Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Would you join a social anxiety group in your area? (you can select multiple options)
I'd join a therapy group run by a psycologist or therapist (pay per session) 293 20.04%
I'd join a peer-to-peer therapy group based on commonly used CBT for social anxiety disorder (free except for CBT materials) 455 31.12%
I'd join a social group that focuses on doing social activities (free except for any activities done) 638 43.64%
I'd like to join a group, but think I would be too anxious to join one 565 38.65%
There are already group(s) in my area and I've attended one 76 5.20%
There are already group(s) in my area and I haven't attended one 106 7.25%
I have no interest in joining a group of any kind 208 14.23%
Other (include your comments in a reply post) 40 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1462. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Arrow

Would you join a social anxiety group in your area?

One common complaint we've seen is a lack of groups and we're considering ways of addressing this.

Please share your thoughts. It would be very much appreciated!

Update: May 15th, 2012

Would you be willing to share your thoughts on online social anxiety groups? Maybe even test out a group later (if you're comfortable)?

If so, please contact me at [email protected]. No pressure. I'd just want to ask you a few questions to get your opinions. It wouldn't require any commitment from you and your feedback would be about the idea, not about you personally or me personally. I wouldn't take any negative feedback personally. I hope to hear from you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
SAS Member

I started a meetup.com group in my area, but it hasn't gotten enough people to be functional yet...I don't live in a major city. I do go to social anxiety meetups in St. Paul occasionally.
post #3 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain5 View Post
I started a meetup.com group in my area, but it hasn't gotten enough people to be functional yet...I don't live in a major city. I do go to social anxiety meetups in St. Paul occasionally.
Do you have to pay for a Meetup group that isn't yet active?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

post #4 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM
In 'da 707

The first 3
post #5 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
SAS Member

Yes, if you initiate a group on meetup.com, there is a fee involved. I paid for 6 months and I'll probably have to renew soon. There was a 50% off deal going on when I signed up.

I'm not sure what the current prices are, but it's easy enough to make a test group for yourself and see what they're charging.
post #6 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 PM

I asked my psychiatrist if she knew of any strictly social anxiety group at the hospital I go to once every 3 months and she said there isn't. I never knew finding a social anxiety group would be so difficult! And I live in a big big big city!
post #7 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 AM
R.I.P. Do not contact.

There's at least one in my area. I have no interest currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan Pehechaan Ho View Post
I have been to a SA group gathering and didn't like it. It actually made my SA worse because I didn't know how to act around other people with SA. I was so quiet that even people with SA thought I was weird. You would think you will feel better because you are around people with the same problem, but it's not any easier - it's just like meeting "normal" people.
I've never been to one, but I imagine that's exactly how it would turn out for me. A local group's activities were rather summercamp-y, which would've been pure torture for me. Stuff like skating rinks, arcades, amusement parks, tourist spots, etc. I'm not into that stuff at all, so it wouldn't matter who I'm there with.

If anyone wants to start an SA street gang though, PM me.

post #8 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
SAS Member

I'm not really sure. I think I could possibly go to one meeting and see how it goes from there... But considering that probably nobody in this city has heard of the term "SA," that won't be happening any time soon
post #9 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerMinnow84 View Post
I asked my psychiatrist if she knew of any strictly social anxiety group at the hospital I go to once every 3 months and she said there isn't. I never knew finding a social anxiety group would be so difficult! And I live in a big big big city!
Yah, and I know therapists who have the problem of filling groups that they want to start. We are going to work on bridging that gap.

Many thanks to everyone who has voted and/or shared their thoughts and experiences.
post #10 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 AM
SAS Member

I went to a couple social anxiety meetups soon after I moved here six months ago, but haven't gone to any since.
post #11 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM
She-Wolf

i guess you mean for therapy and not just the socializing?

i did a group for social anxiety - it costs money because it was run by two psychologist, but it was a bit helpful. we did CBT type work in the open and would set goals for ourselves and did exposure within the group (which was prob most helpful, since it was forced). i don't know how all of the groups work but i'd definitely recommend it to anyone who has the chance.
i'm also doing it again, but this time it is for a research study which is cool and since i'm a volunteer it is for free
post #12 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing to fear View Post
We foresee three types of groups:
1) therapy run by therapists
2) therapy peer-to-peer (because some people insurance won't cover group therapy and/or they just can't afford it)
3) social groups to just get together and do fun stuff together (or volunteer!)
post #13 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCL XI View Post

Haha. Count me in dude .
post #14 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCL XI View Post
Hmm, maybe we could consider that as a group type as well
post #15 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
SAS Member

At this stage, I really doubt I could find the courage. Though it's certainly something to consider for the future, if other things I'm trying at the moment don't work out.
post #16 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Chimpoleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing to fear View Post

i did a group for social anxiety - it costs money because it was run by two psychologist, but it was a bit helpful. we did CBT type work in the open and would set goals for ourselves and did exposure within the group (which was prob most helpful, since it was forced). i don't know how all of the groups work but i'd definitely recommend it to anyone who has the chance.
i'm also doing it again, but this time it is for a research study which is cool and since i'm a volunteer it is for free
Hey is there any spots still left for that group? or it is currently ongoing -- pm or text/call whatever

Thanks
post #17 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM
MayTheForceBeWithYou

I already belong to a good social anxiety group in my area

" You were deceived. And now, your Republic shall fall. "
post #18 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Suit up!

My psychologist said that they used to have a group thing offered at the counseling center, but it wasn't specifically social anxiety. She said if she can get enough people that actually have social anxiety to want to do it, then she might get one started, but I'm still not sure if I'd be able to make myself go.

I also went to that meetup.com website and joined the group for social anxiety in my area, but I haven't gone to a single meeting. Everyone in it is much older than me so I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable.

sometimes even to live is an act of courage
post #19 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic View Post
Everyone in it is much older than me so I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable.
Hey, it's a social meeting for the socially anxious. Nobody's comfortable!
post #20 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
SAS Member

There is an SA support group 2 hours from where I live. I have thought about making it there but have not. I did do the phone group thing though but did not like it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page