Are you good at phones and texting? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Are you good at phones and texting?
Yes 0 0%
No 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

Are you good at phones and texting?

I am, then forget how to use the phone again because of a lack of calling people. And then there are updates and new features i dont know how to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:26 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
No.

1. To me, a phone is for making a phonecall. If I have a phone, I don't need to text.

2. If I am going to bother texting someone, I'm going to sit down at a computer with a keyboard and write in proper sentences. I don't see the point of working harder to communicate less effectively so sending an "r u thre?" text seems bass ackwards to me UNLESS you're doing it somewhere where talking out loud would be awkward.

Since I'm sitting here in the same spot no matter what I'm doing, I have no use for a cell phone.

/WYSD
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:29 PM
SAS Member

I hate phone calls

I keep in touch with everyone through text. I prefer instant messaging if you want to maintain a conversation with me. I hardly use my laptop for that sort of thing anymore cause the phone makes it so easy. And I can talk to you if I'm walking throughout the house 🙂

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 01:46 PM
bipolar

I'm not too bad with my phone. I especially like smart phones for things like putting ads on ebay. I used to have to use a digital camera years ago - then muck around transferring the image etc, now it's so easy and quick with my phone it's fantastic. I just use the laptop to tidy up the actual description.

I have everything on my phone - apps for my bank accounts, Skype, apps for booking hotels. It's great.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 01:58 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
No.

1. To me, a phone is for making a phonecall. If I have a phone, I don't need to text.

2. If I am going to bother texting someone, I'm going to sit down at a computer with a keyboard and write in proper sentences. I don't see the point of working harder to communicate less effectively so sending an "r u thre?" text seems bass ackwards to me UNLESS you're doing it somewhere where talking out loud would be awkward.

Since I'm sitting here in the same spot no matter what I'm doing, I have no use for a cell phone.
You can still type normally with a phone if you want to. I haven't had a computer in years and use my phone for everything now. With the swipe typing keyboard I can still type stuff out fairly quickly. For some reason no one else I know uses that. Tapping each tiny phone keyboard letter individually seems excruciating to me. I do dislike the abbreviated text speak people use though and still type out full words and use punctuation when texting.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:04 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
You can still type normally with a phone if you want to. I haven't had a computer in years and use my phone for everything now. With the swipe typing keyboard I can still type stuff out fairly quickly. For some reason no one else I know uses that. Tapping each tiny phone keyboard letter individually seems excruciating to me. I do dislike the abbreviated text speak people use though and still type out full words and use punctuation when texting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I've been typing one way with an actual keyboard since 1999. Too set in my ways to change that. It would still feel like I was putting way more effort into it than I had to unless I was out in the wilderness or something where I just had to send a message. Or maybe in a waiting room or something.

/WYSD
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:25 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I'm horrible with talking on the phone because it fills me with such dread and humiliation, I actually talk okay but the longer the call goes on, the more I start to panic and can't understand a thing the other person says. Then when the call is over I just want to die, I feel like I did everything wrong and the person on the other end must think I'm mentally handicapped (which isn't far from the truth, I guess). I'll often be left physically weak and shaking for a while.

I don't really know how to use a cell phone because I've never had one. My mother has a kind of old smartphone but it confuses me too much; I've used it exactly once and still messed it up.

Texting...I have no idea how to do that. You may as well ask me how to send a telegram. On a telegraph machine.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:07 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
I'm great at using my phone to take notes, check my email, browse the internet, read the newspaper, listen to an audiobook, play the radio, keep track of the time, and a dozen other things. However, I'm terrible at using it as a phone.

I had to call my bank today. They sent me a text message to verify my identity. So I had to check the text message and tell them the code. But that kicked me out of the phone screen and I had no idea how to access the call again, so they were the ones who disconnected the call when I was done. I just never have to do that sort of thing because I never use my phone as a phone.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny shes reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 PM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
I'm okay at "texting" now that I do 99% of it from my desktop PC with a full size keyboard (thanks to Messages for Web). People on the other end must think I'm a really fast phone typist.

