Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Spiritual Support (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f38/)
-   -   Gospel Artist A-Z? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f38/gospel-artist-a-z-2223981/)

Royals 05-30-2019 06:11 AM

Gospel Artists A-Z?

I am trying to make a complete list of good gospel/religeous artists (I like so far). This is what I have so far (some old, some new, some unknown stuff). Plenty of quality Christian music!

- Aaron & Amanda Crabb
- Aaron Keyes
- Aaron Shust
- Abe Laboriel
- Abe & Liza Philip
- A Blinding Light
- Abundant Praise Band
- A-Chris019
- Act III
- Ad Astra
- Addision Road
- Adie
- All Star United
- Amy Grant

- Babbie Mason
- Bebo Norman
- Barlowgirl
- Big Daddy Weave
- Bill Gaither
- Blindside
- Boogie Monsters
- Brad Hooks
- Braille
- Brain Doerksen
- Bride
- Byron Cage
- By The Tree

- Casting Crowns
- CeCe Winans
- Christian Verwoerd
- Chris Tomlin
- Churck Girard
- Coffey Anderson
- Creed
- Cross Movement
- Customary

- Dana Jorgensen
- DC Talk
- Delirious?
- Deliverance
- Demon Hunter
- Don Moen
- Donnie Mcclurkin
- "D" Poetic Preacha
- Dynamic Twins

- Eden's Bridge
- Elly & Rikkert

- Fireflight

- Gaither Vocal Band
- Gerald Troost
- Golden Gate Quartet
- Gospelgangstaz
- Grave Declaration
- Greenjade
- Grits
- Guardian

- Ill Harmonics
- Imagine This
- Israel Houghton

- Jaci Velasquez
- Jackie Francois
- Jars Of Clay
- Joe Wise
- Johannes Sebastian Bach
- John Ylvisaker
- Josh Blakesley

- Krystal Meyers
- Kutless

- Laura Story
- Love Song
- LPG

- Marcel & Lydia Zimmer
- Mars Ill
- Marvin Sapp
- Matthew West
- Matthijn Buwalda
- Matt Redman
- Michael Card
- Micheal Peace
- Michael W Smith

- Natalie Grant
- Neal Morse
- New Wine
- Norman Greenbaum

- 1 Way

- Peace 586
- Pete Sanchez
- Petra
- P.I.D.

- Reverend Gary Davis
- Rich Mullins
- Roy Acuff

- Sehf One
- Sister Janet Mead
- Sister Rosetta Tharpe
- Smokie Norful
- Smooth P
- Stryper
- Sweet Revival

- T-Bone
- The Ambassador

- The Katinas
- The Rock Of Ages Band
- Tommy James
- Tourniquet
- Twila Paris

- Washington Phillips
- William McDowell

Please add names/suggestions to the list....!

Royals 06-01-2019 06:43 AM

Anyone has suggestions? Love to hear them.

Harveykinkle 06-10-2019 12:49 PM

If you're including Creed then I imagine Relient K counts

Royals 06-11-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harveykinkle (Post 1093738821)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvz0J0WBZPE

If you're including Creed then I imagine Relient K counts

I heard their name before and was thinking adding them because they are a popular name. But never really heard their music. But it sounds good!

Harveykinkle 06-11-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royals (Post 1093739443)
I heard their name before and was thinking adding them because they are a popular name. But never really heard their music. But it sounds good!

Yeah, they were always a fun band with some deeper songs. Another one not on your list is Third Day. They have a lot of good ones. This one I relate to a lot.

Royals 06-13-2019 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harveykinkle (Post 1093739679)
Yeah, they were always a fun band with some deeper songs. Another one not on your list is Third Day. They have a lot of good ones. This one I relate to a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_e3aJLRsdc

Oh yeah, how could I forget them!

Dan the man 06-17-2019 04:45 PM

She was at one time....

Royals 06-18-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man (Post 1093745097)

I haven't heard of her music but it sounds good!

Dan the man 06-18-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royals (Post 1093745387)
I haven't heard of her music but it sounds good!

I'm taking that you meant that you didn't know she started out as a gospel singer. You know way too much to not know who she is!

sabbath9 06-18-2019 07:05 PM

Johnny Cash
Bob Dylan
Aretha Franklin
Al Green
Willie Nelson
Dolly Parton
Elvis Presley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_Music_Hall_of_Fame

Royals 06-20-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man (Post 1093745793)
I'm taking that you meant that you didn't know she started out as a gospel singer. You know way too much to not know who she is!

