Work life and S.A - How do you cope? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
All about the vibes

My Mood: Worried

Work life and S.A - How do you cope?

I work for a big corporation where something like S.A is pretty uncommon (it seems based on the fact that people are relaxed around me).

I started off alright (been there 2 months or so) but now I am being exposed to more and more situations in which for someone with S.A is proving highly stressful. E.g. Being monitored by managers when communicating with customers, being given constant feedback on the way you talk e.t.c.

I have pretty strong mind power where despite symptoms, (losing train of thought due to negative self talk, facial sweating, nervousness) I can push myself into situations that make me anxious.. however I'm slowly losing this strength.

I was wondering how do those on here who work and deal with people face to face for the unavoidable fact of making a living, handle yourselves 40 hours per week? Any advice would be appreciated? P.s I don't take meds as I think they do not tackle the root of anxiety.

Big love x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
you don't take meds because they don't tackle the root of anxiety, you just make posts on an anxiety board searching for help as your anxiety becomes less and less manageable? Makes sense.

I think the question is kind of redundant... if there was a panacea for situations as these, no one would have social anxiety.
As it is a largely irrational fear, it doesn't seem a rational answer will do. You may consider medication, as it does help some.
Wish I could be more help but I have a strong case of "**** you" at the slightest annoyance so a boss monitoring my performance would lead to my rapid unemployment.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:51 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
I honestly have no idea. It takes me a long time to warm up to coworkers but talking to customers doesn't really bother me as much. Like, I'm just doing my job, which is usually explaining sh** that they don't understand and never will because jerks don't listen when they want to just lash out at the nearest retail worker they can find. So.

I do have a problem being nice to them sometimes.

(Dude, it's not this pharmacy, it's the LAW that won't let me fill your damn oxycodone 16 days early. Back off and stop foaming at the mouth pleeease and thank you.)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 PM
We all wear a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisellemarx View Post
I honestly have no idea. It takes me a long time to warm up to coworkers but talking to customers doesn't really bother me as much. Like, I'm just doing my job, which is usually explaining sh** that they don't understand and never will because jerks don't listen when they want to just lash out at the nearest retail worker they can find. So.

I do have a problem being nice to them sometimes.

(Dude, it's not this pharmacy, it's the LAW that won't let me fill your damn oxycodone 16 days early. Back off and stop foaming at the mouth pleeease and thank you.)
I am similar.

As it pertains to customers, I can talk to them because it is just a surface interaction, usually nothing substantial although I still get nervous.

As for co-workers; it also takes me a long time to "warm-up" to them but I personally still prefer not talking with them. All the stuff the they talk about feels so fake and when they laugh, it is usually over something that is not necessarily funny but receives pity laughs so that the one telling the joke is deemed as funny.

I have started interacting with my co-workers more but again, it just feels so fake and forced, I personally would rather not talk with them unless it pertained to the job.

I don't know how "Normies" (for a lack of a better word) do it.

We haven't lived in anything remotely close to "real" since the turn of the century.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page