Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? (you can select multiple options)
I'd join a therapy group run by a psycologist or therapist (pay per session) 293 20.04%
I'd join a peer-to-peer therapy group based on commonly used CBT for social anxiety disorder (free except for CBT materials) 455 31.12%
I'd join a social group that focuses on doing social activities (free except for any activities done) 638 43.64%
I'd like to join a group, but think I would be too anxious to join one 565 38.65%
There are already group(s) in my area and I've attended one 76 5.20%
There are already group(s) in my area and I haven't attended one 106 7.25%
I have no interest in joining a group of any kind 208 14.23%
Other (include your comments in a reply post) 40 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1462. You may not vote on this poll

post #41 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 PM
SAS Member

I'd join a group if there was one feasible for me to go to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
giggling ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Was that message displayed to you when you tried to vote?
Oh, no.

No.

blessed are they who bash your children's heads against a (punk) rock
post #43 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmorning View Post
So maybe something like an art class or music lessons for those with SA. People could show up and you wouldn't have to talk or feel weird about silence. The focus would be on painting or whatever and not socializing or even therapy. We could try to find what skills some of us have to share. I have no idea how this would work in practice though.
I like the idea in theory, but there wouldn't be enough people in most areas to split into interest-based groups, and there's no common interest you can count on.

An alternate idea I've had is an SA meetup group where people find another member or two who's interested in attending the same other-topiced meetup group. For example, I don't have the nerve to join a hiking group or a writers group on meetup... but if I knew I wouldn't be the only antisocial freak attending, that could make it less threatening and more possible.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut

post #44 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
SAS Member

I'd possibly join one run by a therapist.
post #45 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Comfortably Numb

I'm trying to form one right now here in Philly;so far I think their is 3 including me.I hope more SA's from the area join.I heard some south Jersey SA's would be interested.If anyone is interested let me know.
post #46 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM

I joined a group but found it had no structure in meetings and most times only 2 people would show up, sometimes less. Half the time we would talk about the same things weekly, i found it really unhelpful and stopped going after 3 weeks. I wish we had a group run by a therapist.
post #47 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
User Requested Ban - Permanent

No. But maybe if it was very far from my area and I had the gas money to go there, lol.
post #48 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
SAS Membr

I would love to join a social group I need to get out more and start meeting new people.
post #49 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:50 AM
SAS Member

Imagining everyone being nervously getting
ready for the group meeting might make me feel better about it.

I would like to go to a group meeting but..obviously thats
scary.
post #50 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Done with SA

If there are some in my area, I haven't found them, though I have heard there are some.
I'd go to one if it was interesting enough and I could work up the nerve to go.
post #51 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmorning View Post
I remember reading someone who described an SA meeting he went to and felt terrible afterward because the other SAers managed to talk to each other but he couldn't. So it was even worse then feeling left out of a regular group.
That's probably the only reason that would make me hesitate from going to an SA meetup. I'm used to being left out and feeling like the outcast around outgoing people but if those with SA managed to end up talking to each other and I couldn't do it...?

I'd feel like a lost cause.

Then again, perhaps repeatedly attending the group and knowing they have all had various degrees of the disorder would help me to take one step forward.
post #52 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:40 PM
SAS Member

No, I wouldn't. It sounds too scary. If others started making great progress and I fell behind, I'd be really embarrassed about it.
post #53 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM
SAS Member

i would definatly
post #54 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 AM
SAS Member

Im in a anxiety CBT group right now run by 2 clinical psychologists . Im the only one with social anxiety, and the others all have general anxiety. I was so anxious during my first session, and everyone was so chatty and talking non stop. I didnt really want to go back but forced myself.

Its been really good despite being the only one with SA. We have to break up into pairs various times throughout the session and complete exercises. Each week they increase the amount of exposure and during my last session we had to have a one on one conversation with everyone in the room. I have 5 more sessions left.
post #55 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM
jer
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
One example of things that will be available is searching by zip code to find groups and people interested in starting/joining groups within XX miles of you.
This was exactly something I was thinking about.

We could add 4 items in peoples profiles -

1. ask them if they are interested in meeting with other folks in their area
2. Have them input their zip code
3. ask them how far they are willing to travel.
4. ask them what type of meetings they like to have (fun filled atmosphere versus quiet/relaxed atmosphere)

What I hope to achieve out it is that I can discuss my SA issues with somebody who is going through the same issues.
Also I dont have to pay for it (one time I paid a psychologist out of pocket for every session and got nothing out of it - so I am not too inclined to have a paid professional involved)
Thirdly I hope to make friends with somebody so I dont have to live my life like a hermit.

btw - I chose "other" in the poll
post #56 of 281 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Charlotte Introvert

There are a couple good ones in Virginia that are really willing to help out members anonymously. I am a member to the Northern VA group on meetup.

The Strong Silent Type (Eric)
Social Anxiety on G+ Social Anxiety in Charlotte
post #57 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM
In My World

There are already group(s) in my area and I haven't attended one

Everything happens for a reason
post #58 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:02 PM

As far as I know there are none in my area. I would say yes, Id join one, but then probably think about it for 6 months first.
post #59 of 281 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

With myself having SA for over 35 years. Social Anxiety/Phobia has got to be the hardest diagnosis to get a group started. In order to get n e group started u need people, more thn 3 people, but if u fear being around others and even those u do know have the same SA as u, there is no way a group can continue.
post #60 of 281 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM
SAS Member

I'd like to join a group, but think I would be too anxious to join one. I don't want folks to note me in that way and give me those wired looks where ever I go

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page