CBT Shame Attacking Exercises - Terrifying!! - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 102 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 AM

Re: CBT Shame Attacking Exercises - Terrifying!!

parrotslikepirates.

those were hilarious ideas. thanks for the laugh. uh, i just noticed you posted this months ago. oh well. its still funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 12:05 AM

Um, I was wondering, are the shame attacking exercises an essential part of CBT? I've been thinking about going for CBT for a while but I'm terrified of it. Would going mean I have do these things?
post #63 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunachik
Um, I was wondering, are the shame attacking exercises an essential part of CBT? I've been thinking about going for CBT for a while but I'm terrified of it. Would going mean I have do these things?
You wouldn't have to do it, no. This is the "hardcore" stuff, and it's definitely not something I'd expect anyone to be doing right off the bat. In CBT, you're only required to take small steps that are mildly uncomfortable during the exposure part. In other words, you build up to the most difficult steps, but by the time you get there, they aren't as hard as they looked when you were far away from that point.

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.

post #64 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunachik
You wouldn't have to do it, no. This is the "hardcore" stuff, and it's definitely not something I'd expect anyone to be doing right off the bat. In CBT, you're only required to take small steps that are mildly uncomfortable during the exposure part. In other words, you build up to the most difficult steps, but by the time you get there, they aren't as hard as they looked when you were far away from that point.
Thanks, that a relief. I was really freaked out there for a while.
post #65 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, I mean, exposure is going to be uncomfortable still, but you don't have to race to the most challenging stuff right away.

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #66 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 AM

Hey guys,

First post here.

I found this thread as anxiety and shame attacking is something that I am really interesting in. I have wanted for a while to try Shame Attacking Exercises, but even as a therapist, I would find it hard.

Well-done to all you guys that have had a go and good luck to all the guys that are wanting to give it a go.

I have set myself a goal of taking my teddy bear for a walk on a leash by the end of the week.
post #67 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapist
Hey guys,

First post here.

I found this thread as anxiety and shame attacking is something that I am really interesting in. I have wanted for a while to try Shame Attacking Exercises, but even as a therapist, I would find it hard.

Well-done to all you guys that have had a go and good luck to all the guys that are wanting to give it a go.

I have set myself a goal of taking my teddy bear for a walk on a leash by the end of the week.
Let us know how it goes! I still get a rush at the thought of yawning loudly in a crowd, haha.

post #68 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:14 AM

I think that this will be beneficial for my clients as well as myself (you can always do with some extra confidence). I have the leash now, so I guess that it is just a matter of time. I figured that I may just try standing in the street first with it sat at my side, but then I thought na, I am just putting it off. I think I will choose Saturday as that is the most busy time in the town.

I was wanting to discuss this on the another forum for therapists at HypnotherapistFinder, but I got a skype message from a colleague saying that it is a waste of time. Well, I can understand his opinion, however I can not accept it as I really can see the benefit of these exercises.
post #69 of 102 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
SAS Member

There is another thread here regarding some of our shame-challenging exercises. They don't come close to the teddy bear on a leash, but they show a little of what we experimented with.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... +challenge

post #70 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 AM

I know this is an old thread, but on the chance someone reads it who is considering CBT this could well scare them away. The exercises talked about here should be toward the end of a course of CBT after one has learned the coping techniques that help them through such incidents. One learns the "cognitive" part of CBT first, that is the "knowing" part. Then one puts those techniques into action with the "behavorial" part of CBT. As has been said earlier one sets this up on a degree of difficulty scale and starts at the bottom. Different things bother different people so we would all have a different scale with different items. One starts at the bottom and works upward at their own pace. Some of the items suggested were physically aggressive towards other people. Being rude or threatning to others is not a safe or appropriate theraputic action. In my opinion it is not an appropriate action in any event. CBT is difficult in that it takes a lot of work and perserverence. It should never be a threat to another person. Any action also should never be forced on the person practicing CBT. They should understand why they are doing things and do those things that they have learned the coping skills to do and they are ready to do them.
post #71 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Spot on, tallman Couldnt have said it better myself

On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
post #72 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM
SAS Member

It's too cold for me to socialize and do CBT exercises. I'm in hibernation until Spring.

post #73 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrum
It's too cold for me to socialize and do CBT exercises. I'm in hibernation until Spring.
One way to overcome SA is to move to the North Pole. Hibernate for six months or more. It beats meds and CBT. You will need mindfulness there.
post #74 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
SAS Member

Haha... Well, I'm afraid my job is like forced exposure therapy. I'm about to meet up with two nasty attorneys (not from my firm) for about 45 minutes! SCARRRRRY!

I'm predicting that they will ask me to do things I can't do, make fun of me, etc.

post #75 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do the ketchup trick and pretend like nothing is wrong

On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
post #76 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
SAS Member

Out in public?

post #77 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

With the attorneys

post #78 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 AM
SAS Member

HAHAHA!! That would go over quite well.

post #79 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 AM

This sounds like...making everyone around you uncomfortable in order to be comfortable. Are you supposed to look at their reactions and learn how people without SA react to someone being a dick? Maybe making your own J,ack,A,ss video would cure some SA. GET EM!
post #80 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:51 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandgreeneyes
This sounds like...making everyone around you uncomfortable in order to be comfortable. Are you supposed to look at their reactions and learn how people without SA react to someone being a dick? Maybe making your own J,ack,A,ss video would cure some SA. GET EM!
It's about realizing that YOU have a right to choose how to act. Other people response shouldn't limit YOU.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page