Returning SASers - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: What would you say keeps you coming back/staying in the forum?
Boredom 19 24.68%
Curiosity 8 10.39%
Missed the site 3 3.90%
Missed someone(s) 3 3.90%
Things have gotten worse 7 9.09%
Need for social activity/interaction 30 38.96%
Other - please explain 7 9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Russian Modster

Returning SASers

A few questions for returning and long-time SAS users:

What would be your main reason for coming back/staying in the forum all these years?

What are some of the main interests about the site that you may have?

What would be your concerns with the site as it is now?

Lastly,

What would you like to change about the site?

Thanks for any feedback

Note: Poll question "Things have gotten worse" refers to users citing when their anxiety or personal situation tends to worsen, they find themselves coming back here.

:: As it stands, more people are willing to kill for what they believe in, rather than die for it ::

Попроси у облаков
Подарить нам белых снов
Ночь плывет и мы за ней
В мир таинственных огней
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM

You can never leave.

She won't let you leave.

Has been somewhere we don't know and has come back with SAS members.

But seriously because get lonely.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Probably a little of all of them, actually. Though I don't really get bored. There's plenty of stuff to do online. I somewhat enjoy this forum in that way that I know the people here and some of them have been here as long as I have. Some of them come and go but it's nice to see them and read what they've been up to.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Toxic Butterfly View Post

What would be your main reason for coming back/staying in the forum all these years?

Lastly,

Not having a great social life. Having ongoing issues, difficult times, a need to vent occasionally.

It seems larger and more invigorating than a lot of other forums of this type that I've seen over the years. People from all over the world, goid discissions about anxiety and non anxiety stuff.

Concerns would be the current owners. They are completely self serving, incompetent, unsympathetic and running this place into the ground.

Change the above, but how??
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Social activity mainly. Not really boredom since there is always something to read on the internet. If I had more of a social life in real life then I'd probably post way less. I'd still post though because there are certain things I can say here or expose about myself that I couldn't with real life friends.

Concerns for the site. Yeah, I wish the owner of SAS cared about SAS. I guess the biggest concern is that we aren't getting enough new posters to replace the ones that stop posting, so the number of active posters is decreasing.

Other changes I'd like- Wish we could reorganize the subforums like was discussed previously.

Wish we could mass delete posts easily. I know supposedly the old posts found in google search is how new posters find this site but I'd hazard to guess that not many posters will bother to mass delete posts. Reddit is one of the most popular forums around and you can mass delete posts easily there.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Half agony, half hope.

Familiarity, I signed up when I was 15 or 16 under the name fallen. Back than the forum was of course more active but it was a major support system for me when I had little to nothing. It's a shame that it's activity has dwindled over the years, but I do hope that those who left are doing well.

How open it can be *shrugs* and it's always interesting to see different opinions.

It's been a bit neglected...

Lastly,

Some of the glitches, also the layout (even though it's more functioning than most forums) would be nice if it was a little more updated. Though I realize the chance of that happening is very unrealistic. Also I think the actual forum is a bit hard to find to someone who is simply browsing the internet, the main page is a little distracting and not smooth to navigate around.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 PM
SAS Member

need to find ways to bring in new people.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:17 PM
watching stars collide

For me its the most comfortable way to express my own thoughts, get them out of my head. Or I miss someone.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I left because this place was adding to my depression. But after I left, I looked all over for a better site. I couldn't find one. Finally shear loneliness brought me back, and I've been back ever since.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused

I think procrastination and avoidance has a lot to do it with it. Sometimes it is easier to be goofy and escape for a while in places
like the JFF section when you get too many serious things going on at once in the rest of life.

I have kind of moved from posting questions and seeking solutions from when I began here, to just using it as a place to read
or diffuse for short periods with people who I probably have more in common with but don't see as often outside of here.

Probably if it is just going to disappear unannounced off the face of earth at some point. I think I would miss seeing where people's lives where headed and hearing their success stories. It just doesn't seem like the site is a big priority for those who own it.

Lastly,

I think people should feel safe and secure posting here, without having to worry about the various stability issues that the site seems to be experiencing and from being harassed/picked on by other users. It troubles me to hear about people not respecting other posters and their boundaries. I would think if someone has anxiety issues, then they should understand and empathize with other users. I'm all for expressing yourself but creating hostility against groups or individuals isn't something that should be acceptable.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:54 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
SAS. Such a lovely place. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
SAS. Such a lovely place. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Love that song.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 PM
SAS Member

It's a sinking ship.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:26 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Toxic Butterfly View Post

Lastly,

Thanks for any feedback

Note: Poll question "Things have gotten worse" refers to users citing when their anxiety or personal situation tends to worsen, they find themselves coming back here.
My main reason for staying on the forum all these years - I chose "I miss the site" in the poll, although "boredom" and "social interaction" would also apply.

I like hearing other peoples' thoughts and opinions without all the filters we put on in real life. You can't get that anywhere else very easily, especially if you have SA.

Sense of community. Everyone here has SA and we understand each other in a way that the normal people can't.

Also you get to know the regular posters and take an interest in them. You want to keep up with what they're doing and hear what they have to say.

If you don't recognize me, I haven't posted much at all in the last four years or so but I still come on and lurk about every other day. I used to post a lot more back in the 2009-2014 period.

I don't have any concerns about the site or any desire to change it, except that it would be nice if it had more traffic.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:13 AM
nothing

i come back out of boredom even tho this place has become a bit boring lately with the less traffic thing. it's also a way for me to socialize a little, i respond to threads but there's no one i actually talk to

post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 AM View Post
i come back out of boredom even tho this place has become a bit boring lately with the less traffic thing. it's also a way for me to socialize a little, i respond to threads but there's no one i actually talk to
You're like a ninja.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 AM
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
You're like a ninja.
i'm sorry, wat

post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:51 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 AM View Post
i'm sorry, wat
You know how I asked if you were a ninja when you posted a pic of your outfit and now you're saying that you respond to threads but don't talk to people, that's such a ninja thing to do. In between the shadows, in and out, not socializing much, you know, ninja stuff.
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:22 AM
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
You know how I asked if you were a ninja when you posted a pic of your outfit and now you're saying that you respond to threads but don't talk to people, that's such a ninja thing to do. In between the shadows, in and out, not socializing much, you know, ninja stuff.
oh, right, well you're not wrong...
Posted via Mobile Device
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 AM
experimental sincerity

Main reason for staying/coming back:

Need for social interactions, and there are some really nice people here to interact with.
Main interests about the site:

I'm interested in people and their lives, so most content is of interest. Less keen on discussing current affairs or playing forum games.

Concerns about the site:
Security It would be nice of more of the forum was members-only.

Things I would like to change:
It would be good if the forum was easier to find from the main page - I wouldn't be able to locate it unless I knew where it was.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page