Calls are dreadful things to be avoided though.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:38 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

My desktop computer will always be my #1 option. Typing anything longer than a tweet is just annoying on a phone. Give me a big keyboard, monitor, and flexibility of a desktop computer any day,.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:59 PM
lagrimas negras

It depends on who I'm talking to. I do feel a bit uncomfortable but nothing I can't handle. Being stuck with (some) people face to face is what I really struggle with.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 10:36 PM
formerly Shawn81

Language: English
Texting is okay as long as it's just to communicate something simple. My ex was an obsessed serial texter and it can get to be way too much. I don't like my phone glued to my hand. Anything more than that, I'd prefer to just call. There's nothing more frustrating than some simple misunderstanding that takes 15 minutes of pulling the phone out every 30 seconds to try and sort it out when a 25 second call could clear the whole thing up.

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:56 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

Toyyzz

prettynesss

overwhelmed by such outstannddinngg beauty?? FFUNNN!!! GLAMMOOUURRR!!

FLashshshsYY!!

GLeeamy! rub it! inga it! born wiv it

want it tiny or biggga? 'OW big ya Handz/ingaz?

∂uckTape it to wich side of head? all that terrible demand of bicep stamina, lift whole object all that distance?
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 12:54 AM
alien monk

i only like the people that just call, and kind of call often. it makes me feel like i could just call them. sometimes i do. but those relationships are up and down. my friend hasn't called for a while. moods don't align. my dad said he would call more often and does only a little. sometimes i hate it but sometimes its more natural and its nice. but yeah sometimes my mood is just to be alone and no call. and then someone calls. and its like a wake up call. the call of the wild.

but to make an appointment i just don't want to ****ing call. strangers, i don't want to call.

and i know i'm often bad and non-talkative. but sometimes i just want to talk. so...

i seldom get into that mode where i text like a demon. i can do it. but normally i'll send a lazy text. of course texting is much more common than calling for me. 99% text.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:45 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't like talking on the phone, I have to once or twice a week to talk to my dad when he calls. I would only text with anyone my age, or communicate online via text. I have done voice chat on skype occasionally over the last several years though but generally would avoid that. My headset kind of gave up a while ago too so would need to get a new one.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:53 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I don't like talking on the phone, I have to once or twice a week to talk to my dad when he calls. I would only text with anyone my age, or communicate online via text. I have done voice chat on skype occasionally over the last several years though but generally would avoid that. My headset kind of gave up a while ago too so would need to get a new one.
So you are pretty much persecuted by the phone?

/WYSD
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:58 AM
Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
So you are pretty much persecuted by the phone?
Actually it kind of feels that way a bit but not as bad as when I was a teenager and someone I knew would keep ringing who I didn't really want to talk to. I would be on dialup as often as possible to stop them getting through and sometimes ****ed with the phone so nobody could call. My dad would sometimes be expecting a call or something and notice and be like 'you forgot to hang up' and I'd be like opps but no. That **** was on purpose.

So in addition to the basic social anxiety it's also probably partly past trauma from that person. Luckily the phone tone here is completely different from what it was but still high pitched noises in certain tones sometimes freak me out. The tone we have here now is also a kind of famous tune so if I hear that on a TV show or something it makes me feel bad.

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:34 AM
bipolar

I still get phone anxiety sometimes - it depends who I'm talking to and like everything how I'm feeling in general. I talk to my wife heaps of times a day quite often but that's different - we're not anxious with each other at all. Sometimes if I have to make a call out of the blue to people I don't know I'll be anxious and worry they can hear it in my voice.

I used to use Whatsapp a lot - mostly just texting etc. Pretty much the entire country of Indonesia uses it so I would use it to talk to people I knew up there.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 AM
Social Pothole

I am decent at it in terms of basic use. Texting, downloading apps, updating, clearing storage and other phone software maintenance things. And many new functions which seems to evolve and come on so fast nowadays, I do pick up and learn them relatively quickly since I think I'm still young enough to do so for the time being.

But as for things like sideloading apps, rooting/unrooting and all of the other things, I am mostly clueless. Which for the average late millennial or gen-z'ers I think those things are common basic knowledge for them.

I also realize the lack of a social plans for the most part nowadays, I am also less exposed to so many routine new functions and features of a smartphone that most of your typical average person will know and are constantly exposed to. Like typical social media functions like sending/sharing photos, posting, tweeting, retweeting, event-dining-party recommendations, snapchat sharing, kiking etc, all of the social oriented smartphone features. I am rarely exposed to those.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 03:48 AM
Villain

^ Oh yeah I don't use any social phone apps so whatsapp, snapchat, kik, tinder etc never used any of them. My technophobic mum has actually used whatsapp lol. She'll sometimes still hand me her phone and ask me to do stuff for her automatically despite this because that's her default with technology (she recently asked me to fix her screen brightness.)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page