Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Generation Y (1981 - 1995)

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Generation Z (1996 - 2010)

Votes: 6 13.0%

What Generation are you?

6K views 40 replies 33 participants last post by  copper 
#1 ·
Baby Boomer , Generation X , Generation Y or Generation Z?

#2 ·
Cretaceous period.

#13 ·
lol reading the generation wikipedia pages:

Around the world, members of Generation Z are spending more time on their electronic devices and less time reading books than before,[34][35][36] with implications for their attention span,[36] their vocabulary,[37][38] and thus their school grades[39] as well as their future in the modern economy.[34] At the same time, reading and writing fan fiction is of vogue worldwide, especially among teenage girls and young women.[40][41] In Asia, educators in the 2000s and 2010s typically sought out and nourished top students whereas in Western Europe and the United States, the emphasis was on low-performers.[42] In addition, East Asian students consistently earned the top spots in international standardized tests during the 2010s.[43][44][45][46]
Really? Fanfiction was considered terribly geeky/something you would never admit to reading/writing with people my age. It really became a popular thing suddenly with people several years-decade younger? Seems unlikely. Or is the point people just read/write it but still don't talk about it? That seems believable.

Millennials came of age in a time where the entertainment industry began to be affected by the Internet.[117][118][119] Using artificial intelligence, Joan Serrà and his team at the Spanish National Research Council studied the massive Million Song Dataset and found that between 1955 and 2010, popular music has gotten louder, while the chords, melodies, and types of sounds used have become increasingly homogenized.[120][121] Indeed, producers seem to be engaging in a "Loudness war," with the intention of attracting more and more audience members.[122] Serrà and his colleagues wrote, "...old tune with slightly simpler chord progressions, new instrument sonorities that were in agreement with current tendencies, and recorded with modern techniques that allowed for increased loudness levels could be easily perceived as novel, fashionable, and groundbreaking."[121][123] While the music industry has long been accused of producing songs that are louder and blander, this is the first time the quality of songs is comprehensively studied and measured.[120] Additional research showed that within the past few decades, popular music has gotten slower; that majorities of listeners young and old preferred older songs rather than keeping up with new ones; that the language of popular songs were becoming more negative psychologically; and that lyrics were becoming simpler and more repetitive, approaching one-word sheets, something measurable by observing how efficiently lossless compression algorithms (such as the LZ algorithm) handled them.[123]
Definitely.

I found the most recent evolution in rap interesting.

2002:

2010s:

I don't want to link endless examples (shocking,) and you can find positive stuff now and negative stuff in the past, just it's become a lot more common to rap about being ****ed up/mental health problems and in general subjects and aesthetics that were previously part of alt-rock/grunge/'emo' etc. I mean a bunch of these young figures like Lil Peep and XXXTentacion are dead now though.)

#16 ·
^ I'm not sure it entirely makes sense either. In terms of social issues the UK was in some ways more tolerant and liberal in the 60s/70s and less so in the 80s/90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Government_Act_1988

But boomers are described as being people who in adulthood were quite liberal, revolutionary and such. Also I feel like 1960 isn't a great starting point for gen x, probably should be around 1970 based on generalised observations. I don't know a lot of older people obviously yet the boomers I come across in the media these days, and my dad are annoyingly conservative/reactionary where as there are silent generation public figures who seem more interesting/outspoken (even though some are terrible, like Thatcher though she only just made the cut since it's 1925 lol):

I love how she continues on even though she's being boo'd loads lol.

I dunno why but George Carlin makes me think he should be in gen X lol (not based on video, he has a very cynical/ironic outlook):

(also how timeless is this video Carlin died in 2008 lol.)

The boomers have Firestone I guess (interesting, ideas stem from Simone de Beauvoir no doubt,) but only just again lol (1945.)

Funny too because 'the silent generation' and they're not in the poll. :lol

#17 · (Edited)
@Persephone The Dread

I love how she continues on even though she's being boo'd loads lol.
I feel like I've seen multiple videos like that from UK parliament (where people seem very adversarial I mean). I kind of like listening to them talk though, lol, not sure why.

---

Funny too because 'the silent generation' and they're not in the poll.
I kind of 'spiritually identify' with the Lost generation & the Greatest generation (these names are ridiculous, lol, just people who were kind of in their adult years ~ 1920-1950). Mostly because I feel like they had idealistic dreams that weren't much tainted by "the real world".

#18 ·
@Myosr

I don't really know much about the history of that country (being ambiguous because I think you mentioned that before,) but what I've read of the developments online are kind of depressing but I think most countries are in different ways.

But yeah a number of feminists and people fighting for women's rights have pretty depressing ends too.

I'm kind of interested by Europe in the 1920s too because it was a lot more liberal before world war 2.

#19 ·
@Persephone The Dread

yeah, it could be worse I guess, lol.

I'm not very aware of the politics of the Europe between the 2 wars. But I like looking up photos from the 1920s and older sometimes (late 1800s) I like something about the aesthetic (dressing style, cars, phones, etc, and technology being very primitive but still there). Even in movies with time travel I kind of like when they go back to the 20s.

(I'm thinking of a specific show where they kept jumping through different decades in the first couple of seasons, then went to the 20s in the third one and I was like "yesss", lol). <-- vague to not spoil a popular show.

#40 · (Edited)
This was my impression as someone born in 1991:

The Craft came out well into the millennial generation but the cast was gen x and I think it fits in as xennial.

Well-

Also "**** me gently with a chainsaw" and "chaos is what killed the dinosaurs darling"

So basically they created one of the only enduring recent subcultures (goths, tbf they technically didn't that started earlier with fiction, but they expanded it,) irony, cynicism, better music had a bunch of interesting and horrifying kids fantasy films though most of that was made by people of an older generation (technically most of what I grew up with and listened to as teenager was created by gen X,) on that note I guess:

You know what this is already getting too long. You get the idea. Music exists. The UK realised Finland existed for a short while etc 😂 lots of bands with female leads with long black hair and goth aesthetics making symphonic metal and goth rock. Not Amy Lee she's an older millennial.

That was a good time too. They made a lot of political music, created alt rock and pop punk and nu metal, riot grrrl, lots more fun music than now but still lots of cynical and aggressive stuff as well. Then started to get nostalgic about post punk and brought that back too (post punk revival.) Started to blend rap and rock together which is more commonplace now. Buffy was a good show. Joss Whedon is technically not gen x but close enough. I imagine most of the best video games were created by gen x and late boomers too.

The only gen x person I knew irl besides possibly teachers whose ages I didn't pay attention to was my mum's youngest sister (I mean I assume some lecturers at uni were too some of them were younger and game devs.) She bought me lots of fantasy/magical sort of themed stuff, she was into Harry Potter too. She had a friend called Lightning who she lived with at one point, he died in a motorbike accident. The only time I played a Dreamcast was in the place they were living at the time. Speaking of that I think my mum mentioned once that my aunt was hit by a car when she was younger and that had some weird impact on her personality. Also she had an imaginary friend as a kid, which I thought was cool I always wanted one of those. However one of their brothers chucked him out of a window and she was devastated. Oh yeah she thought my obsession with Beetlejuice was creepy. XD

People who study these things seem to conclude that gen x was a lot less sheltered/protected, and left to their own devices more. Probably less risk averse - that's been getting worse generationally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.