Alternative Spiritual Support - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
☆ Moderator ☆

Alternative Spiritual Support

This thread is for anyone who is spiritual but doesn’t feel comfortable posting in the other threads in this section, which mostly support Christianity.

This section isn’t for debate, and neither is this thread. Please respect the views of other members and try not to start any arguments. If you don’t agree with something in this thread or section, then you don’t need to reply to it.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 PM

Language: sarcasm
Oh yay for this!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Permanently Banned

Ok
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:36 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:59 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
Demonstrably false. World is full of a-holes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe everyone has some good in them. Unfortunately, sometimes people show more of the bad.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:58 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8888 View Post
I believe everyone has some good in them.
ok i agree with that.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:48 PM

Language: sarcasm

I just don't get how the position of stars and planets has any relevance to anyone's life. I've heard a couple times recently that some planet is in retrograde.... but why??? Why does that have anything to do with anything. Tell me why the apparent movement of a planet in the sky has anything to do with your personal life.

Sorry. I ***** about Astrology a lot. I think it grinds my gears because I do (or at least used to) find astrology kind of fun. But it got ruined when I realized that people actually believe in this stuff and are extremely serious about it. And these are usually the same people who are pretty critical of blind faith christians? The same type of person who would say a christian person discriminating against a gay person for religious reasons is wrong... but also unfriends people or breaks up with someone as soon as they find out they are a scorpio (being born on a certain time frame is also something you can't control btw) ???? (I'm not trying to trivialize homophobia or say it's ok, I'm just trying to highlight how stupid and hypocritical this type of thinking is)

I also don't get why it's widely accepted that Greek and Roman mythology is BS and obsolete, but somehow the zodiac derivative from the same religion/culture is somehow legit?

Along the same train of thought....

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:03 PM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't think people with drastically different beliefs can really be respectful 100% of the time. Especially when people are saying stuff that seems harmful.

It would probably be better starting a random thought type thread in the debate section though, I've thought about it since I often read stuff but don't want to censor myself writing about it (like a post I ended up making in type what you're thinking about where I created an alternate Bible origin story combining it with Norse mythology and other stuff.) But tbh I can't be bothered making the thread and it would need to be titled in a certain way so it doesn't get confused with other ones.

(Going to avoid quoting another post that's in this thread in case that was seen as insulting even though the psychology/differences in value systems interests me and I was reading about that before ._.)

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:34 PM
Miles 2 go before I sleep

Love this thread. Def needed.

Eta- Did some posts get deleted?

On enhanced mobile I don't receive notifications besides pms. Apologies if I don't respond.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:17 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I don't think people with drastically different beliefs can really be respectful 100% of the time. Especially when people are saying stuff that seems harmful.

It would probably be better starting a random thought type thread in the debate section though, I've thought about it since I often read stuff but don't want to censor myself writing about it (like a post I ended up making in type what you're thinking about where I created an alternate Bible origin story combining it with Norse mythology and other stuff.) But tbh I can't be bothered making the thread and it would need to be titled in a certain way so it doesn't get confused with other ones.

(Going to avoid quoting another post that's in this thread in case that was seen as insulting even though the psychology/differences in value systems interests me and I was reading about that before ._.)
I don't have a problem with it, I've invited religious door knockers into my house out of interest even tho I don't believe in what they're saying. It can be easy to get annoyed online but I still don't talk ****. If you're trying to debate someone than act like a real person and actually say something.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 PM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWater View Post
Love this thread. Def needed.

Eta- Did some posts get deleted?
No not as far as I'm aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
I don't have a problem with it, I've invited religious door knockers into my house out of interest even tho I don't believe in what they're saying. It can be easy to get annoyed online but I still don't talk ****. If you're trying to debate someone than act like a real person and actually say something.
To be honest I'm not really sure what you're saying when you say act like a real person but yeah this section isn't supposed to be for debate I guess. Personally I never really came into this section until this forum got so inactive that I started using new posts and now occasionally end up in here.

edit: I think possibly some people don't realise that this is the non-debate section as well.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:18 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
doesn’t feel comfortable posting in the other threads in this section

this thread isn't looking too much more comfortable than any others so far
Quote:
True words aren't eloquent;
eloquent words aren't true.
Wise men don't need to prove their point;
men who need to prove their point aren't wise.

The Master has no possessions.
The more he does for others,
the happier he is.
The more he gives to others,
the wealthier he is.

The Tao nourishes by not forcing.
By not dominating, the Master leads.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
☆ Moderator ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
I deleted seven posts. Sorry this happened.

This section isn’t for debate, and neither is this thread. Please respect the views of other members and try not to start any arguments. If you don’t agree with something in this thread or section, then you don’t need to reply to it.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:08 AM
SAS Member

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
As a Christian myself, now that there IS a thread like this ...I recognize the inherent Christian bias of this subsection, and how it can seem to exclude those who need spiritual support from a nonChristian basis.

This thread is a good idea.

I remember before this subsection existed "spiritual" threads formed a part of the S & C section and usually devolved into a mess of atheists vs theists.

Now we have an Agnosticism/Atheism section, and a Religion and Spirituality section :-).

All I can say is...just remember folks there are many belief systems out there. It's impossible/impractical/undesireable for the moderators to divide up the spirituality section for every possible belief system ...we don't wanna wind up with a 'ban' on all spiritual discussions altogether, because then everybody loses out.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
Sweet prose!
Posted via Mobile Device
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:09 PM
SAS Member

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:59 AM
涙が唯一の贅沢

Language: 中国語
I like the concept of Negative Spirituality - the rejection of religion as a form of religion in itself, or at least a means to fulfil common spiritual needs. Most of the online resources if you search this term seem to be about low self-esteem/depression caused by 'God' rejecting or disowning you because you committed some kind of 'sin', which is a very narrow way of looking at it. The fixation of some common religions - I won't name them - on 'positivity' is positively irksome. I don't think negativity is bad, necessarily; I don't think it's a duality or a dichotomy. You start out from one end, the positive end because it's what first appeals to you, and then you work your way towards the other - or in any direction you wish; blank canvas. I wonder what happens at the end when you've run the gamut and come full circle back where you started: do you find God?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page