I just do not know everything! I have only so mch time to discover (new) music. So that's why I ask :D

Royals 06-20-2019 04:26 AM

Ik know these artist have created gospel music but also mostly secular music. Can you classify them as Christian/gospel artists? Is a band like U2 a Christian band or a secular band who writes Christian songs or with Christian themes? I"m not sure.

sabbath9 06-20-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royals (Post 1093746823)
I know these artist have created gospel music but also mostly secular music. Can you classify them as Christian/gospel artists? Is a band like U2 a Christian band or a secular band who writes Christian songs or with Christian themes? I"m not sure.

A lot of pop stars got their start singing gospel music. Most of the artists I listed are in the Gospel Music Hall of Fame because they created great Gospel Music even after they were famous pop stars.

Some people are ultra concerned with labeling people and / or genres. Whereas I'm more concerned with the quality / values of the musicians. Johnny Cash may have been a huge pop star but deep down he'll always be a gospel singer / truth teller to me.

Elvis has a million great songs and I think it would be a great disservice to him to discount his gospel songs just because he had great success in secular music.

Even rock artists can create great versions of gospel songs even though most of their music is secular. ZZ Top's "Jesus Just Left Chicago", The Doobie Brothers' "Jesus is Just Alright", Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz", James Brown in the "Blues Brothers" movie, etc.

To me, great music is great music regardless of what genre people want to pigeonhole the artist into. The struggles these artists went thru to get where they got is just as important or maybe more important as all the fame and fortune they attained.

Quote:

In March 1935, when Johnny Cash was three years old, the family settled in Dyess, Arkansas, a New Deal colony established to give poor families the opportunity to work land that they may later own.[24] From the age of five, Cash worked in cotton fields with his family, singing with them as they worked. The Cash farm in Dyess experienced a flood, which led Cash later to write the song "Five Feet High and Rising".[25] His family's economic and personal struggles during the Great Depression inspired many of his songs, especially those about other people facing similar difficulties. Consequently, Cash had sympathy for the poor and working class throughout his life.

On Saturday May 12, 1944, Cash's older brother Jack, with whom he was close, was seriously injured in an accident at his job in a high school. He was pulled into an unguarded table saw while cutting oak into fence posts, and was almost cut in two. He died from his injuries a week later.[26] Cash often spoke of the guilt he felt over this incident; according to Cash: The Autobiography, his father was away that morning, but Johnny, his mother, and even Jack himself, all had premonitions or a sense of foreboding about that day. His mother urged Jack to skip work and go fishing with his brother, but he insisted on working as the family needed the money. On his deathbed, Jack said he had visions of Heaven and angels. Decades later, Cash spoke of looking forward to meeting his brother in Heaven.[7]

Cash's early memories were dominated by gospel music and radio. Taught guitar by his mother and a childhood friend, Cash began playing and writing songs at the age of 12. When young, Cash had a high-tenor voice, before becoming a bass-baritone after his voice changed.[27]

In high school, he sang on a local radio station. Decades later, he released an album of traditional gospel songs, called My Mother's Hymn Book.

Dan the man 06-22-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royals (Post 1093746815)
I just do not know everything! I have only so mch time to discover (new) music. So that's why I ask :D

You honestly don't know who Katy Perry is

Royals 06-25-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man (Post 1093748557)
You honestly don't know who Katy Perry is

Oh sorry, I only red Katy Hudson. Ofcourse, she once was a gospel singer. Too bad she had to sell her soul. She didn't have to change her style. There are plenty of succesful gospel singers like Amy Grant.

Royals 06-25-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabbath9 (Post 1093747561)
A lot of pop stars got their start singing gospel music. Most of the artists I listed are in the Gospel Music Hall of Fame because they created great Gospel Music even after they were famous pop stars.

Some people are ultra concerned with labeling people and / or genres. Whereas I'm more concerned with the quality / values of the musicians. Johnny Cash may have been a huge pop star but deep down he'll always be a gospel singer / truth teller to me.

Elvis has a million great songs and I think it would be a great disservice to him to discount his gospel songs just because he had great success in secular music.

Even rock artists can create great versions of gospel songs even though most of their music is secular. ZZ Top's "Jesus Just Left Chicago", The Doobie Brothers' "Jesus is Just Alright", Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz", James Brown in the "Blues Brothers" movie, etc.

To me, great music is great music regardless of what genre people want to pigeonhole the artist into. The struggles these artists went thru to get where they got is just as important or maybe more important as all the fame and fortune they attained.

I guess youre right. But us humans like to categorize and create sgenres to clarify things. To me, music is music too.