deciding for a religion - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

deciding for a religion

hello all,

i think that religion could help me with my sa problems. can anyone suggest to me how i know which religion is suitabe for me. I am 25 and have never really believed in religion or a god and was thinking maybe its time to be a bit more open and explore some sort of spirituality.

anyone else being down the same path?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:48 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Yes, I have.

Can I ask you: why are you interested in religion? Why would it help your SA?

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 04:35 PM

I don't know about religion, but studying about 'Metaphysics' may be a good pathway, i'm studying it, it gives me peace of mind and does help my SA.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:30 PM
SAS Member

Re: deciding for a religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimaus
can anyone suggest to me how i know which religion is suitable for me.
You might try reading the New Testament, and seeing if you like it. ?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:14 PM

My suggestion is just to be open-minded. Explore all the options out there, and in time the truth will come to you. Good luck with your search.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:35 PM

I don't think you can just pick a religion, it something comes to you, or rather from you. And it's always growing with you.

But it's always great to learn about various religions. Check out a site like http://www.religioustolerance.org/. See if anything appeals to you.

Or if you can, get your hands on the documentary "What the Bleep Do We Kow?"

These are just the various things that come to mind.

Personally, I always thought buddhism was a good bet, with all the meditation and acceptance. But that take a lot of discipline.

Don't forget to look inward as much, if not more than, outward.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Okay don't anyone shoot me..

If you go to beliefnet.org (?) or is it com? they have a quiz called the "Belief-o-meter". Sounds ridiculous I know, but what it does is ask you a series of questions regarding your personal viewpoints on how you see God, sin, the afterlife, etc. then gives you a listing of religions and denominations that best match your answers. (Mine best matches, for example were Reconstructionist Judaism [100%] and Liberal Quakerism [90%] Go figure..) Not that you should take the results as gospel (sorry couldn't help the pun), but might give you a starting place. Moreover, they also have pages and pages of information on basic beliefs and practices for just about every organized religion in the world. I think its a great resource.

Good luck!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM

Haha. I never thought choosing a religion would be so easy.
My results-
Theravada Buddhism 100%
Mahayana Buddhism 99%
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 04:49 PM

If its God Himself that you are interested in, then you need not choose a religion at all. Often times religions are full of man made laws and legalism. The often emphasize salvations through works, not by the Grace of God.

I have a very close relationship with God and am trying all the time to learn more about Him. I am reading the Bible and fellowshipping with other Christians, but not pursuing any religion.

I personally do not believe in religiosity. You can learn from the bible and do what the word tells you to do and keep your life in agreement with it, not religion.

anway, just by 2 cents.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 06:50 AM

Explore by reading and by attending services, if you are able. I suggest that your decision not rest on how cool something sounds or whether your peers all seem to be doing it or because you feel you can make your own religion to satisfy yourself 100% with fabrication. On the other hand, you probably don't want to adopt a belief only because your parents believe that way or because you are persuaded to the point of coercion by a religious group.

And realize, too, that if you choose a path and later find out it's wrong for you, you can always change directions.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia
Or if you can, get your hands on the documentary "What the Bleep Do We Kow?"

Don't forget to look inward as much, if not more than, outward.
Ophelia knows what she is talking about. Listen to her.

Religion can definitely send you in the right direction, I respect you for seeing that. Just know that religion without passion will not get you anywhere closer to what you are looking to achieve.

I respect religion and those who are dedicated to Christ. If it were not for my past belief in Christ, I would likely not be where I am today. I am working my current job today thanks to a strong believer of Jesus. I gave my time and my money for Jesus with prayers for a long-term payback. I got the payback, yet learned my belief in God was just a stepping stone of my success. My ultimate success turned out to be a result my belief in myself, thanks to my belief in God.

Religion is always going to be how you perceive it. It is kickass if you can heartedly believe. I have learned through my experiences with God that he is of the greatest tools to wake up and see reality. Whether you believe in God or not, the bible can be a daily learning tool. The best place to start is church.

I don't live for God anymore. I have learned that he is really a tool of enlightenment. He has enlightened me to realize that I am as I define myself, which kicks ***.

"What the bleep do we know" is a profound movie for us SA'ers. It teaches us we can change all by ourselves if we want to. It helps us realize that we can easily screw up and make wrong decisions at any time, and that screwing does not define us as losers. Samantha is a perfect example of someone who deals with thew same crap us SA'ers do everyday. She's blind, but is able to learn that blindness does not define her, just like our SA. SA is an excuse for our unhappiness. This movie, after watching it many times is slowly teaching me to laugh at my SA. I can't describe the feeling of that.

If you are serious about religion, the scientists and docs in that movie definitely support the concept of a higher being. They are smart as they do not reject any possibility of reality.

Best of luck to you. If you do one thing, watch the movie passionately mentioned above. Be open minded when you do. I never used to be open minded because of my stupid SA, but I am now. I really don't fear SA anymore because I know it is all in my mind and I am caring less and less about how others perceive me.

You are moving along the right track mimiaus, keep moving.

Shiznit
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 03:30 AM
SAS Member

New Thought 100%
New Age 99%
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:26 PM

pray to god and ask him to help you find "the truth". If it's truly in your heart you will find it but whether you want to accept it or not is your choice. That's the free will god has given to all of us.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:49 AM

Ask God (of the Bible) to help you. A scripture to help you is:

Luke 11:9-13 "So I say to you: ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives;he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks the door will be opened. Which of you fathers , if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil,know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

I'll pray for you, God Bless
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 07:29 PM

John 14:6, 13

You must pray to god through jesus christ to be heard.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:46 PM

I have a minor in religious studies in university and I must say that the most interesting religion I studied was probably Buddhism. It really teaches you how to acheive inner peace particularly with your environment. One time we had a Buddhist monk come to one of our lectures.

Myself I don't belong to a particular religion I kind of follow my own spirituality.

But joining a religion can be a good way to also meet new people, make friends, and be more social.

If you want to give Christianity a try you can join a church. Often those communities have periodic gatherings and social events.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:45 AM

don't join a religion. Study all religions, study life and your own true belief will emerge. Religions might provide social acceptance, but they also exploit vulnerable people's need for love, which makes them susceptible to influence. Evil people use religion for social control and as a means to maintain their power. Religions just serve to divide the people of god. How can they truly represent that which unites us all. There are as many different ways to find god as there are different people in the whole world because God is in every one of us. You can't only reach god through signing up to a particular religion. Why would they want to tell you that if not to try and control you?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

I think people who are religious are healthier than someone who is not because religion guides, gives direction, gives meaning, brings the social dimension of community, and extending the message of love which i think all the world's tradition stresses on. I think its good that you are seeking religion. Hope you find a religion that fits for you
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:28 PM

re: deciding for a religion

Awesome to hear others input on religon. That what makes our lives so amazing. We have the freedom to think, live, and strive as we want to. God is what you think he/she is, not what others do to convince you.

I support religon big time so long as it is used in positive fashions. Those who put judgement on others as a result of their religon or any other irrational reason will likely live a trapped closed minded life. They seem to be in a never ending loop of struggle to reach enlightenment. We all have the freedom to define the directions of ourselves at all times. Our thoughts, perceptions, experiences and realities. Our lives.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:50 AM

re: deciding for a religion

Take the Belief-O-Matic test on BeliefNet.

Read, study, and learn all you can. Eventually you'll develop a spirituality if not an actual, concrete "religion" that can help in times of great depression. If what you're looking for is that sense of community associated with organized religion, however, the Belief-O-Matic thing could help you figure out which way to go.

xoxo
Maggi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page