People At Work Call Themselves "Christians" - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

People At Work Call Themselves "Christians"

I'm a janitor who works for a Secular School. However, I think every person who works for the school would identify as a Christian. I think most go to a Church of some kind. Some of them have scripture verse reminders posted next them. What really makes me scratch my head is how these people "behave". They are all very optimistic/positive all the time. And yet the way they do things creates a mess, and they leave me the impression that they don't care about what a "janitor" must go through to keep things in working order. In my opinion, this does not sound like people who really have a relationship with Jesus. Firstly Positivity is not the "end all be all" When you read the book of Psalms, you get the impression real quick that a person who has a relationship with God goes through hard times and He or She is going to go up and down. Some how American Christianity equates it's self with showing everyone that your positive and happy. In my opinion a true Christian is transparent. He's an honest person. He doesn't put on a "show". Second, I'm constantly reminded of a passage in the Bible, and it's Jesus talking... Matthew 25:31-46 BUT my brain is all screwed up and nobody cares. Oh well. Bleh! That's how I feel!

I need to give some context. While there are "issues" that get to me on a daily basis. Every now and then, something happens that pushes me over the edge. Tonight I had to do my job and cover for my co-worker. That means I had to clean the entire school all by myself. At night. Anyways before all the teachers went home, approached one of them and said, I got work both sides to night, I won't be able to clean the chalk boards. The person just laughed. I was like: What was so funny about what I said? Is it my suffering your laughing about? I said 'nothing' and just went back to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:56 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Idk I don't judge others salvation but the bible does say you will know them by their fruit. I have bad things happen to me daily but I don't let it get to me. Plus as a christian we have so many eyes on us people want to see us fall and see how we react to things. I like to show people that Jesus conquers all and that earthly circumstances are fleeting.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:05 AM
The Groat King

Those people's​ main religion is capitalism. They are all about making the money and screw everyone else. Fake positivity is one of the main components of capitalism. In fact, it pretty much runs on that because nobody would get out of bed otherwise. It's all ego hiding behind "Christianity".

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

Laughing at a janitor for their work or difficulty is disrespectful. Being employed is something to be proud of.

I think some people, not just Christians, don't get their own religion. Important philosophies don't make a connection. Also we have to battle our earthly urges to dominate other humans. You made a good point that Christians should be transparent and not have fake smiles. Basking in the holiness of God is what should make us happy, not demeaning people with blue collar jobs. I think it would be wise to pray for these people at work that are rude or dismissive.

“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”

― Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan View Post
Laughing at a janitor for their work or difficulty is disrespectful. Being employed is something to be proud of.

I think some people, not just Christians, don't get their own religion. Important philosophies don't make a connection. Also we have to battle our earthly urges to dominate other humans. You made a good point that Christians should be transparent and not have fake smiles. Basking in the holiness of God is what should make us happy, not demeaning people with blue collar jobs. I think it would be wise to pray for these people at work that are rude or dismissive.
I've been working this job for 17 years. It feels like these people don't even realize they are doing it. I know I should pray for them but it's hard. Makes me feel unsaved.

The other janitors feel similar. My one co-worker takes it better then I do. It's funny how all of us feel like the school is going in a bad direction, but the teachers and administrators feel like it's going in a good direction. It's something to "think" about, how the perspectives are different.

For example the teachers and kids write on the tables in markers. When we asked them about it, they tell us, it's because the kids like doing it!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Exist View Post
I've been working this job for 17 years. It feels like these people don't even realize they are doing it. I know I should pray for them but it's hard. Makes me feel unsaved.

The other janitors feel similar. My one co-worker takes it better then I do. It's funny how all of us feel like the school is going in a bad direction, but the teachers and administrators feel like it's going in a good direction. It's something to "think" about, how the perspectives are different.

For example the teachers and kids write on the tables in markers. When we asked them about it, they tell us, it's because the kids like doing it!

They might not realize how much trouble they cause for you and the other janitors. Or they are being just bad about how they treat workers. Depends on the teachers, some at our school were supportive of janitors and were strict on being messy. Then some other teachers couldn't care less and believe that cleaning up is just a part of being a janitor. Hard to understand how difficult a job is until you've done it yourself.
Praying for the people that harm you is still important. We have to pray for the evil in the world: politicians, criminals, hypocrites etc.
People that work hard and are humble will receive God's grace.

