Urge to tell people about my SA - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
tlc
SAS Member

Urge to tell people about my SA

Today I was having a conversation with some people at work and was feeling very uncomfortable and was getting the feeling they didnt really want to keep talking to me, and I had the urge to just yell out "im so sorry, its not me, I have social phobia!". Does anyone else ever experience that? Sometimes I want to tell people because I think maybe then they wont reject me or they wont judge me as harshly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 PM
SAS Member

I get that urge when I'm by myself. To text someone and tell them why I am the way I am. But when I'm actually with people I try so hard to interact like they do that the thought never enters my head.

"Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on Earth." F.M. Dostoyevsky
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 PM
ENTP with SA...How?

Oh ya defintely. For some its a means of getting attention, but not in your case ir moat peoples case..

You just want to tell people that its not your fault you act ****ed up, its
sa, yet you cant tell them... Its hotrible. You just want to let people knoe that under the SA mask is a ****in aersome person.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Harvestor Of Sorrow

I am the same way. I often feel I need to confess in advance to talking to people that I have social anxiety disorder. It's just another component of having anxiety. The constant worry.

And wet she rose from the lake, and fast and fleet went she
One half the form of a maiden fair with a jet black mare's body

And loud, long and shrill he blew til his steed was by his side
High overhead the grey hawk flew and swiftly did he ride
Saying "Course well, my brindled hound, and fetch me the jet black mare
Stoop and strike, my good grey hawk, and bring me the maiden fair"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

"I'm actually with people I try so hard to interact like they do that the thought never enters my head."

Same thing happens to me and also im afraid to tell them cause they sort of make fun of people with problems... I just dont want to be one of them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
SAS Member

Yeah exactly it makes you feel inferior to them then and that's not gonna help with the paranoid, self-conscious thoughts

"Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on Earth." F.M. Dostoyevsky
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
SAS Member

nope never but they'll figure it out soon enough.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:51 PM
A slave of my own reality

Same here. Sometimes I would like to tell my friends I have SA so that way they know why I am the way I am but I know they would not understand it and would look at me as an outcast if they don't already.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 PM
ZuzuINK

sometimes i say something dumb and say something else to make up for it and sound even more like a fool, then keep babbling about something stupid and just wanna walk away and die for even talking in the first place. X__x;;
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
sometimes i say something dumb and say something else to make up for it and sound even more like a fool, then keep babbling about something stupid and just wanna walk away and die for even talking in the first place. X__x;;
That usually happened to me when I was in a group in class. I couldn't walk away though so I sat and never said a word again. >__>
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 AM
SAS Member

Only a couple of my closest friends know about my SA.

Because I haven't told other friends, sometimes they get mad at me for not hanging out with them much or they criticize me for staying locked up in my room, laying down in bed. They don't know it's the depression knocking me down every ****ed day. I want to tell them, but sometimes I'd prefer them to think of me as lazy rather than afraid of them...

I've also wanted to tell one of my professors who has always been very kind to me. I think he has it too and we could talk about it. I just think it would be nice to have someone to talk to in person who truly understands it, too.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Breaking Loose

No, if people start talking to me (I won't even try talking to you) and they don't like me, that's fine. I won't tell them I have SA.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 AM
SAS Member

man... i always wish i could tell people. i want to announce it on facebook some days! like a status that says, "this probably explains a lot: I have social anxiety disorder!" but i know it's probably not a good idea. i just hate the thought that so many people i've come across probably think i'm stuck up or something. ive told a few close friends.. but i dont think they fully even understand it. they know ive always been really scared of being the center of attention (giving presentations, playing charades and taboo, etc) but I dont think they know how deep down it goes - down to everyday conversations, small talk, picking up the phone and dialing, etc. I wish I could just tattoo a definition on my forehead ...no? lol

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it. - Bill Cosby
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM
SAS Member

I always have the urge to tell people. I told a good friend of mine and he totally understands, but i wouldnt tell anyone else.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
SAS Member

Sometimes I wonder how people dont know by now. I mean I've been going to the same school with people for 6 years and everytime i have to talk outloud i visually shake and tremble, and people still laugh at me. Do they really think I'm just "shy"? Shy people dont get panic attacks because they have to read a sentence outloud...This probably has nothnig to do with what you said but i feel the same way

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page