What does it mean when you are easily annoyed by people? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

What does it mean when you are easily annoyed by people?

I have been really thinking about what I want out of life lately and realized that I am extremely impatient and easily annoyed by others. Friends, family, girlfriends, coworkers, etc. I don't want to feel this way but I can't help feeling irritated when people talk to me. I hide it pretty well and most people think I am a nice and caring person. But I can't seem to relate to others. How do I get over this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Paranoid

Question is, do you want to? If you're annoyed by them then why do you still want to be around them? Does everyone annoy you or only a few selected people?

"My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying."
-Ed Furgol
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 PM
SAS Member

My perspective on this is you've gotta let go. I learned that this mindset is not productive in the least. It got me written up at every job I've ever had. I changed the way I viewed interactions with the people around me and I've gone two years now and no write ups and I'm a lot happier with the people around me.

I posted on another thread entitled "Hatred and negativity ruining my life" here:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...post1059059078

I explain in detail my experiences and what I've done to help myself not hate everyone around me to the point of anger.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

My Mood: Breezy
You are a nice person. But you obviously have some suppressed anger or some physical reason for silently mumbling the f word under your breath. (Been there). Get a physical and read about sleep apnea. Otherwise, i think you meed to investigate why you're angry, forgiving/letting go and being in THIS moment. Instead of the past or future.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 03:36 AM
SAS Member

I feel your pain. I get bored and impatient with people very easily. Not too along ago, I had to go to a friends pre-wedding dinner. I sat with a bunch of people I really didn't know. I made conversation for maybe 30 minutes, and then just mentally checked out. After about an hour, the brides mother looks at me says "You're Tom's quiet friend, aren't you?" I just smiled and said yeah. But really I wanted to slap her face. I guess the point is in certain situations you have to put yourself out there, even if it feels unnatural.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 AM
SAS Member

It means all your energy is being used up thinking (or avoiding thinking) about a select few topics so you have no energy left to think about things you deem trivial.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Swedish Feminist

That feeling of annoyance probably comes from the belief that you're (somehow) superior to others and that other people aren't worth your time. Try to focus less on the things about people that you don't like and more on the things about them that you do like.

As for not being able to relate to people, I would've thought a feeling of disappointment would've been more appropriate.

]
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 AM
SAS Member

You feel annoyed around people because you have very high anxiety. I also have this and sometimes I yell at people or lose my temper. I asked my pyschologist about my reactions and she said it was me going into fight or fright mode. Anxiety makes me shake, cry, become irritable and sometimes I can't stop moving. I had several adjustments to my medication along with cognitive behaviour therapy. I have good and bad days but I keep practicing CBT and exposing myself to my fears. I have a long way to go as I have only been doing therapy for about 6 weeks. I still have very high stress and I use the gym to vent some of my anxiety.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM
SAS Member

I feel the same way. I am around people and sometimes, they seem really boring and I get annoyed and exhausted really quickly being around them. It has nothing to do with thinking I am better than them.

I am so not used to being around people and just talking to them regularly, and so my most extreme form of anxiety starts to kick in. So I get frustrated easily when they talk to me. What I've learned is to try to hang around people who are really interesting to me, and just really try to be patient with people. You'll find out that no matter how you try, some people will always be boring to you. But others, if you put up with them when they make you uncomfortable at first, your barriers will come down and that annoyance will go down. You just really have to stretch your patience to learn to see the good in people instead of brushing them off as uninteresting.

I run into this type of thing all the time. I tolerate people until I genuinely become interested in them, and then that's when I start to have a good time. :]
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
SAS Member

I think it means that somebody is overly critical of others and has a piss poor me attitude. Everybody does stupid ---- and effs up.. they are allowed to be annoying.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 PM
SAS Member

Question

Eric

I also have troubles with this & figuring out why the hell my patience wares so thin with some people. For me it may partly be the fact that I think so many people are so uneducated & it drives me absolutely nuts. I don't want to be an ***, but I can't stand people that live in a bubble and except no knowledge/progression...etc. I'm a hairstylist & it's the pointless conversations that get right to me. I find myself trying to really try to focus on what they're telling me in order to have an acceptable response, but sometimes it's so hard it goes in 1 ear & straight out the other & then they ask me a question & I'm like oh ****!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
I feel your pain. I get bored and impatient with people very easily. Not too along ago, I had to go to a friends pre-wedding dinner. I sat with a bunch of people I really didn't know. I made conversation for maybe 30 minutes, and then just mentally checked out. After about an hour, the brides mother looks at me says "You're Tom's quiet friend, aren't you?" I just smiled and said yeah. But really I wanted to slap her face. I guess the point is in certain situations you have to put yourself out there, even if it feels unnatural.

I would want to punch her face blue.she is really annoying
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 AM
Tired

Language: English
It means you are sane.

People are generally fking annoying.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 PM
God

sounds like my lil bro i bully him on a a regular basis & laugh at him because it's funny how angry he gets when i've hardly said anything to him just some usual childish insults & some repetition thrown in & he'll react & i'll get a good laugh out of it.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM
SAS member

What is it that specifically annoys you? Do you have certain triggers? I get annoyed with people frequently because I believe they should be a certain way and of course they are not!

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.
Mark twain

Watch your thoughts: They become your words.
Watch your words: They become your actions.
Watch your actions: They become your habits.
Watch your habits: They become your character.
Watch your character: It becomes your destiny.
Zen poem
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
It means that people are annoying.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Permanently Banned

I know exactly where your coming from. I can hold up a certain etiquette around groups of people, when inside im silently writhing at their presence. People tend to label me as the "nice girl" because of this. The only time i can be myself is when someone pushes my buttons by acting out of order in some way (i secretly love putting *******s in their place) or when im around more abstract, care free people who arent afraid to be themselves. Im the worst around the pretentious types..
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the talking one View Post
Question is, do you want to? If you're annoyed by them then why do you still want to be around them? Does everyone annoy you or only a few selected people?
People annoy me so much but I have to be around them because I have to work to make a living.
This is my dilemma.
My life is very miserable because of the fact that I have to work.
(by the way, I am very nice to people and always try to think of other's feelings).
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Yai
SAS Member

Irritated and can't let go

How to let go though? What cognitive therapy methods did u use? People are annoying the **** out of me. I feel they don't understand or care. I get angry and loose my cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivesUpEasily View Post
My perspective on this is you've gotta let go. I learned that this mindset is not productive in the least. It got me written up at every job I've ever had. I changed the way I viewed interactions with the people around me and I've gone two years now and no write ups and I'm a lot happier with the people around me.

I posted on another thread entitled "Hatred and negativity ruining my life" here:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...post1059059078

I explain in detail my experiences and what I've done to help myself not hate everyone around me to the point of anger.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Planet

My Mood: Crappy
seeing some regular posters today from a thread all the way back in 2011, guys how does it feel to have spent 5 years on this board?

JUST DO IT, ******

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page