Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? (you can select multiple options)
I'd join a therapy group run by a psycologist or therapist (pay per session) 293 20.04%
I'd join a peer-to-peer therapy group based on commonly used CBT for social anxiety disorder (free except for CBT materials) 455 31.12%
I'd join a social group that focuses on doing social activities (free except for any activities done) 638 43.64%
I'd like to join a group, but think I would be too anxious to join one 565 38.65%
There are already group(s) in my area and I've attended one 76 5.20%
There are already group(s) in my area and I haven't attended one 106 7.25%
I have no interest in joining a group of any kind 208 14.23%
Other (include your comments in a reply post) 40 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1462. You may not vote on this poll

post #21 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Aspergian

I don't know if there are any SA groups in my area, there probably are since I live in a city. I've been asked by my counselor if I wanted to join a group but so far have yet to find any that sounded interesting to me. I'd most likely join an SA group if I found one nearby.

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Permanently Banned

I'd be willing to meet others in my area with SA. In fact, I've met 5 SAS members in person.

Problem with SA meetings is that the people who attend them (or rather don't attend) have SA. Someone who lives in Madison tried to find people early this year who'd want to get together somewhere in Wisconsin, with the idea of meeting in Madison, Milwaukee or anywhere in the 75 miles between. She gave up, describing it as "like trying round up a herd of cats". I can certainly understand her frustration and eventual giving up. It's hard as hell to pry those with SA out of their home and into a gathering. When I met with 4 other SAS members back 3 years ago I ended up being more talkative than most of them. You know there's a problem when I seem like the talkative one.
post #23 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
I would join a group that was started by others with SA. I would probably be willing to pay if it wasn't too pricy

post #24 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 PM
dax
Losing Ground

There is a group in my area and I am planning on going to one of their meetings to check it out.

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
post #25 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
bk
SAS Member

I was in a therapist run CBT group for awhile, but I dropped out because I love quitting things. I would probably be willing to try something like that in the future. I would also be willing to meet people from this site for social activities or even CBT if that was the only option. I have met someone off of this site in person.
post #26 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I'd be willing to meet others in my area with SA. In fact, I've met 5 SAS members in person.

Problem with SA meetings is that the people who attend them (or rather don't attend) have SA. Someone who lives in Madison tried to find people early this year who'd want to get together somewhere in Wisconsin, with the idea of meeting in Madison, Milwaukee or anywhere in the 75 miles between. She gave up, describing it as "like trying round up a herd of cats". I can certainly understand her frustration and eventual giving up. It's hard as hell to pry those with SA out of their home and into a gathering. When I met with 4 other SAS members back 3 years ago I ended up being more talkative than most of them. You know there's a problem when I seem like the talkative one.
That's why there should be furry serene animals at every gathering, along with food, music, and amusement rides or volleyball or minigolf or water polo. Okay maybe just the animals.
post #27 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:59 PM
SAS Member

I signed up for an SA group on meetup.com in Raleigh. I've never been though.
post #28 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
untitled document

Language: None
I go to SA groups, embarrass myself or otherwise decide I can't return, avoid seeing those people ever again, and find another group to go to. Ready to repeat the process whenever a new group is available.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #29 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
SAS Member

Although I'd like to go to one, my awkwardness would weird people out so nyet to attending one.
post #30 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post

I think he means a more structured setting or maybe I am reading it wrong? At least you live in an area where these things are possible. I live in the boondocks of middle America so its not even a possibility for me.
post #31 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Beyond the "Groups" functionality currently available on the forums, we are considering introducing a separate section of the site specifically for forming groups (social, peer to peer and therapist)

Are there any features or functionality that you think would make it easier to form, organize, and keep a group going (for any of the three types of groups)? Any suggestions are welcome!

One example of things that will be available is searching by zip code to find groups and people interested in starting/joining groups within XX miles of you.

Thanks!
post #32 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
∑∑∑---∑∑∑

I was thinking maybe we could have a social anxiety group that isn't about socializing or therapy, per se. While we all know we each have SA and that silence is acceptable, we still feel weird about saying nothing when we meet. And the possibility of any awkwardness is enough to deter some from going. I remember reading someone who described an SA meeting he went to and felt terrible afterward because the other SAers managed to talk to each other but he couldn't. So it was even worse then feeling left out of a regular group.

So maybe something like an art class or music lessons for those with SA. People could show up and you wouldn't have to talk or feel weird about silence. The focus would be on painting or whatever and not socializing or even therapy. We could try to find what skills some of us have to share. I have no idea how this would work in practice though.
post #33 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Sounds like an interesting idea. I would think about going to one if I could control the anticipatory anxiety.
post #34 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCL XI View Post
There's at least one in my area. I have no interest currently.

I've never been to one, but I imagine that's exactly how it would turn out for me. A local group's activities were rather summercamp-y, which would've been pure torture for me. Stuff like skating rinks, arcades, amusement parks, tourist spots, etc. I'm not into that stuff at all, so it wouldn't matter who I'm there with.

If anyone wants to start an SA street gang though, PM me.

Haha, I'm all for it.

Just as long as I don't have to dress like the people in your pic

As for the poll, I'd do any of the first three. I was in a general therapy group, so I know I can get myself to go. The social activities choice is especially appealing. One thing that bummed me about group therapy is that you get to know people who are dealing with the same things you are, but you can't hang out with them. No subgrouping :-(
post #35 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM
blessed with lucky sevens

I would push myself to go
post #36 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
SAS Member

First three here. I don't know of any groups in my area though. D:

"Life is waiting for you, it's all messed up, but we'll survive."
post #37 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM
SAS Member

I'd like to join a group, but think I would be too anxious to join one.
post #38 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:18 PM
giggling ******

"Please try again later"

blessed are they who bash your children's heads against a (punk) rock
post #39 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurochrome View Post
"Please try again later"
Was that message displayed to you when you tried to vote?
post #40 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
MayTheForceBeWithYou

I have gone to several meetups with my group. It has been a great and wonderful experience for me, and I say signing up is good, but until you have gone to a support group that has people that truly care is a plus.

for those who are on a meetup.com group, and just havent gone yet, i'd say push yourself to go ( yah yeah i know easy to say that do ), but hey If i can go to one, you can too. get your courage up, and try not to think of anxiety.

" You were deceived. And now, your Republic shall fall. "

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page