Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Voting Booth (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f36/)
-   -   Which Vegetable Do You Like The Least? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f36/which-vegetable-do-you-like-the-least-2223749/)

WillYouStopDave 05-24-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaStrange (Post 1093725785)
Why not? :lol

There is not an official reason so I'll make one up. Because I said so. 0:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suchness (Post 1093725791)
Wonder if they ate radishes on the Titanic, maybe that's what threw them off.

If they ate cabbage on the Titanic, that might have given them so much flatulence that they flew off the deck like an over inflated balloon that was let go before the knot was tied.

rabidfoxes 05-25-2019 05:16 AM

From the above list, pumpkin. It's a bit too sweet for my liking, but I can enjoy it on some occasions (say, if it's cubed quite finely and then roasted until crispy and caramelised).

Celery is also awful but I'll let it off because it's useful in a lot of things, such as stocks or battuto, and can be nice if charred.

I eat most vegetables, but my no.1 vegetable enemy is swede. To me, it tastes mildly alcoholic, like vegetables that are starting to putrify. Swede is probably the only vegetable I don't eat. No amount of butter can redeem it.

WillYouStopDave 05-26-2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidfoxes (Post 1093726029)
Swede is probably the only vegetable I don't eat. No amount of butter can redeem it.

:lol

komorikun 05-27-2019 01:50 AM

Had a whole bunch of asparagus an hour or so ago. Man, asparagus pee is almost as impressive as brussels sprout farts.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/wp-con...riz-a-2000.jpg

WillYouStopDave 05-27-2019 02:43 AM

@komorikun

I love asparagus. It's kind of a pain to buy and store and prepare though. It's kind of expensive. It's kind of a delicacy.

harrison 05-27-2019 03:50 AM

I think out of that list squash are sort of a nothing flavour - they seem to be mostly water. A bit like zucchini. I used to put some zucchini in my pasta sauce sometimes but don't bother anymore. Don't really like it.

Swedes and turnips used to be used more ages ago - my Mum used to use them in casseroles I think. She used to make an incredible one with braised lamb chops and dumplings for my father. It was great. The older generation often knew how to cook things to make them taste better - they had to learn how to make do.

discopotato 05-27-2019 04:31 AM

Peas is the only thing I can't stand

WillYouStopDave 05-27-2019 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discopotato (Post 1093727597)
Peas is the only thing I can't stand

What actually is a disco potato? I'm assuming you're a fan of potatoes? :lol

discopotato 05-27-2019 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1093727599)
What actually is a disco potato? I'm assuming you're a fan of potatoes? :lol

http://i.imgur.com/l92VRJS.jpg

I randomly came across this picture and voila! discopotato was born :b but yeahh potatoes are yummy :yes

rabidfoxes 05-27-2019 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093727577)
The older generation often knew how to cook things to make them taste better - they had to learn how to make do.

Or maybe there was more of "eat, shut up and be grateful"? :D

I've had cookbooks dating from XIX c. to 70s and a lot of the recipes were very, very risky. Jelly moulds of pureed celery and the like. Intriguing, but vile!

Silent Memory 05-27-2019 05:34 AM

I was reading about tofu before because I wanted to know what it tasted like, and it said itís a vegetable. I never knew that. You can eat it in a lot of different ways. Maybe Iíll get some next time we go shopping. :)

WillYouStopDave 05-27-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Memory (Post 1093727629)
I was reading about tofu before because I wanted to know what it tasted like, and it said it’s a vegetable. I never knew that. You can eat it in a lot of different ways. Maybe I’ll get some next time we go shopping. :)

Tofu is great. You can do all sorts of things with it but I usually make it into a paste and mix it with protein powder and chia seeds. A lot of people fry it or whatever but you don't actually have to cook it. It's perfectly safe to eat it raw. Though if you do eat it without anything else, it kind of tastes like you're eating soy milk. :lol

harrison 05-27-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidfoxes (Post 1093727617)
Or maybe there was more of "eat, shut up and be grateful"? :D

I've had cookbooks dating from XIX c. to 70s and a lot of the recipes were very, very risky. Jelly moulds of pureed celery and the like. Intriguing, but vile!

