Do you feel like you don't fit in at church? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you feel like you don't fit in at church?

I've been a regular attender of two churches, and I just never feel like I fit in. At the current church I attend, I just feel so out of place. They try to make me feel included but I feel like I just am not as good as anyone else. It seems like most Christians I've known come from healthy families where they all go to church and aren't given to destructive behaviors and vices. I come from a family of alcoholics and my parents will not go to church or give any of it a reasonable try. Although much of my extended family seems to be healthy and attend church, my immediate family are alcoholics.

Also it seems like all of the Christians I know have nice houses and plenty of money, and live lifestyles that don't tie them down to a job 9-5 everyday yet I don't have any of that and I have to work regular hours.

Plus most I know are very outgoing and seemingly happy personalities. I am not. I think a lot of it has to do with how they were raised. Most people I know who once went to church and came from family situations like mine eventually ended up leaving the church and faith and end up in destructive behaviors such as what their parents were addicted to sadly.

I know we shouldn't want what others have but it is really upsetting. The more I get to know people the worse I feel about myself.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Aw if I my immediate family were alcoholics I'd still go to church by myself. If you feel lonely, you could try talking to the pastor or other people you do feel comfortable with even if it's just a few, you could also find out about others you could relate to, you'd be surprised that many people who go to church have issues and praying is important too, be a prayer warrior. I know it can be hard but God is for you, not against you as His child and follower. blessings
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:11 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
My issue is I feel like I don't have much time for the church activities besides sunday service. With work and other faith stuff its rough.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:34 PM
SAS Member

As a socially awkward person, I've never felt like I fit in anywhere but I used to go to a large church and I met a few people who were similar to me and we became good friends. A few church friends was all I needed. I believe you can connect with others similar to you. Don't give up. I pray God blesses you with the friends you are looking for.

Also I think that church can be a lot like social media. People come in and put on their best face and act like everything in their life is going smoothly. But, you are not seeing the arguments at home and the struggles that each church members are going through. The most helpful thing is to open up to people. To learn to connect, they have you youtube videos on this subject. I haven't taken the time to learn but connecting with other introverts is working for me at the moment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 03:30 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Church is supposed to a hospital for the soul. I go alone, but there are a few people who I keep up with. People aren't perfect; if the church has that attitude, you're good.

Everybody has a testimony.That means that anyone can help others. It is all about the preparation for Jesus' return. Each of us have that task.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 03:47 AM
Packing My Bags

My view is your main objective in going to church is to worship the respective god and the religion, and not really there to worry about fitting in and how you relate to other fellow church members. If you feel like the church is good to deliver your objective in worshipping the religion and with god or with whatever or whoever is being worshipped, that is probably a good enough church... I would figure.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.

Succinct is golden.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 11:53 AM
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
My view is your main objective in going to church is to worship the respective god and the religion, and not really there to worry about fitting in and how you relate to other fellow church members. If you feel like the church is good to deliver your objective in worshipping the religion and with god or with whatever or whoever is being worshipped, that is probably a good enough church... I would figure.
Church is all about the people, I can worship God at home . Its about worshiping with others and fellowship with other believers.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 01:53 AM
Packing My Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Church is all about the people, I can worship God at home . Its about worshiping with others and fellowship with other believers.

Ah ok. As a non church goer, I actually have no idea. So church is indeed for social mingling-worship I see.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.

Succinct is golden.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 06:03 AM
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Ah ok. As a non church goer, I actually have no idea. So church is indeed for social mingling-worship I see.
Yeah its all about fellowship/others . Its the only time I personally get to get together with other believers, its awesome. All there for the same purpose to glorify and worship Him.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page