Can you be Christian and believe in the Big Bang or evolution? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
The Wanderer

Can you be Christian and believe in the Big Bang or evolution?

What do you think, does the Big Bang or evolution fit in with bible?

I believe that we are made of stardust and evolved into what we are today. My personal belief is I think that God set the laws of physics, universal constants, he created the universe and that we evolved with His hands. Also I support the belief that we are made in God's image. Just not that it was an immediate appearance. That eventually over billions of years humans were formed into God's image.

But someone who takes the bible are literally as possible would believe that this is false. God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Earth was formed before the sun and stars. Adam was formed before Eve. Christ spoke of the literal Genesis as said by the writers of the Gospel such as Mark.

Quote:
“From the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female’” (Mark 10:6, quoting Genesis 1:27)
Here are some quotes by popular Christians on their own views of evolution.

Quote:
Billy Graham (1918-2018 )
Evangelist, pastor, and author

I don’t think that there’s any conflict at all between science today and the Scriptures. I think that we have misinterpreted the Scriptures many times and we’ve tried to make the Scriptures say things they weren’t meant to say. I think that we have made a mistake by thinking the Bible is a scientific book. The Bible is not a book of science. The Bible is a book of Redemption, and of course I accept the Creation story. I believe that God did create the universe. I believe that God created man, and whether it came by an evolutionary process and at a certain point He took this person or being and made him a living soul or not, does not change the fact that God did create man. […] whichever way God did it makes no difference as to what man is and man’s relationship to God.[3]

C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)
Author, scholar, and apologist

We must sharply distinguish between Evolution as a biological theorem and popular Evolutionism or Developmentalism which is certainly a Myth. […] To the biologist Evolution […] covers more of the facts than any other hypothesis at present on the market and is therefore to be accepted unless, or until, some new supposal can be shown to cover still more facts with even fewer assumptions.[4]

For long centuries God perfected the animal form which was to become the vehicle of humanity and the image of Himself. He gave it hands whose thumb could be applied to each of the fingers, and jaws and teeth and throat capable of articulation, and a brain sufficiently complex to execute all the material motions whereby rational thought is incarnated. The creature may have existed for ages in this state before it became man: it may even have been clever enough to make things which a modern archaeologist would accept as proof of its humanity. But it was only an animal because all its physical and psychical processes were directed to purely material and natural ends. Then, in the fullness of time, God caused to descend upon this organism, both on its psychology and physiology, a new kind of consciousness which could say “I” and “me,” which could look upon itself as an object, which knew God, which could make judgments of truth, beauty, and goodness, and which was so far above time that it could perceive time flowing past.[5]
https://biologos.org/articles/famous...ristian-faith/

Also can a person be saved by Christ if they believe in evolution or the Big Bang?

[Everyone disliked that.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:11 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
I personally think the big bang is ridiculous. I take scripture seriously and the bible is clear on this. But appreciate your thoughts on the matter .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
I personally think the big bang is ridiculous. I take scripture seriously and the bible is clear on this. But appreciate your thoughts on the matter .

Fair enough, I wanted to hear people's opinions even if they differ from mine.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:11 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
I don't think what a person believes about the nature of creation is salvific, at least, but it's still important (just not the primary thing). If modern science says something that conflicts with one of the many Christian narratives out there, then the narrative is wrong or modern science is wrong, so what do we do if the narrative or interpretation we've been taught is seemingly irreconcilable? I think God is far more capable of consistency than we are, and that we're simply going to discover that we've been wrong about things again and again so we must be careful with the narratives we create. I base my faith primarily on a belief in the reality of God first, everything thing else like creation accounts I've had to constantly unlearn and relearn as a Christian. Maybe that makes me a not so good one? 😜

I think there are a few different theories of creationism that interpret the Genesis creation account differently like gap theory, day-age theory, and allegorical interpretations. Study those I'd say, and draw your own conclusion. I can say I can imagine God creating the world as something like a "Big Bang."

Life's Wack
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I don't think what a person believes about the nature of creation is salvific, at least, but it's still important (just not the primary thing). If modern science says something that conflicts with one of the many Christian narratives out there, then the narrative is wrong or modern science is wrong, so what do we do if the narrative or interpretation we've been taught is seemingly irreconcilable? I think God is far more capable of consistency than we are, and that we're simply going to discover that we've been wrong about things again and again so we must be careful with the narratives we create. I base my faith primarily on a belief in the reality of God first, everything thing else like creation accounts I've had to constantly unlearn and relearn as a Christian. Maybe that makes me a not so good one? 😜

I think there are a few different theories of creationism that interpret the Genesis creation account differently like gap theory, day-age theory, and allegorical interpretations. Study those I'd say, and draw your own conclusion. I can say I can imagine God creating the world as something like a "Big Bang."