“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”

― Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
They might not realize how much trouble they cause for you and the other janitors. Or they are being just bad about how they treat workers. Depends on the teachers, some at our school were supportive of janitors and were strict on being messy. Then some other teachers couldn't care less and believe that cleaning up is just a part of being a janitor. Hard to understand how difficult a job is until you've done it yourself.
Praying for the people that harm you is still important. We have to pray for the evil in the world: politicians, criminals, hypocrites etc.
People that work hard and are humble will receive God's grace.
I don't think it's in my heart. I might not be a Child of God. Or I've grown really hard after putting up with them. There is a teacher that told me, that a school should be messy. I don't know how old you are.... But these teachers do everything that I was taught not to do. It's really hard for me to mentally process how anyone can think in the direction they do. I really wish I had friends in real life to talk too about this. I usually end up stuffing my feelings, yelling at God, or going into depression. I tried to leave this job, but getting another job has proven too hard for me. Things have become more and more complicated, and it's over my head. I spent days just trying to fill out an online application. Now days you got to do the resume, letter, and the application online, and after that hope they will interview you. For someone with my problems it feels like, if God doesn't do something, then I'm just stuck. I'm sorry, I'm going off.... It's, it's, too hard to even get anyone online to understand what I feel like what I'm going through.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:52 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I don't think it's in my heart. I might not be a Child of God. Or I've grown really hard after putting up with them. There is a teacher that told me, that a school should be messy. I don't know how old you are.... But these teachers do everything that I was taught not to do. It's really hard for me to mentally process how anyone can think in the direction they do. I really wish I had friends in real life to talk too about this. I usually end up stuffing my feelings, yelling at God, or going into depression. I tried to leave this job, but getting another job has proven too hard for me. Things have become more and more complicated, and it's over my head. I spent days just trying to fill out an online application. Now days you got to do the resume, letter, and the application online, and after that hope they will interview you. For someone with my problems it feels like, if God doesn't do something, then I'm just stuck. I'm sorry, I'm going off.... It's, it's, too hard to even get anyone online to understand what I feel like what I'm going through.
Don't worry about venting, that's what SAS is for.

People are frustrating to deal with. There could also be a group of bad attitude people that work at your next job. God is here to take the worry off your mind. You are a child of God if you are a believer and follower of Christ. Everyone gets frustrated at God sometimes in their life. I also get the feeling that I was set up for failure. Faith is what keeps us going, it keeps us alive.
It is a disappointment when dealing with people who are supposed to act a certain way and they don't. Makes it seem futile putting in an effort on being a good person when they are rude. That could be God testing you, to see how your faith stands under pressure. Try to stay strong man, and continue investing in the word of God.

― Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
That could be God testing you, to see how your faith stands under pressure.
This is something that a lot of our fellow believers like to say. However I never heard one of them say why, or what is God trying to teach? Why do you think He would do that for 17 years? To build character? If anything my character is falling apart. I saw one of those teachers at church today. I had a bad word cross mind. Like I said, these people don't have a clue how the way they behave effects those under them. As I listened to one of the pastors talk, it crossed my mind that everyone thinks they are the one's who have it rough. Sometimes I think about those who don't have job living on the street, or maybe someone in third world country, who has no access to any of the good things we have. But these thoughts, while they are true, don't make me feel any better. Sometimes I think "feeling better" is my only goal. Yet those people seem to be doing just fine. Not that they don't have highs or lows. It's just that it doesn't seem like their lows is as low my high. If that makes any sense. I worry that God will rebuke me for my thoughts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:37 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
This is something that a lot of our fellow believers like to say. However I never heard one of them say why, or what is God trying to teach? Why do you think He would do that for 17 years? To build character? If anything my character is falling apart. I saw one of those teachers at church today. I had a bad word cross mind. Like I said, these people don't have a clue how the way they behave effects those under them. As I listened to one of the pastors talk, it crossed my mind that everyone thinks they are the one's who have it rough. Sometimes I think about those who don't have job living on the street, or maybe someone in third world country, who has no access to any of the good things we have. But these thoughts, while they are true, don't make me feel any better. Sometimes I think "feeling better" is my only goal. Yet those people seem to be doing just fine. Not that they don't have highs or lows. It's just that it doesn't seem like their lows is as low my high. If that makes any sense. I worry that God will rebuke me for my thoughts.

