Christians, what is your view on LGBT? - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Musicfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095

Christians, what is your view on LGBT?


If sins are equal then how come there is so much criticism of gays and transgenders? It seems like some people aren't taking the 'hate the sin not the sinner' to heart and some churches deliberately make it part of their agenda to attack and bring down LGBT people.

I know that this doesn't apply to all Christians, but it is no mystery that there is a history of contemptuous feelings towards this group of people. One recent topic is the Chick fil-A donations and how they stopped giving to two groups who had anti-LGBT leanings. This has made a lot of Christians angry.

I watched a doc on the Dead Sea scrolls recently and they mentioned about a religious group that paid big money for some scripture against homosexuality:

(transcript):
Quote:
My favorite of these is Southwestern Baptist Seminary purchased some Dead Sea Scroll fragments, and one of the fragments contains the two parts from Leviticus that seem to prohibit homosexuality. And what’s strange about that is, in the Bible, those mentions are two chapters apart from each other, but here they are right next to each other on a single scroll, as if somebody in antiquity thought, “Let me get all of the homosexual laws in one place.” And not only did they do that, but it happened to be preserved, and happened to be offered to the Southwestern Baptist Seminary. The overlap between the content and the ideological interests of the purchaser are just too on the nose to be believable.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/...inkId=76310420




This isn't a debate thread I just want to hear Christians honest opinions on this. This is the spiritual section where religious people should be able to share their opinion without being attacked.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
Musicfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 78
My Mood: Cheerful
I've met a number of gay people, and none mistreated me that i recall.


The bible is clearly against LGBT practice in many places.


Of course, Jesus is clearly against fornication- which most straight people engage in.


It is important to be clear about what the bible says, but not cruel. It was Jesus who said to get the beam out of your eye to see the speck in another person's eye, and spared the adulteress being stoned.


Jesus sacrifice clears our sins if we believe, and the gift of the holy spirit and grace allow the blessed to become the new man and not behave as they would otherwise. Christianity says none can do it on their own.


Jesus said to love one another, and Paul said every virtue would be useless if he didn't have love.



the wage of sin is death, so to fail to inform on sin isn't love.


love is the key- god is love, after all
GeorgeMilton is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Musicfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMilton View Post
I've met a number of gay people, and none mistreated me that i recall.


The bible is clearly against LGBT practice in many places.


Of course, Jesus is clearly against fornication- which most straight people engage in.


It is important to be clear about what the bible says, but not cruel. It was Jesus who said to get the beam out of your eye to see the speck in another person's eye, and spared the adulteress being stoned.


Jesus sacrifice clears our sins if we believe, and the gift of the holy spirit and grace allow the blessed to become the new man and not behave as they would otherwise. Christianity says none can do it on their own.


Jesus said to love one another, and Paul said every virtue would be useless if he didn't have love.



the wage of sin is death, so to fail to inform on sin isn't love.


love is the key- god is love, after all

Very nicely said, thanks for sharing. From what I understand Jesus didn't talk about homosexuality other than his direction to obeying laws of God. And if fornication is considered immoral for both straight and homosexuals, this makes more sense than to ban sexual acts of one of these groups.

As you said God is Love, this is so important and unfortunately is lost on some that don't know how to love their neighbor. Even if they have a life different than yours it is still the way of the Lord to love them.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
Musicfan is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:16 PM
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 56,149
My Mood: Inspired
All sins are equal thing is complicated....yes and no. All sins can be forgiven and sin equals death but to say murdering someone is the same as hating someone is not wise. Have to think about the rewards in Heaven as well.

I'm disappointed in chick fil a honestly. I'm all for loving the person hate the sin but to stop donating to organizations that are against sin is like wow.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Musicfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
All sins are equal thing is complicated....yes and no. All sins can be forgiven and sin equals death but to say murdering someone is the same as hating someone is not wise. Have to think about the rewards in Heaven as well.

I'm disappointed in chick fil a honestly. I'm all for loving the person hate the sin but to stop donating to organizations that are against sin is like wow.

Thanks for sharing. It is complicated, hard to know which sins are worst, murder certainly is at the top. Seems though the message was sin was equal, I'm not sure if this is how some people interpret the bible. I need to re read through the bible since I've forgotten a lot. There is also a shift that's currently happening regarding LGBT acceptance. So I think we will see more Christians being less critical over time of certain sins, like gay marriage. But if someone is a close follower of the bible and believes in God's sanctity of marriage being a man and a woman then Christians should respect this. I just think that there is also a society problem, to use sin as an excuse to hate gay people, rather than love the individual as God intended.



I think I came off too aggressive in the original post. Wasn't looking to expose people, just to hear different opinions and reasoning why people are for or against.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
Musicfan is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:33 PM
SAS Member
 
Harveykinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Greendale
Posts: 223
Quote:
"The LORD does not see as man does. For man sees the outward appearance, but the LORD sees the heart.”
LGBT people are often judged at face value. Not for the content of their character but by one aspect of who they are. It's tragic how sweet and giving of themselves some of them are and yet they may not find real acceptance. This one transgender woman on Youtube, almost immediately I could see it, that she is full of light. I don't think she could be mean to someone even if they really deserved it. It's not in her heart to be able to do that. It's only in her to love people and if that's not a sign of God within her then I don't know what is. I've known a transgender person in real life and they were about the same. It was the only person who ever made me a birthday card. I've had gay, lesbian, and bi friends online. I hope they, and all LGBT people, and of course everyone else can find happiness.
Harveykinkle is online now  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM
SAS Member
 
Royals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,481
It's hard for them just like for any other condemned group that so many Christians judge them. They get a mixed view of religion. They will reject Christianity and think we believe in a hateful God because we are so un Christ like. So we should remember we always have to judge the sin not the person, or the heart. God will judge the heart and not the outer appearance. Sin is sin, wether you are a gay or hetereo. Let's judge sin out of care and love for the other. Not to condemn them.
Royals is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Musicfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveykinkle View Post
LGBT people are often judged at face value. Not for the content of their character but by one aspect of who they are. It's tragic how sweet and giving of themselves some of them are and yet they may not find real acceptance. This one transgender woman on Youtube, almost immediately I could see it, that she is full of light. I don't think she could be mean to someone even if they really deserved it. It's not in her heart to be able to do that. It's only in her to love people and if that's not a sign of God within her then I don't know what is. I've known a transgender person in real life and they were about the same. It was the only person who ever made me a birthday card. I've had gay, lesbian, and bi friends online. I hope they, and all LGBT people, and of course everyone else can find happiness.

It is refreshing to see someone full of light, sadly a lot of good people are repressed for the way they were born. God can bring people out of darkness and into the light, can change everyone for the better. Important to have open arms for those society deems unworthy.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
Musicfan is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Musicfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royals View Post
It's hard for them just like for any other condemned group that so many Christians judge them. They get a mixed view of religion. They will reject Christianity and think we believe in a hateful God because we are so un Christ like. So we should remember we always have to judge the sin not the person, or the heart. God will judge the heart and not the outer appearance. Sin is sin, wether you are a gay or hetereo. Let's judge sin out of care and love for the other. Not to condemn them.

True, unfortunately there is judging on both sides. Not fair to lump Christians as being bigoted, when there are so many with big hearts and can see the other person on the inside.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
Musicfan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome