Wearing the same clothes - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: eye contact

Wearing the same clothes

Since I don't have a job then I only have a select few clothes and that makes it tough to want to leave the house and see people you know. Does anyone else relate?
I mean..this is serious for me. Way back when my anxiety was beginning to become problematic one of the major reasons that I didn't even want to go to church was because I always wore the same outfits and didn't have much of a variety..it then even became hard to go to certain stores where employees most likely could notice me wearing the same outfits..
Now its still a problem for me today as we basically only frequent one store for groceries and stuff..and I've coincidentally seen this same employee guy almost every single time I go there and I'm always wearing the same shoes and jeans and jacket..:+(
Its a motivator to get a job for sure but its hella depressing and difficult to deal with and its either feel ashamed or be stuck..

“My case is not unique: I am afraid of dying and distressed at being in the world.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I have a job, but I still have very little choice of outfits lol... I don't like buying them either... Buying clothes are one of the biggest tortures for me, it's boring, it's draining (especially mentally) I HATE THAT! I HATE SHOPPING! I HATE BUYING CLOTHES ESPECIALLY!

But I think it's not wrong too wear same clothes as long as you remember to wash them often enough... It's important to keep then clean!

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:02 AM
Trailer Trash Tranny

My Mood: Brooding
Can someone buy clothing for you and return it if it doesn't fit? I'm not suggesting that as a permanent fix. But maybe a change of outfit will let you go to the store to buy another outfit. I don't know what your financial situation is like.

I can't afford to buy clothes. Most of what I wear now was given to me by my sister. Who gets them from clients who pass away. I'm literally wearing hand-me-downs from dead people. My clothes are old, don't fit, and are about as far from what I want to wear as I can get. Most of them have holes in them now. I look like a homeless person when I leave the house. But there's nothing I can do about it. So I just don't pay attention when people cross the street to avoid me.

The best things in life are free, but so are the worst things. And you need money to avoid those.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:56 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I have money but rarely buy new clothes & even then I'll buy 3 pairs of the same black trousers that are on sale or something, I mainly wear clothes to keep warm & blend in with the zombie hoards, avoid public indecency etc.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 10:33 AM
womfn

I used to feel this way but maybe it's cause I'm older that I no longer really care. My goal now has been to find the perfect shirt and jeans that feel comfy so that I can buy like 5 of each, same color, and wear that everyday. Having options is too much for me now. So for me, I think people who are minimal and wear the same thing everyday are actually smart.

But if wanting new clothes motivates you to do something positive in your life then that's good too. But just saying you shouldn't feel bad for only owning a few clothes cause like Dr Suess says, those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter. Something like that :P
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I tend to wear the same things over and over but it's more because I don't care much and I also only have a few pair of comfortable trousers (relatives kept buying me skinny black jeans every christmas, only one pair of them I've ever come across was stretchy enough to be comfortable.) I think this is one of those things where if anyone judges you for it they're definitely in the wrong so try to push past it. It's just status nonsense.

Off topic but I like the quote in your signature.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Can you go to a thrift shop? I have small wardrobe and I love it. I have clothes I rotate on the regular. Having so many clothes you don't even wear is a waste.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Can someone buy clothing for you and return it if it doesn't fit? I'm not suggesting that as a permanent fix. But maybe a change of outfit will let you go to the store to buy another outfit. I don't know what your financial situation is like.

I can't afford to buy clothes. Most of what I wear now was given to me by my sister. Who gets them from clients who pass away. I'm literally wearing hand-me-downs from dead people. My clothes are old, don't fit, and are about as far from what I want to wear as I can get. Most of them have holes in them now. I look like a homeless person when I leave the house. But there's nothing I can do about it. So I just don't pay attention when people cross the street to avoid me.
Hm, I live with my parents, they're doing their best.. Cant ask and dont want to ask people for clothes.
Its not like I dont have any clothes..its just..I barely have clothes. I go to goodwill and Ross to shop.
I have to get a job.

Sorry that you don't have much either. Sounds kind of interesting to wear dead people's clothes lol.

**** mean people.

“My case is not unique: I am afraid of dying and distressed at being in the world.”
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelle View Post
I used to feel this way but maybe it's cause I'm older that I no longer really care. My goal now has been to find the perfect shirt and jeans that feel comfy so that I can buy like 5 of each, same color, and wear that everyday. Having options is too much for me now. So for me, I think people who are minimal and wear the same thing everyday are actually smart.

But if wanting new clothes motivates you to do something positive in your life then that's good too. But just saying you shouldn't feel bad for only owning a few clothes cause like Dr Suess says, those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter. Something like that :P
Interesting, that would be hard for me because it'd be boring for me I like preferences..and also I guess I would care what people thought. So you're very self assured and individualistic.

Thanks for reminding me of that quote, its a good one. : )

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I tend to wear the same things over and over but it's more because I don't care much and I also only have a few pair of comfortable trousers (relatives kept buying me skinny black jeans every christmas, only one pair of them I've ever come across was stretchy enough to be comfortable.) I think this is one of those things where if anyone judges you for it they're definitely in the wrong so try to push past it. It's just status nonsense.

Off topic but I like the quote in your signature.
Cool. Lol @ every Christmas.

Noones judged me but I think I'm judging myself pretty damn hard...I guess its normal.

I'm glad you like my quote : )

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Can you go to a thrift shop? I have small wardrobe and I love it. I have clothes I rotate on the regular. Having so many clothes you don't even wear is a waste.
Idk if Ross is a thrift store, but I mainly shop at good will, ross, and walmart.

I would never have so many clothes and not wear them often. People who do that are pretty lucky but they're also spoiled..and they should give the ones they dont wear away.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:55 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I’ve neglected buying clothes for years and it has completely tied into my avoidance behaviour as well as my low self esteem. I rather hate shopping for clothes in shops and when you order online the sizing can be quite touchy too. I actually have 3 pairs of pants & a hoody coming from Amazon this week & have my fingers crossed that they will fit correctly. Even then I only made this order because of how desperately old/worn my current selection is, I often wait long past when I should for new clothes
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:24 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
I agree with ShotInTheDark, as long as they're clean, it shouldn't matter. I will go out and wear the same outfit too, lol but I just think of it like this, it's clean. I wash them. but I did buy a new jacket and I have other pairs of pants so once in a while that'll be different and I did get new boots so that would be different. I do have thoughts of that other people will judge me for it like get bored of me or laugh behind my back but your personality/kindness is the most important.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:25 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I hardly ever buy clothes and I don't honestly think people notice as long as they don't see you every day and your clothing is pretty low key. Like if you only have one shirt and it's a really loud shirt, people would remember that "Hey! There's that dude with the bright orange hat and the yellow shoes! I saw him yesterday!"

As someone who has always had SA, I have always chosen pretty low key colors and clothing.

/WYSD
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:54 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
I mostly buy all my clothes online, but I do tend to wear the same clothes for a few days.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page