Caring for others conquers fear - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Caring for others conquers fear

I have some thoughts today about SA. I think 1 John 4 has some of the most helpful verses for us in overcoming our fear.

1 John 4:18: "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

This is immediately interesting because it apparently provides us a way to drive out fear. By context it is referring to fear of God, since the previous verse talks about confidence on the day of judgement. Verse 18 is saying that love for God drives out our fear of Him (the unhealthy kind of fear, not the fear that helps us to keep his commandments). I believe that this truth can be applied to social anxiety as well, and I have evidence in my life to support this. It can be applied in the following way: although I fear my voice and my words, there exists a confidence that overthrows these fears. This confidence is in love, which gives us the need to do good for others. If someone is suffering, and we pity them and see we have the ability to change it, through this need, not want but need, we will be driven to do whatever it is we need to do to help them. If you are thirsty, you won't think twice about giving yourself a drink, no fear or anything. Similarly, through love, we can overcome our initial fears by this powerful need.

So focusing on others overcomes our fears. To many of us, this is not news, but this is a wonderful book in the bible to further teach us about what kind of love we should have for others. Verse 10, 11 says: "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." As Christians we can see the kind of love God has for us through the sacrifice of His Son. Knowing this, we have a template for our love towards others. This is a very powerful love.

Though I have extrapolated a bit, please see for yourself if it isn't true in your life. If you have acknowledged that Jesus died for your sins you have this love in you.

I'm tempted to quote the entirety of 1 John 4 because it has so much truth to offer us. I urge you to give it a read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Tired
1 John 4:18 is one of the best verses in the Bible. Here is another I like.

"Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Don't neglect to show hospitality, for by doing this some have welcomed angels as guests without knowing it. Think constantly of those in prison as if you were prisoners at their side. Think too of all who suffer as if you shared their pain."

- Hebrews 13:1-3
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:13 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Thanks for mentioning this. I definitely have some reading to do.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:57 PM
SAS Member

Good, and serving others helps us get outside of ourselves and conquers self-pity.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
This is beautiful. Thank you for giving me a good thought

Hopefully I can someday find the certain happiness/peace Ive been longing for without fear in this life.

Bless you all today

I've been seeking happiness for years.
I've lived in hiding from the darkness.
I've spent so many hours in question.
I've prayed that God finds me soon.
Only to realize I must find myself.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Gone and not returning.

Lao Tzu 'Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.'

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page