I had a feeling that might get a rise out of one or two of you. :)

(can't get away with anything on this bloody forum) :roll (j/k)

My Mum was a great cook but I do know what you're talking about.

Lonelyguy 05-27-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1093727541)
@komorikun

I love asparagus. It's kind of a pain to buy and store and prepare though. It's kind of expensive. It's kind of a delicacy.

My mom has a bunch of it growing in her garden. It comes back on its own every year and has for as long as I can remember. Neither me or her eat it, but my sister eats it like candy and takes bags full of it every spring. I can't stand the taste or smell of it.

Evo1114 05-27-2019 03:26 PM

From the list, I guess radishes would be the worst...though none of them on the list are too bad. I find peas to be pretty useless also. Regular tomatoes are fine, but damn, the cherry tomatoes that people somehow enjoy are hideously awful. A lot of stuff isn't that great on their own (like raw onions), but are just fine when mixed with stuff. (Which is why nobody sits down with a fork and knife and enjoys a raw onion for a snack). Asparagus and sweet potato are easily the best. My coworker friend's family has a massive asparagus field that they manage and every day, all summer, she brings in freshly picked asparagus. I eat that **** raw. It is certainly great cooked with like Parmesan cheese, but nothing wrong at all with eating it raw. Asparagus pee is definitely fun.

WillYouStopDave 05-27-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonelyguy (Post 1093727889)
My mom has a bunch of it growing in her garden. It comes back on its own every year and has for as long as I can remember. Neither me or her eat it, but my sister eats it like candy and takes bags full of it every spring. I can't stand the taste or smell of it.

Does she freeze it or something? Even though I like it a lot it often goes bad before I can eat it when I buy it.

slyfox 05-28-2019 12:24 AM

Not on the list, but I don't like sweet potatoes/yams.

Canned spinach I tried tasted nasty but raw in small amounts is ok.

Don't like boiled or microwaved broccoli. Tastes better raw or baked.

Pumpkin pie is good, but wasn't a fan of pumpkin when I tried it stir-fried or raw. Maybe I picked a bad variety though.

I don't think I like squash.

Not sure of kale or parsnips. Could picture them being ok at least in raw form.

slyfox 05-28-2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1093727541)
@komorikun

The asparagus in my garden started coming up a little over a week ago. Haven't been getting a ton but what I get I cook in butter and top pasta with. I like that it is a perennial, but you can only harvest it for a short time each year and then it takes up a good amount of space. Feel tempted to replace it with something else(blueberries, more raspberries, or some annual that will produce for longer or that can be replanted for multiple harvests), but feel bad with the time I have invested in the asparagus(about 3 years) because it takes a couple years for the plants to mature enough to produce big enough edible stalks. For now I'll probably keep it because I'd like to have a perennial veg/fruit garden with a lot of variety.

If you don't have room to grow asparagus it grows wild in a lot of places. Have never collected wild asparagus because I never find it at the right time of year. If you find it you can make note of it for the next year though. It likes places like ditches, the side of the road, and the edges of farm fields. Have been tempted to try to hunt some but have been busy with other things.

Shadowweaver 05-28-2019 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evo1114 (Post 1093727937)
From the list, I guess radishes would be the worst...

A lot of people dislike radishes. This is so strange to me. :um I can eat 10 whole radishes straight - I actually need to moderate how much I eat, otherwise I just won't stop.

I'm curious: what do you dislike about radishes? The taste? The texture?

Evo1114 05-28-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowweaver (Post 1093728299)
A lot of people dislike radishes. This is so strange to me. :um I can eat 10 whole radishes straight - I actually need to moderate how much I eat, otherwise I just won't stop.

I'm curious: what do you dislike about radishes? The taste? The texture?

I haven't had them very often, but from what I recall, they have a sort of bitter taste. Not saying I hate them, just that if all the above were in front of me, they would probably be the last thing I'd choose. I have been a 'repeat customer' of radishes, so I must like them at least a little bit.