Free College - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Would you go to free college?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 4 23.53%
Maybe 5 29.41%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

Question

Free College

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

I already have a degree but I'd probably go for a second one if it was free. Maybe even phD level
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:58 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
In California if you are low income, the 2-year community colleges are free with the BOG fee waiver. Books aren't free but tuition is.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:39 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
I hear California has a housing crisis where there is no affordable real estate, so it's kinda hard seeing people move there just for 2-year community college degrees.
Well, you'd have to have to have California residency anyways. Just moving to California doesn't give you residency.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 03:59 PM
Half agony, half hope.

Sign me up

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 05:45 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Yeah, I'd enroll part-time but I'd continue working full-time. Even if higher ed was free, I'd still have to pay rent and living expenses.

It's already very affordable where I live (Quebec), and you can obtain an entire bachelor's degree for like $12,000. But I can't enroll because there isn't a program that fits my schedule.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 06:12 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
There would be no point for me. I forget everything I see or hear within a few days. Or I should say I can't remember things reliably. There's no rhyme nor reason for what I remember and what I forget. And repetition doesn't work to force things into long term memory. I'm also completely overwhelmed with any kind of complexity and "in my head" work. I'm only fit to mop floors and clean toilets.

/WYSD
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:49 PM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Yes, and I'd probably stay there until I die, collecting as many PhDs as I could.

I used to work with a guy who had free tuition (his mother was a professor) and he couldn't be arsed to go. Whereas I wanted to go but couldn't because I couldn't afford to. I couldn't even get a student loan. What a waste. ****'s not fair, man.

Mostly interested in psychology, philosophy, literature, and gender studies these days. It would be a completely useless education, which is probably why they don't let people go for free.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 10:34 PM
SAS Member

It's not free here but it may as well be - they have a great scheme where the Government pays and you pay them back later. No interest (as far as I know) and only if/when your income reaches a certain level. It's taken out in bits from the tax you pay. Excellent system and very fair.

I could go back and do a Masters or something but I don't really see the point at my age. I'm not sure I could be bothered tbh or whether I could deal with the hassle of essays etc. I did it when I was younger but my mental health situation is worse now.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
I got mine for free but I didn't finish it. College just isn't for me.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:20 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I went, it wasn't free but since I'll never earn enough to pay it back and then they write it off eventually I probably won't be paying it back.

If it was actually free then there are lots of topics that I think would be interesting to study.

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain
You've been talking to the wall
Everybody is dead in this house

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain
You never wanted to be born
Everybody is dead in this house

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 AM
No Blood for Politics

My Mood: Breezy
Sadly, probably not--not because it wouldn't be a dream scenario but more because I cease to function properly in public and my comprehension of anything disintegrates. If something were to change, I'd be all over it.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:18 AM
I am average!

Youtube? The internet? Wikipedia?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 03:09 PM
SAS Member

My father had enough money saved up to send both me and my brother to 4 years of college which we both did. I received a Human Services degree and my brother a Nursing degree.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 03:30 PM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Indeed View Post
Youtube? The internet? Wikipedia?
These are not comparable to an academic education. For many subjects (chemistry, biology, etc.) you won't have any access to a lab or materials. Second, self-educated people are rarely pushed to develop the same degree of competence, as there's no one judging their performance or holding them to any standards. The Internet is full of "self-educated" people who think they understand subjects they know next to nothing about. Myself included. Third, you don't get a diploma, so you can't use your education professionally.

I've been educating myself for 30 years and I'm well aware of its limitations, which is why I still want a formal education. Though the freedom to study whatever I want, whenever I want, does have certain advantages.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:10 PM
No Blood for Politics

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
Have you heard of online college?
I've taken online college courses but I've found in my case in order to gain true understanding and do well I need collaboration with people.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:18 PM
SAS Member

If I lived in London I'd think about a Masters in the history of the book. That would be a great course - although again, I don't think I could be bothered with the actual assessment things anymore. I just read about what I'm interested in on my own.

To do it at Uni you really need to actually want to. Quite a bit of work involved - unless you're just going to play around of course.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: English
I'm already attending a free community college for psychology in NYC, but I want Quantum physics as my major. You have to be a full time student and take courses with 12 credits for the semester.

I didn't meet the criteria for pre-algebra credits, because the math concepts that my professor taught was irreverent to his test and the finals.

This is my first time not passing a math class.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers governing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers & NASA computationally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events. Getting away with airplane crashes, accidents, diseases, homelessness, and suicides.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
I got mine for free but I didn't finish it. College just isn't for me.
No way, i was sure you had a PhD in political sciences.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 02:19 PM
Chonker

No I'm too anti social. I was sick of homework and presentations and studying and the bull of dealing with other classmates. My grandmother set me up with enough to cover a couple years of university and she was offended that I wouldn't go to college. I graduated high school with a C average, so I would have to go to the community college and then transfer to a 4 year school. On the field trips to universities I grew to hate the experience, so many people, so many strict professors and just too much school work involved.

The money she set me up with just sits in a college investment. I've already made it known that I'm never going back to school and the money should be transferred out. But apparently you'd have to pay big taxes to take the money out so it just sits and gains interest. I'd rather it go to someone that would use it. Maybe if I get married my wife could use the money or if I had a kid they could use it, but that will never happen.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page