Biblical gender roles #2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Biblical gender roles #2

Ok guys....so I posted this topic before on this forum a few weeks ago and I got quite a few responses. Anyway, I'm posting this again because I wanted to offer my own new questions and perspectives and I wanted to know what you guys thought. Anyway, I feel like god is calling me to help others. I find the topic of mental health and brain chemistry interesting and I kind of wanted to become a phyciatrist because I feel like I would be able to sympathize with the patients (I struggled with depression). However, I have read many christian articals that beleive the woman's main role is to stay at home and take care of kids because they are supposedly better nurturers than men. They have also said that women are emotional and wouldn't be suited for these roles. However, if I'm just going off of what these articals say about woman it would seem like woman allegedly being natural nurturers would be all the reason to encourage woman to be doctors ( such as a phyciatrist) since this profession requires you to be some what caring and NURTURING towards their patients.
The other question I have is what is the biblical view of feminity and masculinity? I watched youtube videos that try to teach you how to be more feminine but I find that alot of times the advice applies to both genders for example: a youtubers mentioned that it wasn't lady like to talk with your mouth full on a first date or be rude to the waiter but to me you shouldn't do those things not because it isnt "unfeminine" but because it's just rude. If I went out on a first date and a guy did this I wouldn't be too impressed. Anyway, I do acknowledge that there are differences to men and woman. I just dont know what. I also do admit that I probably am biased. If you disagree with anything I said, please respectfully tell me. I also wanted to say that if you aspire to be a stay at home mom and have kids that is perfectly ok. As a matter of fact I want a husband and kids too!! I'm not anti family or anything. Just want to also be a doctor. Stay at home moms and career women both have purposes to fulfill and I dont beleive everyone is meant to be the same. Let me know if you agree or disagree with anything I said and respectfully tell me why!!! Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:25 AM

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
However, I have read many christian articals that beleive the woman's main role is to stay at home and take care of kids because they are supposedly better nurturers than men. They have also said that women are emotional and wouldn't be suited for these roles. However, if I'm just going off of what these articals say about woman it would seem like woman allegedly being natural nurturers would be all the reason to encourage woman to be doctors ( such as a phyciatrist) since this profession requires you to be some what caring and NURTURING towards their patients.
Yes you're right, it's quite ironic that they use that line to defend that viewpoint and it reveals an underlying motivation of wanting to control and limit women's potential, whether they are feminine or masculine.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:46 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Titus 2 talks about being keepers at home, the home and your family should be your first priority if you and your husband decide you can juggle being a psychiatrist as well go for it. I think it might be tough though but hey it can happen. As far as masculinity and femininity I would just look up what the bible has to say about biblical womanhood and manhood.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 AM
SAS Member

I think proverbs 31:10-31 is a good example of a woman balancing work and family life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page