although it probably helps some people who have undisciplined minds, calm down, focus their thoughts or something.

To me, "meditation" is mulling over thoughts quietly while listening to music, hopefully to penetrate the core of a problem or figure something out mentally. Or laying down with incense on, I guess "taking a nap" but falling asleep while thinking through thoughts I have. Then waking up with some sort of insight into whatever I was thinking about prior. Sometimes it doesn't herald results though, but I may gain another perspective into a different problem.

Love or hate me as you will, but live now and in your final breath. In time we shall meet again.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 06:02 AM
SAS Member

Mindfullness- 40 minutes. I do this every day. I find the effects are cumulative. The main reason I meditate is because it quiets my thoughts. It establishes what I would describe as a layer of stillness that only really strong emotions unsettle. Unless depressed or riven I can breathe more peacefully if it commit to doing it. I can also concentrate for longer periods on tasks that only partially distract me otherwise. Lately, however, when I listen to my thoughts, the same ones keep intruding. I would not express them here though.

"I am looking for a true human being" - Diogenes of Sinope

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other." - Dostoevsky
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-40 min

post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-40 min

I had some trouble with my posture today. I had trouble with pinched nerves in my legs. It became a bit painful, which I initially used as an object of meditation, but I eventually changed positions because it kept distracting me from the breath.

post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Dragonic Archon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbloggs02 View Post
Mindfullness- 40 minutes. I do this every day. I find the effects are cumulative. The main reason I meditate is because it quiets my thoughts. It establishes what I would describe as a layer of stillness that only really strong emotions unsettle. And unless depressed or riven I can breath more peacefully. I can also concentrate for longer periods on tasks that only partially distract me. Lately, however, when I listen to my thoughts, the same ones keep intruding. I would not express them here though.
That's interesting sir. If I may ask (not the thoughts themselves since they're personal), but how do you prevent intruding thoughts?

That is something I have had my whole life, I just learned to "work with it" I presume? I don't really know how to explain it, anytime my mind is idle or I'm bored, that's what happens lol. Like a movie, constantly in my head. I honestly don't know how I would deal without it though, lol it's is troublesome sometimes when I'm trying to do something. However, it is "me" to me and guides my actions somewhat through visual problem solving.

Love or hate me as you will, but live now and in your final breath. In time we shall meet again.
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyriel View Post
That's interesting sir. If I may ask (not the thoughts themselves since they're personal), but how do you prevent intruding thoughts?

That is something I have had my whole life, I just learned to "work with it" I presume? I don't really know how to explain it, anytime my mind is idle or I'm bored, that's what happens lol. Like a movie, constantly in my head. I honestly don't know how I would deal without it though, lol it's is troublesome sometimes when I'm trying to do something. However, it is "me" to me and guides my actions somewhat through visual problem solving.
CBT and meditation both help with that. Meditation can help prevent intrusive thoughts from becoming stronger. By just being mindful of thoughts, they lose a lot of power.

CBT also helps by replacing automatic negative thoughts with more rational ones.

Exercise (work off the anxiety that feeds those types of thoughts) and medication can help as well.

If you need more information on mindfulness and how to get it working for you, check out the following book. This book is the best book on meditation I've read and it also outdoes all the teachers I've had on this matter. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Pl.../dp/0861719069

post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Dragonic Archon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
CBT and meditation both help with that. Meditation can help prevent intrusive thoughts from becoming stronger. By just being mindful of thoughts, they lose a lot of power.

CBT also helps by replacing automatic negative thoughts with more rational ones.

Exercise (work off the anxiety that feeds those types of thoughts) and medication can help as well.

If you need more information on mindfulness and how to get it working for you, check out the following book. This book is the best book on meditation I've read and it also outdoes all the teachers I've had on this matter. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Pl.../dp/0861719069
I think you misinterpreted my message, I didn't want to "remove" anything, just wondering how others "deal" with it as it's a core aspect of who I am. It's not always negative thoughts, either some are positive yet intrusive, as it hinders the ability to concentrate on certain things.

I refuse to do any type of "behavior" therapy, why should I change if it's not due to my own choice or actions? I am not here to be trained like a dog to heel and sit on command ~_~ I also refuse to use medication again after the horrid problems I had with it before. I don't like being an apathetic zombie, no matter how "content" I was with my lot.

Exercise does help somewhat, which is why I used to do things like Kendo. Too rigid for my tastes though, but I still practice sometimes. To me it's more of venting aggression and frustration.

Anyway, thank you for your input though Mr. Jedi. I shall try to be more "mindful" of my actions and thoughts. It does make a lot of sense^^

post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-40 min

post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Protector of the Den

Tried for about 30 mins earlier. Having trouble getting into a really deep level of meditations. Some things I've read say you should use a correct meditation posture. I have back problems so I usually try in bed or in a reclining chair
post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

-vipassana
-40 min

At one point I thought a spider had landed on my head, which broke my concentration for a moment. lol Overall, it was a peaceful and productive sit.

post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 PM
SAS Member

Headspace
15 minutes
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Patriarchy Enemy #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyruby View Post
Headspace
15 minutes
Is that headspace program working out for you?

post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Protector of the Den

Tried determined that I wasn't going to stop until I achieved a deep state(unaware of my surroundings, etc). Ended up falling asleep

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page