Do you live outside the country in which you were born? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you live outside the country in which you were born?
yes 11 36.67%
no 14 46.67%
i've done it before 5 16.67%
i plan on it 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Do you live outside the country in which you were born?

so do you live outside the place you were born? how has your experience been and did you adapt well? or poorly?

are you interested in emigrating? are you happy where you are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Nah I'm not happy. Living somewhere else or travelling indefinitely would be preferable in an ideal situation.

Economy wise no where is that great, culturally lots of interesting places, social policy wise Argentina seems cool (or will be when they legalise abortion,) crime wise it's also going to vary by town/city.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:17 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
No. I have lived in other countries but one was in Mexico as a child and the other was South Korea when I was in the army.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I live in the country I was born in. I'm satisfied with my quality of life.

I am interested in relocating for a few years but it's not likely to happen. I would be interested in living in western Europe or western + northeast US.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:23 AM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Crappy
No
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:08 AM
SAS Member

I was born in another country but have lived in the US for 23 years (most of my life). I'd like to move somewhere else yes. Whether it's another state or country. Preferably in Canada or Europe.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I have thought before that I wish I lived somewhere else but most of the countries that would be more desirable do not allow easy immigration. Especially if you're not well educated and don't have a job that is in demand. They don't want you if you're gonna be a burden.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:46 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I've done it before, and I would totally do it again, given the opportunity.

Although, mainly just a few countries (us, uk) where I'd prefer to live. (Although, the living conditions in would most likely be much worse for me; I'd make less money and worse.. Well, everything for the most part.. But I think it would be worth it for an experience).

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 02:00 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I was born in this country. I have lived in several different countries in the past (as an adult). Every country has its positives and negatives. Hardest thing is learning a 2nd language and dealing with immigration.

I am not happy living in the US and it's not like I have many attachments to this country. I only have my sister and dad. Not super close to them. I would move to Australia in a heartbeat if I could get a working visa or better yet permanent residency. Australia because no need to learn a new language, wealthy country, good climate in the larger cities, and easygoing people (met quite a few Australians when I was living in Japan).
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 02:26 PM
SAS Member

I live in the same neighbourhood I was born in. I thought about entering the green card lottery and it's free to enter but I never did.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 02:29 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
I would move to Australia in a heartbeat if I could get a working visa or better yet permanent residency. Australia because no need to learn a new language, wealthy country, good climate in the larger cities, and easygoing people (met quite a few Australians when I was living in Japan).
I'd like to live in Aus too, but I can't stand the heat. Anything over 30C (especially with humidity) is hellish for me.

That might rule out a lot of countries in a few years I suppose. I know Europe had some crazy heat waves last summer.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
One bad thing about the UK is that there's little weather protection/infrastructure, so lots of stuff is built on flood planes that flood all the time, fun:

when bad snow happens since it doesn't happen regularly there are lots of issues with transport etc because the UK isn't used to it. Likewise when it gets warmer there's no air conditioning in houses which is mostly OK I find just have portable fans, but difficult when you're older and since people aren't used to any kind of weather here regularly lots of people die everytime something changes.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 03:49 PM
bipolar

I was born here in Australia but in a different city. I've lived briefly in Germany (Black Forest) in my 20's with a girlfriend at the time. Also spent a fair bit of time in London and lots of time in places like Indonesia.

I'm not sure about living anywhere else tbh - I think as I get older I'll spend more of the year up in maybe Thailand, I really like Bangkok - a great city and a lot cheaper than here. I doubt I'd stay all year though, no matter where it is - I'd want to come back to see my wife and son. I might go and stay for a while in the Uk or France again one day - I have a British passport as well (due to my father) so that wouldn't be a problem.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 04:01 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
I've never left this country before. not even to get a sandwich

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 04:03 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
I'd like to live in Aus too, but I can't stand the heat. Anything over 30C (especially with humidity) is hellish for me.

That might rule out a lot of countries in a few years I suppose. I know Europe had some crazy heat waves last summer.
You'd probably like it down here in Melbourne - a lot of people seem to. We have people from everywhere here. Plus the heat in summer isn't really humid (it is in places like my home town Sydney though - gets very sticky there). Perth's also a nice city although I haven't been there for a long time. Lots of nice places here.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Angelic
No, I live 20 miles from where I was born.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 04:52 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I was born in the US but lived in Singapore for 4 years, during high school. I think I was still too young to fully appreciate the opportunity at the time, but in hindsight it was amazing. It also got me used to travel and other cultures and peoples fairly early on, which definitely contributed to a more open mindset I think.

I'm definitely interested in leaving this state when I can, though I don't know about living in another country again. Definitely not Singapore -- it's a beautiful country, but terribly expensive.

"Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce / To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: / Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n" - "Satan", Paradise Lost
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:16 PM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
Have never lived more than 40 miles from where I was born, have only left California for more than a few hours once. But I've seen the world on Google Earth, so there's no need to go anywhere.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:17 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
I was born in the US but lived in Singapore for 4 years, during high school. I think I was still too young to fully appreciate the opportunity at the time, but in hindsight it was amazing. It also got me used to travel and other cultures and peoples fairly early on, which definitely contributed to a more open mindset I think.

I'm definitely interested in leaving this state when I can, though I don't know about living in another country again. Definitely not Singapore -- it's a beautiful country, but terribly expensive.
Singapore's terribly expensive - even more than here. Nice city though - although it feels a bit artificial to me. It was probably better when you were there maybe - before they renovated the whole place and took away all it's character. It actually feels a lot like Sydney now.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:20 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Have never lived more than 40 miles from where I was born, have only left California for more than a few hours once. But I've seen the world on Google Earth, so there's no need to go anywhere.
No offence but it's a lot better when you're actually there mate.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page