Your Boss Is Angry At You. WDYD? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: What to do when your boss is angry at you?
Start apologising immediately 4 13.79%
Get angry back 4 13.79%
Just sit and take it 11 37.93%
Other (state in thread) 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Question

Your Boss Is Angry At You. WDYD?

Occasionally my bosses get angry at me. Usually it doesnt happen much because I'm a people pleaser af.

Usually when they get pissed off at me for whatever reason I usually feel their reasons are unjustified so I don't apologise. I sit and take it in and just say "ok then -shrug-" so I guess you could say I go for the meh response.

I don't feel like work matters are worth getting angry or in a dispute about.

If whatever happened was definitely my fault and was to do with my shortcomings as a person them I might apologise, but usually it's to do with the system and the way the establishment is run and not me as a person so I don't apologise. And that might be biased towards me but I'm an unapologetic person and find it hard to apologise for things like work matters so yeah.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
It depends on what they are angry towards me for, if it was something that was definitely my fault then yeah I would apologize about it. However if they are having a bad day and being pissy towards everyone I try to avoid them so I don't have to deal with that. I really don't like conflict and try to get along, however If their anger is directed towards me and unreasonable I have no problem telling them off.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 02:38 AM
Temporarily Banned

I wouldn't handle that well at all. I'd get much angrier than he did and probably want to hurt him.

Hence, why I don't work at the moment. (one of the reasons anyway)

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 03:44 AM
Cooked.

Highly situational.

It's okay for someone to BE angry/frustrated, but if they raise their voice or belittle you it's time to tell them to **** off. Then again, if the job pays well and/or your options are limited, it might be wise to take it on the chin.

The world is not my home. I'm just passing through.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'm usually quiet till I can't be, which in the past was far too long, I'm fairly docile in work environments, anybody pushes me to far ain't worth my time.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Temporarily Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
Angry boss, usually means a bad boss. A good boss can normally approach most situations without having to get angry, and to resolve the situation.
I'd just let the matter pass, and if they continued to be angry (as in a bullying manner) I'd report them to HR and look for another job/team.
I think this is an excellent answer.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Ai
404 Not Found

I just continue to do my job.

My boss is always angry at me about something.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'd smosh his turtles.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 03:13 PM
Gangsta Crayon

I guess I'll just have to deal with it. My boss gets grumpy a lot but then she's lenient at times. If I was getting yelled at, I wouldn't take that, though. I have had my boss yell at me cause I was asking her something while she was talking to another coworker. Didn't like that at all.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 09:30 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
If they yell at you, they aren't being professional. I had one boss that would raise his voice occasionally at various people. Not everyday but once every few months. He just seemed to be really moody. One day he'd be full of compliments, want to shoot the breeze, tell me to go home at 5pm (or earlier if it was a Friday). Other days he was in a foul mood from the get-go. I'd avoid him on his bad days. I don't know if something was happening in his personal life or what. The few times he raised his voice at me, I didn't really apologize. I don't recall doing anything quite that bad to make someone raise their voice at me. Maybe only a minor error.

In general, I'd say just hope/pray that your supervisor's life is going well. When people's lives are not going well, they tend to take it out on their coworkers.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 08:43 PM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
On occasion Iíll try to explain my actions, but usually I just nod and agree to do what they say the way they want it done even if I think itís stupid...not worth the headache to challenge them
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:24 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I usually just quit if the boss is ill-tempered and I don't like the job. If I did something wrong I'll probably apologize, if it is just blowing off steam I'll deal with it unless it is excessive, in which case I would just find another job. I'm done with working now though, so I don't have to deal with that crap anymore, thankfully. Most of my bosses were okay, so it is not something I had to deal with often. I would say my last boss was the worst, she got fired though I had to leave that job before she was though.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Permanently Banned

Hi! Interesting question but I don't have a job now Can you share some tips for resume writing? I need to create good sample for me. I think about online help, for example I didn't find some resumewriters.com complaints. Is it good idea to use such service, how do you think?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:31 AM
SAS Member

It would depend on the reason for their anger and how they communicate the issue to me. I would never respond with profanity or anger but I would not kowtow to them if they are unreasonable and in the wrong. I'm aware that having such a minimal level of self-respect won't get me anywhere in most corporate environments.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 03:44 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
I'm pretty used to this. Usually because of me not being extroverted enough. I avoid them until they get over it. If it's something legit they can write me up.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 05:22 AM
late bloomer

Language: Tagalog, English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Highly situational.

It's okay for someone to BE angry/frustrated, but if they raise their voice or belittle you it's time to tell them to **** off. Then again, if the job pays well and/or your options are limited, it might be wise to take it on the chin.
X2
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 03:28 PM
anxiolytic

Language: 'Merican
I'm perfectly willing to get paid far less to be treated better so he doesn't even have any leverage. I'd probably stand back, ask if he's going to fire me, then go back to doing my job. What do I care? If they fire me I'll be collecting a nice unemployment check from them and find a different job anyway.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 06:44 PM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Nod and agree in a neutral almost nonchalant way. Don't let them get the idea that their chiding is actually getting to you. Don't give them any more satisfaction than "ok, yes. Ok" Don't attempt to disagree or argue your point. its not that fuc+ing important. They'll move onto the next minion to needlessly chide soon enough. That only makes it look as if they're getting to and you're trying to defend yourself thereby making them know they're making you feel bad. And if you have the boss that enjoys chiding people, that makes my point all the more valid if you begin to look flustered defending yourself . Having an emotionless response on your part denies them the satisfaction of seeing to be upsetting you or limiting their feelings of apparent superiority. Don't feed them. Also, trying to argue you're right (even if you really are) only prolongs the conversation and makes closure of tension longer to reach.

Just say ok or whatever . This lets them think they're right whilst also cutting much shorter any conversation. It also gives them less ammo to fire back at you when they predictably continue to disagree with you thinking they're right.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear.
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 08:34 PM
SAS Member

Language: el lughat el 3rabiya (Masr+Fus7a) wal lughat el ingliziya
It depends on the reasoning.

I royally f-cked up? Listen, be reasonable, and own up to it.

Accusing me of something that I didn't do? Stand my ground.

Having a bad day or simply letting your "personal" frustrations out on me? Typically a snarky response. I've had professors like that too. Same reaction.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:53 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Just sit and take it.

As long as I have been with the company, I know how the managers operate.

The more I go into my career, the more disappointed I am what I see.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page