Do You Have a Car License? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have a car license?
Yes 38 79.17%
No 10 20.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

My Mood: Amazed

Do You Have a Car License?

Do you have a driver's license? I'm in my late 30s, do not have one and have never actually tried driving. It would give me a panic attack when parking with all the people staring at me. Anybody feel the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:22 PM
SAS Member

I guess I'm in a similar situation. Although, I also feel like I could accomplish it if I truly wanted to. Problem is I don't want to.

I don't want another major expense in life, given I've made it this far without a vehicle. The thought of having something else to constantly upkeep and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on mentally exhausts me.

Some people are only supposed to be passengers, maybe.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Yes but I hate driving. Unfortunately, where I live, you need a car to get around.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:07 PM
SAS Member

Yeah I got my driver's license last year. I was nervous about getting it and driving but now I like being able to go somewhere without relying on somebody to drive me.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Always on the Run.

My Mood: Pensive
Yes. I got it when I was 20. Haven't owned or touched a car in 5 years though.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:31 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Yes, and I have driven almost 500,000 miles in the almost 27 years since.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:10 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Talking

So many reasons they didn't exist

none of my fault

medical, speed for best reasons, not exceeding, to sensibly match others' speed to avoid collision, in a reduced 50mph construction area, signs blowing over despite sandbag support, just a fee

NO Parking fees!

intoxication under command to swallow as scripted

colliding with a vehicle which didn't indicate their intended movement

a passenger opening a door for air space to smoke
contacting a police vehicle

ban time reduced by months as attending a alco teaching intoxication lesson (images of death), how long alco remains in blood...

driving with expired licence, so car snatched away, live! reason: turbulent anxiety of deep experience.. laws: right to continue until an incident occurs caused by driver, not other party. anxiety of scrutiny impending.

latest episode of many years of submitting licence at will during personal rehab period after hospital discharge. including other patients' advice of stroke (me not suffer that, related condition (temp) told: carry on
all learnt. only 5 years of this fresh 2018 licence. as all my recovery(Expert) being unemployment, no partner... all improvement physical & medical proving worth health
all aspects of life demanding GP & Neurology review.. sturdily robust me 100% any further accusation or doubt they may suffer

having a second car as backup wreaking havok. both individually different +/- attributes each. when commission/decommission or simultaneously..???

life paranoia incurred.. waking to stare out window... anyone just remove the car, disappeared... without consent for perplexing medical conditions unfair never happened (passively, loss) until one day stopped live... very close to ignore their hand gesturing... keep going to destination
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:09 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
No and I don't think I could afford a car unless I saved on rent by living with roommates. Cars seem really pricey. I don't like the unknown part. Never know when the car will break down or when you will get into an accident.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:05 AM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Doh
Yes, but I've never really made use of it after passing my test because I've never driven without someone else in the car to guide me yet. I'm still kind of scared to drive by myself, and now my mother is too since she got in an accident recently. My family isn't letting me drive theirs so I'm stuck without a car too. The only solution is saving for one, since it's very depressing being trapped in these suburbs without one.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:55 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
It's kind of weird when I actually think about it: driving is one of the few things that doesn't really give me anxiety. I don't care about other people while I'm driving as long as they're not in my car, and thankfully I don't drive with others often. I actually rather like driving alone, as long as there's not too much traffic. It's relaxing.

That said, people who go way too fast are a pet peeve of mine. Ever since I got a ticket for speeding a few years ago, when I didn't realize how fast I was going down a hill in a residential area, I've been paranoid about my speed. Not necessarily because of the law itself but because I can't stand wasting that much money. I'm no slowpoke, but I won't go more than a few MPH over the speed limit -- yet I'm constantly getting passed by people who go way too fast. Like, I get that everyone is pressed for time or just wants to get where they're going ASAP, but that's no excuse for breaking the law. At least they'll be getting the expensive tickets -- not me!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:02 AM
SAS Member

I got a regular old full license. How it works round here, you usually have to take a written test, then an actual driving test, then another one. I passed the written test, then the working one, then the next, all on the first try, I guess I'm just good or maybe too absorbed. My sister failed each of the first two at least five times each. I'm actually so damn old I can be a test driver for kids 16 and up. After 25 I can drive with any random folks and make sure they are on the right track without any making sure. I'm an everyday driver and it seems strange for me for folks to be regulating it or worrying about it. You about got to do it, cause public transit is pretty well nonexistent here. My niece is hitting driving age right about now and I will probably have to give her lessons. Not hard to drive, also not hard to drive well. It's quite easy to follow the rules and it works, what do you know.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:17 AM
SAS Member

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:18 AM
Barbells and kittens

Yes, got my regular driver's license at 16 and my Class A commercial driver's license at 33.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yes got it at 21 but still need a lot of work driving. Don't really have a car to help me practice more though. Been over a year since I've been practicing at all. Not sure if I need therapy to help with my driving anxiety or what as well . Biggest issue though because rides are so expensive.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 AM
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens View Post
Yeah I got my driver's license last year. I was nervous about getting it and driving but now I like being able to go somewhere without relying on somebody to drive me.
Inspiring you were able to overcome it later in life .

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:42 AM
SAS Member

I've had a DL for 40 years now, got it at 16. I failed the driving test the first time due to anxiety but took it again a couple weeks later and passed. Took me a while to get comfortable driving, a lot depends on whether you are comfortable in the car you are driving. I got comfortable driving my parent's ford Fairmont, an easy car to drive. Since I live out in the country I'd be really stuck if I couldn't drive. Driving around here is pretty easy, not that much traffic in most places. I do make quite a few trips into NJ every year but it's northern NJ so it's a pretty pleasant drive. Due to my fear of heights I do make sure I avoid roads that cling to the side of a cliff and some crazy bridges.lol
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:48 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Yes, passed after 4 attempts. I like driving actually but I think you have to force yourself to drive everyday after you get your licence until the anxiety goes away.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven17 View Post
Yes, passed after 4 attempts. I like driving actually but I think you have to force yourself to drive everyday after you get your licence until the anxiety goes away.
Idk one guy tried that and boom he was so nervous he killed someone and got manslaughter charges.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Perhaps force was the wrong word. If you are unsafe then that's a whole different thing. I just find it automatic driving now because I drive around the same streets all the time. After 7 years of driving everyday very little makes me anxious about it. New areas are a bit different but I just avoid them at peak times if possible, I also still take trains/buses if going to busy city centres.

Weirdly I see the most awful driving on Sunday and bank holidays, people just seem to forget to look before pulling out of junctions on quiet days.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
does the car ease any SA?

i love any machine as a friend. it does what i want.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page