Site Announcement - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum
Closed Thread

post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amocholes View Post
With the size of this board, you should have at least 20 Mods
20 seems a bit much, but I do agree that there definitely needs to be more and in different time zones. I think 10 would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
SAS Member

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
Quote:
Originally Posted by peril View Post
I hope JL's post don't get ignored this time.
Ignored? Nah.
Given the context it seems more likely to earn him a ban.
So.. yay...

I want to give Neo credit though. Not only has he (indirectly) made it known what his original account was, but he has also started posting in threads casually and shown personality. It really helps a lot.

Also, the currently active mods who were made admins aren't listed on the "Forum Leaders" page, so unless you know who they are, you can't contact them.
And being required to have an account in order to contact them about being wrongfully banned or wanting a requested ban reversed, while having it be against the rules to make a 2nd account so you can actually post anything.. That's just.. I can't think that's bee thought through.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amocholes View Post
With the size of this board, you should have at least 20 Mods operating under strict guidelines and all major time zones.
I'm curious - as someone who hasn't ever been a mod, is this just a volume issue? Do you guys go through every thread, or just wait for post reports? Would a possible solution to have "mod assistants" or "super-users" with limited mod abilities? Say editing posts and issuing warnings (not bans), and maybe locking threads (to be used against blatant violations more than "controversial" threads).

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyjew View Post
I only tend to hang out in a few places, so maybe I've missed something, I haven't noticed the terrible management that everyone seems to be agreeing on... I also haven't noticed a horrible lack of moderation either - or maybe that's just because I don't like, or expect, bans to be handed out left and right when any debate starts. I've also gotten warnings pretty consistently whenever I've stepped over the line from debating into insulting, for which I have to commend Amocholes for, because I think his approach is consistent, and not overly heavy handed (I know when I've said something I probably shouldn't have).

What I have noticed however has been repeated attacks on MM, because he happens to be more conservative than the majority, very liberal, posters found on here, who seem to conflate his difference in viewpoint with a lack of moderation (which I find utterly ridiculous).

Most of this. This site is run just fine. The people that don't like don't have to post as much. It's not their own personal play pin or anything. I'm not exactly sure what people want on here, but if it's a lot more moderation, in the form of thread locks and bans whenever a debate gets a little heated, NO. I've stopped posting on some of my favorite forums when the staff decided to unleash Mod-nazis onto places where debate went on, in the name of "calming things down," which effectively meant all the interesting discussion went out the window. PLEASE DO NOT RUIN THIS DAMN FORUM EVERYONE!

edit*
Also, as far as the administration goes, unless you actually donate money to keep it going, to echo another forum's administration, you don't have a foot to stand on... Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't had any experiences during my time here that would make me have such strong grievances...
Pretty much all this. This site is run just fine. For the people that don't like it, it's not like this is their own personal play pen or anything. What do they want?
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Punt Puppies View Post
Pretty much all this. This site is run just fine. For the people that don't like it, it's not like this is their own personal play pen or anything. What do they want?
The site was much better back in 2012. Back then there was much less hostility on the forums, none of the constant gender wars, less personal attacks, friendly moderators that were actually online and you could talk to, and a general sense of community and support. Things really went downhill after all of the old mods were replaced. Now it's just a mess.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
I don't think Drew is the administrator any more. The OP doesn't write at all like Drew used to. Also I remember a rumour a while ago that Drew was selling the site, so this might be a new administrator.

Anyway, if you are a new administrator, I think it would be a very good idea for you to consider some of the concerns raised on this thread. No one can fault you for things that happened before you took over. But there are legitimate concerns that people have, and showing more involvement with the operation of the site and addressing concerns would be a good way to build trust with the members here. Things like the fact that the mods aren't listed anywhere, or that they are on invisible mode so that we don't know how to get in touch with an active mod if we need them, and so on. Most of us just want this site to be a supportive and comfortable place; we're not trying to crucify you or anything like that. If you can show more involvement and some sincere steps to work on the members' concerns, they will be able to put to rest the sense of uncertainty that is plaguing them. Such actions would have a huge positive impact on so many of us who use this site as a tool to improve our lives. So please consider what we have said, not as an attack, but as a way we can mutually help each other improve the site.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBlaze View Post
I'll just throw this out there.

