What was your least favourite subject at school? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: What was your least favourite subject at school?
English 4 17.39%
Math 4 17.39%
Science 3 13.04%
History 1 4.35%
Sport 6 26.09%
Geography 3 13.04%
Other(please state 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What was your least favourite subject at school?

Go .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 02:28 PM
zkv
SAS Member

Recess.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 02:55 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Anything math related (including certain kinds of science that involved chemical equations) had me hurling my textbook at my bedroom wall, screaming and sobbing, tearing my hair, and punching my legs in frustration.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 03:28 PM
Ω

Well the teaching environment of the classes is a lot more effective at dissuading students than the actual subject. In terms of subject though, my favorite was chemistry. I didn't like consumer studies.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 04:08 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I hated chemistry.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:25 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
I hated chemistry.
Me too - I could never seem to understand it.

My favourites were probably French and maths.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecedouglas1 View Post
Go .
No, you go you damned Reecedouglas1 you!

Ha! I can tell you're from the UK because you listed "sport" instead of "gym" as a class! I'm on to you Reecedouglas1! I already (maybe) know where you (might) be from!

Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to fool ole either/orski

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Ω

Well eff you guys. >;(

Actually, the fun thing about chemistry for me was the reinforcement you got by actually doing the experiments. Idk though, maybe other schools had more application/experiments in physics and biology as well? But for me they were mostly sitting on your butt and reading. Of course there is a lot of theory in chemistry as well, but it pays off in a different way.

I think the most useless subject as it's taught is maths. Most of it is too career specific, such as anything beyond basic algebra. A lot of learning maths is about cumulative knowledge. You need a very strong foundation to move onto the next stage of learning. Lots of people get lost because they, at some point, miss some crucial part of the previous stage. This is not entirely on them, teaching a class of people, making sure each one has a fundamental understanding is not easy. Maths is also one of those subjects you really can't bamboozle, no matter how dumb your teacher is. It's easier in subjects that rely on memorizing phrases, to fake knowledge. Especially if you're clever with words. In maths, you actually have to know what you're talking about to get a decent grade.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Anything math related (including certain kinds of science that involved chemical equations)
Same here, I didn't enjoy anything math related and most of it I have never used again (Sin/Cos/Tan comes to mind) Chemical equations where difficult for me too, I did really badly on the practical exam for Chemistry because I got the first equation all wrong and it influenced all the other answers down the line.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
I hated chemistry.
Yes, this. Worst class of all time.

I also hated geometry, it was the worst math of all the maths.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I've never heard the word sport before, we usually use the word PE for that class here.

Speaking of PE no I didn't like that one at least in secondary school mostly because of the other students, I think I probably liked it before then, I also took part in some stuff outside of class before secondary school like running and long jump. Also I always liked swimming my secondary school didn't have swimming classes which I'm glad about actually.

I also didn't like maths especially again in secondary school with the terrible maths teacher I had for years. I didn't like a bunch of design & technology classes - cooking, textiles, 'resistant materials,' and I didn't like chemistry though that was just part of science we didn't have a specific chemistry class until later on. It wasn't because of the subject in most cases it was because I had phobic reactions to all kinds of things especially involving bunsen burners and/or was too scared to ask about certain things. (Although tbh I also don't like cooking.)

Also I had a really bad physics teacher for GCSE physics modules. So I didn't like that either.

Honestly I pretty much disliked most subjects in secondary school.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:03 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I hated physical education with a passion, everything about it was the worst. I despised having to undress around other classmates, and used to wear my gym outfits under my clothes because I was so paranoid.. then the instructors always treated me like crap. I hated the competition, I hated how my gym teacher would mock me and tell me how I ran like a girl, threw like a girl, blah blah blah, he was a real jerk.

I think what made it worst was my older brother was a complete jock, he played football and was good at it, so the instructor sometimes compared me to him, it was really annoying. I was the complete opposite, and would rather spend my time playing D&D and avoiding people, rather than competing against them.

I actually skipped out of most of the last semester of phys ed my senior year, I spent my time in the library hiding and it worked right up to the last few weeks, in which I was caught. Because I was so low profile, and considered a good kid that kept out of trouble, they let it slide and was only made to go for the last couple of weeks to pass.