I don't know, I just think that the bible has good examples of when people went through misery and then became triumphant due to God's glory. I am not good enough to cite accurate books or figures of the bible like this because I am new to being Christian and have a bad memory, but one of the main conclusions of the bible I found was the message that faith will provide you with God's favor. The book of Job is one, but it is used often as an example that life will get better.
Of course a reasonable person will look at homeless and the sick, people who are believers, and wonder why they have to suffer if God cares. It is frustrating to see people that God is apparently not helping. But for whatever reason He gave us direction to help them ourselves and to lead the suffering to Him.
It does sound like things are very tough for you. Have you tried talking to a Christian based therapist? You might be able to get good answers from one.

― Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:48 PM
(J)joke(pj)partjoke(s)sar

And that is the type of job Jesus would do. Sometimes people are too into themselves to think about stuff like that.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
I don't know, I just think that the bible has good examples of when people went through misery and then became triumphant due to God's glory. I am not good enough to cite accurate books or figures of the bible like this because I am new to being Christian and have a bad memory, but one of the main conclusions of the bible I found was the message that faith will provide you with God's favor. The book of Job is one, but it is used often as an example that life will get better.
Of course a reasonable person will look at homeless and the sick, people who are believers, and wonder why they have to suffer if God cares. It is frustrating to see people that God is apparently not helping. But for whatever reason He gave us direction to help them ourselves and to lead the suffering to Him.
It does sound like things are very tough for you. Have you tried talking to a Christian based therapist? You might be able to get good answers from one.
The Bible seems to teach that we are supposed to take care of the poor. We are also supposed to mourn with those that mourn. And rejoice with those who rejoice. When I first tried to get help, I saw a so called Christian therapist. He wasn't very helpful. Then I moved onto another person. And He was nice but at the end of it all, not very helpful. You see, some of these people, will turn you away, if they find out that none of their meds are helping you. There was one consular who recommended an emotional support group. Again my work hours prevented me from being able to attend those meetings. Anyways that was a long time ago, and I've just accepted that things are hard, and I've done a fair share of research, I don't see anyway out of the mess unless Jesus himself motivates someone to rescue me. I don't know what is wrong people today. I guess that is one of the reasons why this site exists. People are not friendly anymore. I've told others online, and offline, how I went to one church for 13 years and never made one friend! Even when I my Dad tried, He couldn't do it either. So my parents and I jumped Churches and found ourselves in the same problem. Jumped Churches again, found the same problem. Jumped yet again, and experiencing the same problem. I've come to the conclusion that there must me something spiritual within human beings. It either mixes well with other souls or it doesn't. It looks like there is something in my family that prevents us from being liked.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
The Bible seems to teach that we are supposed to take care of the poor. We are also supposed to mourn with those that mourn. And rejoice with those who rejoice. When I first tried to get help, I saw a so called Christian therapist. He wasn't very helpful. Then I moved onto another person. And He was nice but at the end of it all, not very helpful. You see, some of these people, will turn you away, if they find out that none of their meds are helping you. There was one consular who recommended an emotional support group. Again my work hours prevented me from being able to attend those meetings. Anyways that was a long time ago, and I've just accepted that things are hard, and I've done a fair share of research, I don't see anyway out of the mess unless Jesus himself motivates someone to rescue me. I don't know what is wrong people today. I guess that is one of the reasons why this site exists. People are not friendly anymore. I've told others online, and offline, how I went to one church for 13 years and never made one friend! Even when I my Dad tried, He couldn't do it either. So my parents and I jumped Churches and found ourselves in the same problem. Jumped Churches again, found the same problem. Jumped yet again, and experiencing the same problem. I've come to the conclusion that there must me something spiritual within human beings. It either mixes well with other souls or it doesn't. It looks like there is something in my family that prevents us from being liked.

A lot of therapists out there are bad unfortunately. Don't give up though, it could still help if you had a professional to help guide you on a personal basis. Even just someone to talk to regularly. My family had similar difficulty, parents never had friends even though we moved a lot. Some families are just solitary, plus it's hard to make friends with other adults. True that we either can mix with others or not, some of us will always be somewhat alone due to being of a sort that can't socialize normally. You have my sympathy bro.

― Nelson Mandela

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page