Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Voting Booth (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f36/)
-   -   Do you like cover songs? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f36/do-you-like-cover-songs-16368/)

OneIsALonelyNumber 10-29-2006 09:05 AM

Do you like cover songs?

Do you like cover songs, assuming you've heard the original first?

I generally hate covers.

This is me listening to Johnny Cash do a Pearl Jam song

:puke

nothing to fear 10-29-2006 09:20 AM

sometimes, it all depends on who is covering the song, what song it is, et.c

i really like the johnny cash cover of nin's "hurt".

Zephyr 10-29-2006 09:33 AM

I like some of them. I always hold more respect for whoever wrote the song originally, because without that the song obviously wouldn't exist to cover in the first place. If I like a song I always try to find out who wrote it. It's kind of neat when you end up finding out a song was a cover, and you didn't know it at first. I started a thread on that topic quite a while ago...

Chrysalii 10-29-2006 10:29 AM

I do like covers, I'm usually obsessed with finding them if it's a song I really like. Most suck, but occasionally there is a good one.

Drella 10-29-2006 12:02 PM

It depends on the original song and who's covering it. Mark Lanegan always does nice covers. I especially like his versions of "She's not for You" by Willie Nelson, "Cripple Creek" by Skip Spence, and "Ramblin' Man" by Hank Williams. I also like Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.

anonymid 10-30-2006 03:26 PM

As Duke Ellington said, "if it sounds good, it is good." Whether or not the performer of a song is also its composer is incidental to me.

AstroFan 10-30-2006 11:40 PM

Re: Do you like cover songs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneIsALonelyNumber

This is me listening to Johnny Cash do a Pearl Jam song

What song did Cash cover? Or did you mean to say Pearl Jam covering "25 Minutes To Go"?

R 10-31-2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing_to_fear
sometimes, it all depends on who is covering the song, what song it is, et.c

i really like the johnny cash cover of nin's "hurt".

I like this too, but generally I don't like them. In fact the more real the song is the more I generally like it. For example the Doors are always better live. Although I am to young to really hear them live, I mean the live recorded stuff.

Meee 10-31-2006 03:42 AM

Completely depends on who's doing the cover (and whether or not the song they're covering is actually any good). Sometimes covers are better - like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt - and sometimes they just suck.

ghostgurl 10-31-2006 01:07 PM

Sometimes they're good.

estse 10-31-2006 06:59 PM

Futures 11-02-2006 12:51 PM

It all depends on the artist and the song they are covering.

But I wish there was some rule in the music industry where you have to have established your band with your own music before you can do a cover song. And you should only be able to release a cover song as single only once in your career.

I see too many up and coming bands that try to ride on the coat tails of a cover song in order to propel their own career, since they can't write good originals.

Zephyr 11-02-2006 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Futures
It all depends on the artist and the song they are covering.

But I wish there was some rule in the music industry where you have to have established your band with your own music before you can do a cover song. And you should only be able to release a cover song as single only once in your career.

I see too many up and coming bands that try to ride on the coat tails of a cover song in order to propel their own career, since they can't write good originals.

I don't think that's true. I doubt a band can make a whole (good) career out of doing cover songs. It's a good way to kick off a career before you have a lot of good originals; the Beatles and Rolling Stones began life essentially as cover bands before starting to write their own stuff, and of course they ended up penning dozens and dozens of classic originals each.

Your idea of only releasing a cover as a single once in a career I like a bit, though I might up the limit to two or three.

starblob 11-08-2006 08:08 PM

It depends - i do not like the techno cover version crap...sacreligious!