I feel like moderators focus a little too much on users who repeatedly post in gender war threads and not enough on users who come in peoples' frustration threads and throw personal attacks at them. I noticed that if a hostile user guilty of numerous personal attacks has been here for a while, the moderation hesitates like hell to ban them unless they post in gender war threads regularly.

Individual users should get defended just as much as entire genders do on this site.
Actually, this is pretty legit. Some deserve it (I.e. the ones that spam the same threads with different wording etc) but the out right flamers should be nixed.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 PM
SAS's koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
I don't think Drew is the administrator any more. The OP doesn't write at all like Drew used to. Also I remember a rumour a while ago that Drew was selling the site, so this might be a new administrator.

Anyway, if you are a new administrator, I think it would be a very good idea for you to consider some of the concerns raised on this thread. No one can fault you for things that happened before you took over. But there are legitimate concerns that people have, and showing more involvement with the operation of the site and addressing concerns would be a good way to build trust with the members here. Things like the fact that the mods aren't listed anywhere, or that they are on invisible mode so that we don't know how to get in touch with an active mod if we need them, and so on. Most of us just want this site to be a supportive and comfortable place; we're not trying to crucify you or anything like that. If you can show more involvement and some sincere steps to work on the members' concerns, they will be able to put to rest the sense of uncertainty that is plaguing them. Such actions would have a huge positive impact on so many of us who use this site as a tool to improve our lives. So please consider what we have said, not as an attack, but as a way we can mutually help each other improve the site.
As far as I know Drew is still running the site. And an excellant post to boot! The main issue for alot of people (like me) is that we simply want the owner of the site to be on more, more communicative, and to be one with the community. We want to feel like we're actually being heard and addressed when we have complaints rather than feeling like we're talking to a blank wall. There is still ALOT of resentment over how the admin rammed through the new mod system and there is still obviously a lot of bad blood and issues to be solved. But at the end of the day I just want someone who runs the site to be one who actually loves and cares about the site he is running, something I am not sure of under the current admin.

We are sex bob-omb and we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!!
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie View Post
The site was much better back in 2012. Back then there was much less hostility on the forums, none of the constant gender wars, less personal attacks, friendly moderators that were actually online and you could talk to, and a general sense of community and support. Things really went downhill after all of the old mods were replaced. Now it's just a mess.
well i wouldn't know, i'm newish, but I like it so far.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM
SAS's koala

Quote:
well i wouldn't know, i'm newish, but I like it so far.
Longgggg story short is that the admin rammed through the new mod system (what we currently have) despite SEVERE protests from the (then) current mods. All the mods quit in protest, the whole board blew up but the admin still pushed through despite everyone on the board being against the new rules. Im pretty sure someone else can go in to more detail, but it caused ALOT of bad blood between the mods and the admin.

We are sex bob-omb and we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!!
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexfan View Post
Longgggg story short is that the admin rammed through the new mod system (what we currently have) despite SEVERE protests from the (then) current mods. All the mods quit in protest, the whole board blew up but the admin still pushed through despite everyone on the board being against the new rules. Im pretty sure someone else can go in to more detail, but it caused ALOT of bad blood between the mods and the admin.
wait, you mean this site has no mods now?
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
SAS's koala

Quote:
wait, you mean this site has no mods now?
Oh no this happened back in October I think? But yes after the mods quit...there where no mods for a bit

post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexfan View Post
Oh no this happened back in October I think? But yes after the mods quit...there where no mods for a bit
Wow, this site gets out of hand with only a few hours of no moderation, I couldn't possibly imagine weeks.
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

Thread closed. PM sent to SAS who can re-open it to address the points raised.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page