I'll check out the gap theory, day age theory and allegorical interpretations. I agree about putting God first, just that it's hard to unlearn what you've been taught from the beginning. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
The Big Bang theory was hypothesized by the Catholic priest Georges Lemaître,
and some of his critics argued it was just an attempt to prove his religious beliefs ("let there be light"), he basically saw religious and science as valid but separate ways of knowing truth though and was actually uncomfortable with the pope claiming his theory was proof for Christian teachings about creation. Also the Anglican priest Charles Kingsley was an early supporter of Darwin and had the motto "God makes things make themselves".
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan View Post
Fair enough, I wanted to hear people's opinions even if they differ from mine.
No, it is clear in the bible/Word in Genesis 1:24-27 that He made the creatures, etc separate from us, no evolution involved from what I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
I think so too (in the underlined), lol!
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:28 PM
Social experimenter

My Mood: Busy
@Musicfan , lookup Deism, it will spare you the headache. All the founding fathers and many great thinkers and scientists of the enlightenment believed in it. You know, that time when empiricism and rationalism merged and it was decided that logic and modernist philosophy should replace religious dogma... Oh and you're welcome

Having SA feels like being a scratched up LP that keeps getting stuck at exactly 10 seconds into Track 02.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
and some of his critics argued it was just an attempt to prove his religious beliefs ("let there be light"), he basically saw religious and science as valid but separate ways of knowing truth though and was actually uncomfortable with the pope claiming his theory was proof for Christian teachings about creation. Also the Anglican priest Charles Kingsley was an early supporter of Darwin and had the motto "God makes things make themselves".
Was reading about Georges Lemaître earlier today, that is an interesting story. I haven't read about Charles Kingsley yet but I'll check him out.

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
No, it is clear in the bible/Word in Genesis 1:24-27 that He made the creatures, etc separate from us, no evolution involved from what I read.

I think so too (in the underlined), lol!
Okay well then I guess I have a big choice to make

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
@Musicfan , lookup Deism, it will spare you the headache. All the founding fathers and many great thinkers and scientists of the enlightenment believed in it. You know, that time when empiricism and rationalism merged and it was decided that logic and modernist philosophy should replace religious dogma... Oh and you're welcome

Thanks I'll will give it a look. That's one thing about being raised atheist without any teaching about religion is that you have to start somewhere and come to your own conclusion, with some guidance needed.

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Social experimenter

My Mood: Busy
I will say this: it helps to understand the basis behind things or where and how ideas evolved from previous ones.

Having SA feels like being a scratched up LP that keeps getting stuck at exactly 10 seconds into Track 02.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan View Post
Okay well then I guess I have a big choice to make
What are your thoughts?
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:50 PM
On Life Support

My Mood: Buzzed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
and some of his critics argued it was just an attempt to prove his religious beliefs ("let there be light"), he basically saw religious and science as valid but separate ways of knowing truth though and was actually uncomfortable with the pope claiming his theory was proof for Christian teachings about creation.
Darn! You beat me to it.

I was brought up Catholic and went to Catholic school throughout my formative years. I suppose that you could say that the Catholic church is not as hung up on the old testament as other denominations. The nuns told us that the book of Genesis is to be interpreted as an allegory that contains spiritual truths ( such as original sin) but not as a historical or scientific account of events ( Universe created in 7 Days, two original progenitors, etc...).

Likewise, we never had a problem covering topics in biology class such as early hominids, evolution, etc... why? Because it doesn't contradict the spiritual teachings of Jesus. It is the same reason why most Christians don't follow Rabbinic law and are able to pork, combine wool and linen, etc... as such rules have no bearing on "salvation".

You also have to remember that the Bible is compilation of various books, that were directed at different audiences, in different times, served different purposes and were written in different literary styles.

E.g: the gospels (accounts of Jesus' life) read different from the epistles ( directed at various early churches) which in turn read different from Revelation (prophetic revelation).

Likewise in the old Testament, the book of Psalms (hymns and poems) reads different from the book of Daniel (account of his life and revelations) which in turn differs from Deuteronomy ( civil law and conduct).

Scripture is not to be interpreted in a continuous fashion within a vacuum without understanding the context and purpose of each book.

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
If scientists are calling the Big Bang the "God Particle", its' their attempt at trying to explain a miracle.

God knows more than I do, so I leave it up to Him.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
What are your thoughts?

Right now I'm sad and disappointed because I felt that the bible was the right way. It did make an impact when I was reading the New Testament. But I don't know if I can ever get rid of my science beliefs. Just now that I'm stuck in the middle and that it might be that way forever that I never pick a side. Making up a theory isn't what people consider wise but I'm trying to somehow arrange things to fit. Some of the Popes have thought that science and religion can work together but then there seems to be a consensus with Christians that this is impossible.

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM
alien monk

the big bang thing has never made much sense to me. I'm sure you can believe in both? because one does not support the other doesn't mean it necessarily denies it? and a Christian can just about believe anything they like. so...

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Why not believe in everything, just in case.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:13 PM
Greasy prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loserguy View Post
The bible says that the world was created about 6000 years ago.
According to science it's 14 billion years ago.
Huge discrepancy there.
Yeah but time doesn't exist to god so it's all relative.

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM
Greasy prospector

The god of the Bible's not the real god its only a front for the mafia of the universe... : /

- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page