It was just as bad throughout my entire school experience, middle school all the way up through graduation. I hated that class with a passion, and it seemed like every instructor I had was a real jerk.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:59 PM
Gangsta Crayon

Math and gym. Geometry was the worst. Math in general is so boring and I struggled with it a lot except for HS Algebra.

I hated gym more in ways than math cause the unbearable awkwardness of people noticing me and having to go to the locker rooms. Also, having to awkwardly stand around waiting for a ball to hit you didnt do my anxiety any good. At least in math class, I could just sit in the back and just do my work.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Gangsta Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Anything math related (including certain kinds of science that involved chemical equations) had me hurling my textbook at my bedroom wall, screaming and sobbing, tearing my hair, and punching my legs in frustration.
Omg. That must have sucked. I sorta felt like this about math. When I went to community college about 9 years ago, I got so frustrated one night that I threw my pencil and it somehow came back down and poked me in the hand. It really hurt and I still have a small scar from it. You can see it better in bright light. I feel it on the palm of my hand sometimes and it feels like a small lump. Feels weird.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 08:31 PM
!

My Mood: Drunk
Yeah geography, not interested.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 09:06 PM
SAS Member

I was, and still am, terrible in math, but I have to go with Sport/Gym class. I was the kid running from the ball making all the other kids on my team angry. It was awful.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 05:44 AM
zkv
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I think what made it worst was my older brother was a complete jock, he played football and was good at it, so the instructor sometimes compared me to him, it was really annoying. I was the complete opposite, and would rather spend my time playing D&D and avoiding people, rather than competing.
My brother wasn't a jock but he was cool and smart. Being compared to an older sibling just sucks. Did you actually have friends you could play D&D with? Jealous. I only found out about D&D a few years ago. Looks like the coolest board game ever. Geeky coolness.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 07:04 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv View Post
My brother wasn't a jock but he was cool and smart. Being compared to an older sibling just sucks. Did you actually have friends you could play D&D with? Jealous. I only found out about D&D a few years ago. Looks like the coolest board game ever. Geeky coolness.

I did have a couple of friends that played with me when I was younger, after junior high it was my youngest brother, and the oldest brother (I have two older brothers). They would have friends that would join us though, so we typically had 3-5 people playing a campaign which was pretty cool. We used to have these awesome campaigns that would run through the night, and into the morning and it was quite a lot of fun.

I remember at 8 wanting to play, but my oldest brother wouldn't let me because the older box sets warned that the game was for players age 9 and up I started playing at 9 and continued into my 20s, it was a lot of fun - I started back up with my kids briefly, but now have my oldest brother who is interested in playing over facetime which is awesome.

My other older brother that was a jock tried to play D&D a little bit, but he was more into sports at the time. He was good at them too, he was really popular and the coach (also gym instructor) really liked him. I think the instructor wanted me to be more like him, so he tried to push me. I dunno, old school ways of trying to get a person to change were pretty ****ed up, what was considered acceptable back then would probably get him fired now. I mean, back then they could swat you with a paddle.

I will say in my brother's favor, it is likely one contributing factor as to why I was not bullied very much in school, he was popular so perhaps people left me alone due to that. It may have sucked in gym class, but who knows what school would have been like without having him there.

But yeah, I'm glad I had dungeons & dragons back in he day. Video gaming was okay, but not quite up to scale like it is now, I did enjoy reading novels back then but it was not as interactive unless it were choose your own adventure style books. The Internet was barely a thing and dialup to a BBS would have been long distance for me in the 80s. Back then, D&D provided an escape from the mundane, and a way to be among others in a fantasy setting.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv View Post
Recess.
and lunch
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 01:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
PE - Making kids sit quietly in a classroom for hours is one thing, but making them exert themselves is scummy. I know I didn't pick up any good habits from it, I just hated every minute.

Religion - The ''jumping the shark'' moment of school, where you know it's become an utterly meaningless waste of your time. I was never taught how to write a CV, how to handle job interviews, how to file my taxes... nah, gotta teach the kids to tolerate religions that treat half of them as future child factories and the other half as future disposable cannon fodder.

Literature - Same as above, but intended to instill some national ''pride'' so you won't want to leave the ****hole country for a better future as soon as you've got your degree.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page