Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

mixed feelings about taking medications (and Spiritual life)

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  whiteclouds 
#1 ·
I'm sure other people feel this way too. I don't believe taking medication is a sin or anything like that, I'm just not sure if this is what God has intended. Perhaps I am put through these trials of anxiety and depression to become a better person, like st. John of the cross describes in "Dark Night of the Soul." I just wonder if taking my medication (ativan) is taking away a trial God has chosen for me that I could benefit from.

#2 ·
Nickguy,
I have felt the same way before...I am thinking on getting off my medication because I feel like its just so unnatural and I would rather make lifestyle changes like leading a simpler less stress life, rather than trying to conform to our crazy stressful society where I can just "get by" with all the stress becuase im on medication. Did you say you are on or off meds?

#4 ·
I don't know if this will help or not. Maybe just in the fashion it will let you know others share your thoughts;-)

My ex sister in law, whom I love very much, is a Christian, Church, three times per week, prayer meeting, Bible study.
She was going through a turbulent time, we talked, at first it went against what she believed in, in the end, I threatened her, if she didn't get help, I would go to her parents, I truly believed she was so down, too the point of being suicidal.
She went to the doctor, he gave her Zoloft..she took it for almost 9 months before telling her husband, she was afraid of his reaction, he was always. Pray about it, see what God has to say, hear what God wants .He accepted it... He wasn't upset, because he knew if she got to the point of taking meds, she needed them;-)
Also, because she wasn't so down, she felt she could hear what God was saying, and it wasn't voices;-))))) She's doing so much better now;-)

#5 ·
*bumps thread*

This is something I've been thinking about alot, myself (though insead of being because of God, it's more of a karmic issue for me)

For a year during highschool I tried about 4 or 5 different meds for depression, anxiety, and ADD (even though I wasn't diagnosed with ADD, I just had trouble focusing). I stopped because I wanted to go all natural, and deal with this on my own.

The dilema I'm in (aside from the fact that I don't really trust perscription drugs, but that's another issue), is that, what if this is an issue of karma, and this is something I'm supposed to work through on my own- like a sort of "life lesson" that I have to learn before I can move onto the rest of my life, then meds will be preventing me from doing this. But then, if I'm miserable and depressed all the time, I'm not really living, I'm merely existing- so am I just wasting a life by leaving myself in this state or trying to go it alone? It's such a hard question, and I don't think there's one right answer...I guess it's one of those things where you just have to find what's right for you (which is WAY easier said than done). I've been trying to figure this one out for almost 3 years...

#6 ·
Mngirl said:
Nickguy,
I have felt the same way before...I am thinking on getting off my medication because I feel like its just so unnatural and I would rather make lifestyle changes like leading a simpler less stress life, rather than trying to conform to our crazy stressful society where I can just "get by" with all the stress becuase im on medication.
Sounds like an excellent plan. I have a similar outlook on life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.