Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? - Page 11 - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? (you can select multiple options)
I'd join a therapy group run by a psycologist or therapist (pay per session) 293 20.04%
I'd join a peer-to-peer therapy group based on commonly used CBT for social anxiety disorder (free except for CBT materials) 455 31.12%
I'd join a social group that focuses on doing social activities (free except for any activities done) 638 43.64%
I'd like to join a group, but think I would be too anxious to join one 565 38.65%
There are already group(s) in my area and I've attended one 76 5.20%
There are already group(s) in my area and I haven't attended one 106 7.25%
I have no interest in joining a group of any kind 208 14.23%
Other (include your comments in a reply post) 40 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1462. You may not vote on this poll

post #201 of 281 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:07 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
A lot of support groups are more about socializing and not about therapy.
Plus, in this case socializing is therapy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 281 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I haven't looked for any in my area, but I would definitely attend if it was more about socializing than sit-down, structured therapy. Would be cool if the group had people around my age as well.
post #203 of 281 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Pemi

Something like that would be so helpful. I'm already seeing a therapist and a psych dr, but it's not really helping much, and I feel like I'm wasting my mother's money. I hope after a while I'll feel comfortable enough to actually get what I want out of therapy, and then maybe even find some meds that help. I'm trying to get into this program that's kind of like a partial hospitalization in that we do groups and see a doctor every day, but it's only for about 3-4 hours a day. It's for anyone. I hope I get to join it soon.

Failure is a stepping stone to success

post #204 of 281 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Putting the SAS in sass

I picked "too anxious to join one." I'd be scared I'd go to a support group only to find that everyone there has worse problems than me, and that I've just been exaggerating my own anxiety the whole time.
post #205 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 03:27 PM
SAS Member

If there were one in eastern NY or south western Vermont hell yes.
post #206 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 12:50 PM
The Harbinger

I'd love to join one, knowing that everyone is in more or less the same situation I am. There aren't any nearby at this time, though.

EXODUS

"From Greek exodos "a military expedition; a solemn procession; departure; death," literally "a going out," from ex- "out" + hodos "way". General sense (with lower-case -e-) is from 1620s."

Please quote my posts, or I will likely not reply.
post #207 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Orange Alert

My Mood: Worried
Right now, I wouldn't. I find my own ways to cope (or more likely, maladapt) when it comes to psychological difficulties. But if I ran into a hurdle and found I needed support, I'd consider it. Might even be a place to get to know similar people so I'm not against it.
post #208 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:23 PM
#_#

I think I would want to join one, but there aren't any nearby. The closest ones are in L.A. which is about 30-60min away (traffic).
post #209 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM
SAS Member

They don't have such a thing in these rural parts, but anyways, listening to people whinge and dumping my problems on others has never been a fond activity of mine. If they are all like the movies where every body sits in a circle and holds hands and sings kumbaya and all that ****.
post #210 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:42 PM
SAS Member

I have tried meetup.com and we do have an Anxiety group in Florida, but it is too far for me. Plus, most of the members are in their 30s. I would like it to be a nearby group with people in their 20s. I know New York has a big SA group. Those lucky b4st4rds
post #211 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 PM
SAS Member

no because I hate hugging
post #212 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 AM
cak
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
I would love to join one, but I'd have so much anxiety about it, I'd probably back out.

There's a lot behind my smile that you just don't know. All you really know is what I choose to show.
post #213 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
I know people have different levels of social anxiety but to me it looked like most of the people didn't have anxieties at all. I felt like an outcast. That makes it difficult to open up or start conversations. I don't know what to do anymore. Its just depressing.
post #214 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 06:08 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualkeirockstar View Post
I know people have different levels of social anxiety but to me it looked like most of the people didn't have anxieties at all. I felt like an outcast. That makes it difficult to open up or start conversations. I don't know what to do anymore. Its just depressing.
People often look like they don't have social anxiety, because it's not a visible thing, it's an internal experience. I'm not so bad with the group now, partly due to plowing through more than 70 regular meetups over 4 years and partly thanks to the one person I managed to connect with, but I still have some awkward times where I feel like the outcast. And if you take me outside the group, well, I haven't a clue how to react when a neighbor says "hi" or how to talk to the other 7 billion people.

Sometimes you'll feel like the outcast more in an SA group because everyone else is too anxious or conversationally-unskilled to initiate with you. That happens especially at hikes and event-type meetups, I've noticed people stick to those they know at those. You might prefer our more formal monthly SA discussion groups, or a game night... those are more inclusive than other activities.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #215 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
People often look like they don't have social anxiety, because it's not a visible thing, it's an internal experience. I'm not so bad with the group now, partly due to plowing through more than 70 regular meetups over 4 years and partly thanks to the one person I managed to connect with, but I still have some awkward times where I feel like the outcast. And if you take me outside the group, well, I haven't a clue how to react when a neighbor says "hi" or how to talk to the other 7 billion people.

Sometimes you'll feel like the outcast more in an SA group because everyone else is too anxious or conversationally-unskilled to initiate with you. That happens especially at hikes and event-type meetups, I've noticed people stick to those they know at those. You might prefer our more formal monthly SA discussion groups, or a game night... those are more inclusive than other activities.
Thanks. I guess ill keep trying.
post #216 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:47 PM
SAS Member

I'd join one that focuses on doing social activities. I find that doing activities takes off the pressure from having to socialize because you already have something to talk about.
post #217 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM
green and blue

I've been thinking about joining one recently. I've just got to actually find one, and hope its close enough to me, that is if I go through with it.
post #218 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 PM
SAS Member

been in so many therapy groups already
and exept for the sexual abuse therapy group the other over 6 never helped
i think that one was the easiest to ''cure'' since it was a trauma..
whatever it is what i have now...im 100% its incurable so no.
post #219 of 281 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Permanently Banned

I'm allergic to humans. Dogs or cats are the only ones I socialize with.
post #220 of 281 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 PM
SAS Member

no i don't like the whole support group type thing where we discuss our "feelings"

keep fighting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page