Your finest dumbass moments? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Your finest dumbass moments?

Anyone ever let themselves go at times without even thinking? Ever gone through a short conversation and surprised yourself with how daft you sometimes have the tendency to be? Is it generally social anxiety which influences this or do you otherwise consider yourself to be an intelligent person?

Sometimes I'm not so sure what to think. I tend to keep away from most people these days as I feel a perpetual inadequacy whenever I open my mouth, but inequity in intelligence levels really comes to the fore at times as I often find myself tangled in the usual family banter. My younger two half-siblings have a very intelligent mother from a collectively intelligent family and quite often I can't help but to feel like trash when I stack myself up against the genetics and the wiring they have. Sure, it's not all genetics, but given the evidence of my biological mother's side of the family being more than a few fries short of a happy meal, it's definitely hard to not instinctively make the connection.

I'll give you a prime example of my mental inadequacy and slowness in the spirit of the thread title anyway.

This afternoon I sat together with my mother and younger half sister and watched The Green Mile. During a moment of silence I was suddenly struck by the inspiration to offer up a fact about one of the leading roles, Michael Clarke-Duncan. I had mentioned how he passed from complications of a heart attack in 2012 and my mother not knowing which character the actor was pointed to the screen and asked, 'Who? John Coffey?' and I said, 'No, Michael Clarke-Duncan'. It was one of those moments where that inner voice immediately says, 'you ****ing idiot' as you try not to notice your younger half-sister looking across to her mother and smirking.

I don't even know why I don't bother catching myself half the time. I know that this kind of daftness is ultimately the ruling factor in my SA and really one of the biggest causes for overall social anxiety and not wanting to be around people or really do anything normal people do at all. I also feel that there is an obsession with intelligence in our society that often leads to the alienation and isolation of those who don't fit into the dominant narrative.

Eh, whatever. Those I've spoken to in the past about this just trivialise it and tell me I'm being stupid. I guess they are right on that.

No one will talk to me, they tend to go. Their faces say there's something I should know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
It's gotten to the point where I constantly say the most moronic **** on purpose so that when something accidental slips out, it's mostly ignored.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Drove a tank into a civilian's wall.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudChaser View Post
It's gotten to the point where I constantly say the most moronic **** on purpose so that when something accidental slips out, it's mostly ignored.
Set the bar low, that way if you fall short there's not much further to fall. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
Drove a tank into a civilian's wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you let the tank go and not yourself.

And @karenw , I didn't miss that by the way. Good thinking as in continue on as I am since I have no right to complain? Or was it innocuous?

No one will talk to me, they tend to go. Their faces say there's something I should know
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post_Punk_Proclivity View Post
Set the bar low, that way if you fall short there's not much further to fall. I like it.

Sounds like you let the tank go and not yourself.

And @karenw , I didn't miss that by the way. Good thinking as in continue on as I am since I have no right to complain? Or was it innocuous?
It was aimed at Cloud Chaser. Obviously not meaning hes my finest dumbass moment haha.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page