Why did I choose customer service?!? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Why did I choose customer service?!?

I just started a new job at Tim Hortons... I'm still in training but so far I've already had the worst anxiety of my life. Every single day I wake up shaking and I've barely eaten in 4 days. I thought I could do the job and thought that it could help build my confidence but now I think I've made a horrible mistake. I don't know why I ever thought I could do a customer service job when I can barely say 2 words to people! I have to go tomorrow but I feel so nauseous about it. No one around me understands and I really don't have anyone to talk to. 😩

Instagram: @mildflowr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 11:01 PM
🙂

Same sentiments when I studied Education and applied to be a teacher at my old high school. I ended up quitting after 2 school days. As my psychiatrist said, every day was like a huge mountain to climb, getting us more exhausted as the days go by. Itís no longer healthy if it doesnít help build up confidence at all.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:02 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjheart View Post
I just started a new job at Tim Hortons... I'm still in training but so far I've already had the worst anxiety of my life. Every single day I wake up shaking and I've barely eaten in 4 days. I thought I could do the job and thought that it could help build my confidence but now I think I've made a horrible mistake. I don't know why I ever thought I could do a customer service job when I can barely say 2 words to people! I have to go tomorrow but I feel so nauseous about it. No one around me understands and I really don't have anyone to talk to. ��
If it doesn't get any easier then maybe you should try a different type of work - that's terrible if you can't even eat because you're so upset.

I'd probably hate it too. I used to work in libraries and we had to do talks/take tours or even do classes. It was hell on earth.

Maybe you could get a different job like doing data entry or something?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Absolute Thinker

Language: English
Get out of that work environment pronto. Before the mentally enslaved people with inhuman communication skills and unstable behavior boost
up your anxiety. They have zero tolerance for being patient towards social conscious folks like us. Since we subconsciously know the work environment is surrounded by automatic anomalies. Every work environment is polluted by people without a mind to experience incorrect emotion, eye contact, thought, awareness, logic and intention. All of their features remain perceptually absent from work. So insane!

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA computionally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events in their own environment.

NSA Software Engineers designing citizens mind, language and awareness incorrectly.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Moron

It's the Timbits.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
My first job was at McDonald's it was hell, but somehow I made it there for almost two years. What I learned from that is that some customers are just *******s, your job is not to get on you knees and worship them, you are there to make some food and give them the food (in a friendly manner of course), if they are *******s ignore them and move on, or tell them to **** off or you will call the cops and have them removed.

I stressed myself so much at my first job because I felt like I had to do a good job. Now looking back, I think, they only paid me $8.50 and hour so **** them they get what they paid for.

Don't take your job too seriously. Don't be a slob, but also don't stress. The worst they can do is fire you. Try to find a position that looks comfortable to you, tell them " I really want to do that, I really just want to do that all the time." or something a long those lines, then move your way up to more socially stressful parts of the job. I told them that I just wanted to be in the back in the kitchen, eventually I got some courage and move up to the front, but I spent most of my time in the back away from customers.

Don't just jump into the most stressful parts of the job. I don't know how coffee shops work but I imagine there are roles that don't require much social interaction. Try those first. You will never feel comfortable in there considering that you have SA but it won't be as bad as jumping into a role with constant social interaction.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I guess customer service jobs are usually the easiest ones to get and even though the pay sucks, it qualifies as "a job". That was why I did fast food, anyway. I assumed that it would be an easy job to get and an easy job to keep and a job where I wouldn't have to work too hard. Which was way wrong, BTW. It turns out I'm just too honest to work and do minimal effort for minimal wage. I felt like I was doing something wrong if I didn't do my best even though it was a ****ty job with ****ty pay and most of the people I interacted with treated me like garbage. So if they asked me to work overtime or work on my days off, I usually did it even though I didn't need the extra money and definitely didn't want to.

Anyway, my criteria was not extravagant. I just needed "A JOB" to get my mother off my back and so that I wouldn't feel so awkward around people who knew I lived with my parents. Generally the questions start eventually if you interact with the same people all the time.

/WYSD
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish,English
I start orientation for a retail company tomorrow I don’t wanna go but I need a job so 😕 I dont really like talking to people bc I always struggled w that (my social skills) but ima try my best /: I feel nauseous every time I think about my job lol 😞 . Good luck! I hope you eventually enjoy your job or you can find a diff job.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyy22 View Post
I start orientation for a retail company tomorrow I don’t wanna go but I need a job so 😕 I dont really like talking to people bc I always struggled w that (my social skills) but ima try my best /: I feel nauseous every time I think about my job lol 😞 . Good luck! I hope you eventually enjoy your job or you can find a diff job.
I feel your pain it sucks that we have to be forced to do these types of jobs �� I went in today and it wasn't that bad though, I guess because the customers were pretty nice but I don't think I can do it for long. Good luck to you too!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Oh jeez, customer service jobs are so hard. That and sales I stay away from. I hope it gets easier if you stick with it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I guess customer service jobs are usually the easiest ones to get and even though the pay sucks, it qualifies as "a job". That was why I did fast food, anyway. I assumed that it would be an easy job to get and an easy job to keep and a job where I wouldn't have to work too hard. Which was way wrong, BTW. It turns out I'm just too honest to work and do minimal effort for minimal wage. I felt like I was doing something wrong if I didn't do my best even though it was a ****ty job with ****ty pay and most of the people I interacted with treated me like garbage. So if they asked me to work overtime or work on my days off, I usually did it even though I didn't need the extra money and definitely didn't want to.

Anyway, my criteria was not extravagant. I just needed "A JOB" to get my mother off my back and so that I wouldn't feel so awkward around people who knew I lived with my parents. Generally the questions start eventually if you interact with the same people all the time.
That's exactly the reason I took this job too! So people stop bothering and judging me for not having a job and still living with my mom. Otherwise I would neverrr. I'm just going to try to survive 3 months then I'm out

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
That's exactly the reason I took this job too! So people stop bothering and judging me for not having a job and still living with my mom. Otherwise I would neverrr. I'm just going to try to survive 3 months then I'm out
Well, I feel like I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't point out that (although my rationale for why I took that kind of job in the first place was way off) my quitting it without having another job ready to go was a bad move (mostly because it was unplanned and the way it happened was fairly traumatic for me personally and intensified my SA as it pertains to work by A LOT).

If you want to have a future, you cannot just give up and quit working and live with your parents. They won't be around forever.

Do yourself a favor and save every penny you can from that job (this is easy if you don't have bills) and put it aside on an account that you don't touch. And while you're doing that, work on finding a job that isn't as hard on your SA. It is almost always easier to get another job if you're still employed than it is if you've been out of work for months or years (especially years).

Anyway, your savings. Don't touch it. Ever. If you encounter an expense that your parents will pay for you, let them pay it and don't spend your savings. A thousand bucks (even) when you're in a serious financial bind is better than nothing.

Your goal should be to transition into something that will enable you to keep having an income. Even if it isn't much, you have to save money unless you expect to get some kind of inheritance or something. My parents aren't gonna leave me squat besides a bunch of debt. No savings, no life insurance. Nothing.

/WYSD
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:16 PM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish,English
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyy22 View Post
I feel your pain it sucks that we have to be forced to do these types of jobs �� I went in today and it wasn't that bad though, I guess because the customers were pretty nice but I don't think I can do it for long. Good luck to you too!
Thank you! Ima try to last 3-6 months. I really need the experience. Hoping for a year or 2 but I doubt it lol .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page