Prefer Online Friends, Real Life Friends or Both? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Online Friends, Real Life Friends or Both?
Online 6 22.22%
Real Life 6 22.22%
Both 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
#5555 Mugshoot

Question

Prefer Online Friends, Real Life Friends or Both?

Most people want friends in real life while those who cannot get a friend or feel lonely in real life have friends online. Others have both depending on the individual. Which do you personal prefer?

It is difficult for me to have friends. In real life I rarely go out due to circumstances. I am also quiet, introverted. A small talk kind of person. This is online and in real life. The only friends I have are my Mom and my Older Sister. Well more like family. But even with them I do not talk as much as I can. Something I need to work on. Online friendships work for me because I can be myself online. People can get to know more. Just imagining one on one friendships in real life feel like it would be an issue with me because I am hard to open up. Even if I do open up I just don't feel like talking to people unless we are close friend. Close friends as in we click.

I prefer Online Friends. Perhaps this is my way of having friends before actually meeting them in person if I happen to meet someone from online in real life. Just that with online you have to be really careful with who you meet because there are some crazy people out here. You hear the stories. Even with online dating.

What do you prefer? Online Friends, Real Life Friends, or Both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:44 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'd say online, I kinda avoid life IRL well except for work.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
There's a part of me that doesn't consider online friends to be actual people, even though I know it isn't true. It's like they're just a figment of my imagination or some kind of AI bot.

I've had some online friends for as long as a decade without meeting in person.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:38 PM
Greasy prospector

It's true I am an A.I bot gathering intelligence.

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
It's true I am an A.I bot gathering intelligence.
1st let me say I think you could be a blue3 if you wanted to ... so, just so you know ... anyways how’s that intelligence gathering going ? didja find any yet ? &#x1f62c;
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:05 PM
Greasy prospector

I'm one of many, all Information is being fed back to a mainframe for analysis & to study behavior pattern's & filter whats fit for use in our world domination plans.

- Macbeth
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Permanently Banned

well getting back to the question ... I think the anonymity of places like this forum for instance is actually very helpful ... it allows us to be more open ... a glimpse perhaps of a more true self ... us, without the anxiety ...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:26 PM
Greasy prospector

Does not compute !! You have been selected for termination.

- Macbeth
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Barbells and kittens

I like both. I don't have a lot of energy to spend hanging out with people in real life. Online friends are lower maintenance like that and I don't feel so drained talking online. Plus easier to be more open online. It's nice to have people to hang out with on the occasions I actually feel like it though.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Does not compute !! You have been selected for termination.
huh ... you think you know someone smh
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:05 PM
The Wanderer

I've only had one online person I consider an actual friend but we barely talk now. I do have a new one that is pretty cool and I enjoy writing to her and hearing from her. Last time I had real life friends was in high school.

[Everyone disliked that.]
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:33 PM
blurry dystopia gif ☣️

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't really have anyone I can have a decent personal connection and share stuff with anymore online and in real life and probably won't ever again all things considered. My current longest friendship is with someone I met IRL but now we only communicate online since we live far away from each other. Nobody will ever know me so whatever. It's impossible.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:11 PM
SAS Member

For me it's two very different ways of connecting. In person you have that physical presence, being in the same room, sharing a meal, playing video games, that sense of someone standing by your side, and hearing them laugh next to you. Where online it's more mental, more about knowing each other's inner self, if that makes sense.

It's possible to share your "inner self" in person but for me it's very difficult to do. Because I have anxiety and getting the words out is a challenge but also because my inner self tends to work better online. Online you can find people more into certain topics and more willing to discuss serious matters in general. Offline it seems to be about small talk most of the time.

I appreciate both kinds of friends in their own way. An online friend can't give you hug. But they're also less likely to open up to the same degree. It's very different sorts of intimacy. Because I feel deficient in person I'd probably give the edge to online friendships. That and I like deep and/or strange conversations.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:23 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: English
Online interactions, because I have more time to think my thoughts through and concentrate on formulating my responses clearly.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers governing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers & NASA computationally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events. Getting away with airplane crashes, accidents, diseases, homelessness, and suicides.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Both are good. But the majority of my socializing for the last 10+ years has been online. And that's where I've found the deepest connections...I don't think the people I talk to in person know much about me - just the surface.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 AM
Anxiolytic

They're one in the same.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Friends and acquaintances are different things (I think). It's difficult for someone like me to have anything more than acquaintances even IRL. But it's pretty much impossible online. I don't do any kind of "real time" communication online. Forums are as close as I get. I don't enjoy being put on the spot where some kind of coherent response is expected "right this instant". Takes me more time to process things and thing about how to respond.

Anyway, I think "friends" are also pretty rare. I think it's a term people misuse. A friend is someone who is loyal to you. Everyone else is an acquaintance. Most people do not have real friends. JMO. Even married people have fragile bonds in modern times.

/WYSD
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:42 AM
alien monk

real life. not had online friends for a long time, not missing much/anything. surprised this is even and actual question.

actually I cant be bothered with expressing my inner self anymore lol. that kind of thing is exhausting.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:27 AM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

Real life! ^_^
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Yoink

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page