Do you feel more lethargic in hot weather? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you feel more lethargic in hot weather?
Yes 14 73.68%
No 3 15.79%
It depends 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah

Do you feel more lethargic in hot weather?

My bedroom really holds in the heat/humidity whenever summer weather gets warm (old British houses were all designed precisely to keep heat in), and there is absolutely no convenient space to put a fan. Think it certainly does make me feel somewhat more lethargic than I would at other times, perhaps because it's usually accompanied with high humidity. Can't really imagine what it must be like to live in a truly hot country, but there you may have dry not humid heat/air conditioning, ceiling fans or whatever.

It's impossible to say how much the weather has actually changed over the decades, but do remember wandering around central London in summer 2006 (which had a very hot spell) and thinking (in rather a daze) that it felt more like Athens (in Greece) than most traditional British summers. When I first went on holiday to Greece (Corfu and the mainland coast opposite it, to be precise) with my parents in the early 90s, remember I nearly got heatstroke one afternoon because had presumably experienced nothing like it. Don't know whether the difference in intensity of heat between the UK and Greece would be much less nowadays.

Đhis girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 12:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
We over-AC everything here, so it isn't a big issue. I kind of like hot and humid weather, more so when I was a kid. I think I have more problems with lethargy and mental inertia during the late winter months particularly when the sun seems to disappear in January and February. I have never been to Greece. I am kind of jealous.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 PM
YAS Member

Extremes of both make me lethargic I guess. Well, the heat definitely makes me feel worn out. But the freezing cold temps make me feel too cold to move.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 PM
F0rum Pothole

Depends. If I am stuck indoors in the heat, then Yes.

If I am outdoors, out and about, then No. The heat makes me more energetic and motivated.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 08:30 AM
experimental sincerity

Yes. Although if the heat is constant, I can find a way to 'work' with it. I have this crackpot theory that the sunlight in the UK (and some other places) has been getting a lot more fierce these last years. It burns before it warms. Maybe it's to do with the climate crisis. And hot, humid weather is terrible. In Egypt, the dry heat doesn't leave me with my clothes sticking to my body. In Thailand, it's hot and humid, but there's frequent rainfall to cool the air off. In England I struggle.

Then again, if it's cold, I start to hibernate : D

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 02:49 PM
Birthday Cake Cutie

yeah sure

indoors is worse though, at least outside you can find some shade or get nice breeze.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 07:58 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Yeah not only that but I get really sick sometimes and almost pass out during the summer months. Hot weather is just disgusting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I feel lethargic pretty much all the time. The weather makes no difference in how lethargic I feel. As far as comfort, I would rather deal with hot weather than cold weather because even without AC, hot weather is (usually) tolerable with a fan. Which a fan takes very little electricity to run. In the Winter, my room either gets too hot or too cold, depending on whether or not I open the vent. If I open the vent, my parents run the furnace until it's 85 degrees in here. If I close it, it gets freezing cold in here and I have to run a space heater.

/WYSD
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:58 PM
bipolar

I think I probably do - heat can be very draining, especially when it's humid as well. Need air-con for that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
Absolutely. I've always run really hot; my ideal temperature is right about 60 degrees Fahrenheit. When it's cold I can put on a hoodie and do whatever I need to do, but when it's hot you can only take off so much, and I get overheated really easily. This triple-digit heat is way too much for me to handle.

"Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce / To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: / Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n" - "Satan", Paradise Lost
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 01:55 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah but it has a positive effect usually on my mood so there's that.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 04:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
When it's in the 100's yes
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:13 PM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
When it hits 83 F indoors (that's usually upper 90s outdoors), that's where I seem to get sleepy in the middle of my day. Although, ironically, it's also the temperature at which it becomes too hot to actually get to sleep easily.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 PM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
I dont like the hot nights. We generally dont have AC in England, but I have a fan that does nothing much.

Friday night I had two ice packs on my back in bed. I have also put a big towel in a sink of cold water, squeeze some out a bit, and put that over me for the night.

**** your feelings !!

SFC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page