Transitioning to Adult Life - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Transitioning to Adult Life

I thought that by getting a bachelor's degree I'd find a place in the world despite my anxiety. I definitely was wrong. I'm 24 and I've been out of school for 6 months now. No friends, no money, no work experience, no references, and no career.

Starting in January, I have to start paying $200 a month for school loans. My degree (applied math) hasn't prepared me for any jobs. I've been applying to all sorts of jobs in the last 6 months. The only job I was hired for was as a warehouse worker with 12 hours shifts. I got fired after a couple weeks for being too slow. One of my supervisors liked to call me the "reverse Good Will Hunting guy". That still bugs me. Like, what was the point of everything I've done so far?

I'm still a socially anxious loser. I stupidly tried so hard to finish school without a goal aside from "I'll be a better person after this regardless of how avoidant I am". All I have now is debt. Why did I even go to school if I'm going to end up being a janitor, warehouse worker, fast food worker, etc. I don't even know what my goal in life is anymore aside from "don't die".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 03:38 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
what did you major in?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
what did you major in?
The official title is: Applied Mathematics, Concentration in Applied and Computational Mathematics. I also took enough courses to have a minor in computer science and Japanese, but I was too scared of the receptionist lady to turn in the forms.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:12 PM
SAS Member

I don't think you should be so hard on yourself...I started working at your age too in the field of my studies...till then I worked in motel and stores to make ends meet....it can be tough for people to find their first job but you should keep at it..also there's no shame in doing odd jobs for sometime till you find what you want....your still young so don't worry about it....good luck buddy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:49 PM
SAS Member

Took me about a good year to find a job in my related study. I went straight to fast food right out of university. If your not above working menial jobs at the moment, you can find a job for now whilst continuing to look for the job that you studied for.

Be open to a lot of things and the most important thing you should be focused on is getting experience in your field which might mean taking an internship in the begining like i did. Two years later, im now an engineer for a position i actually studied for but that first year out of college seemed bleek and felt like i would never find something i went to school for.

Went from a sandwich maker, to bug tester, to finally a programmer within an entire year after graduating.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Still thinking of one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:49 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeka View Post
The official title is: Applied Mathematics, Concentration in Applied and Computational Mathematics. I also took enough courses to have a minor in computer science and Japanese, but I was too scared of the receptionist lady to turn in the forms.
Maybe you could learn a bit more programming and get online work coding. Upwork and sites like that. My son did it for a while a few years ago before he got a better job.

If you already know some already maybe it wouldn't be hard to learn a couple of new languages - could even just do it on Lynda.com or codeacademy. (I think that's what they're called.) You can usually access all of Lynda's courses for free through your local library.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 04:28 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
bags of water
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav21 View Post
I don't think you should be so hard on yourself...I started working at your age too in the field of my studies...till then I worked in motel and stores to make ends meet....it can be tough for people to find their first job but you should keep at it..also there's no shame in doing odd jobs for sometime till you find what you want....your still young so don't worry about it....good luck buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussle View Post
Took me about a good year to find a job in my related study. I went straight to fast food right out of university. If your not above working menial jobs at the moment, you can find a job for now whilst continuing to look for the job that you studied for.

Be open to a lot of things and the most important thing you should be focused on is getting experience in your field which might mean taking an internship in the begining like i did. Two years later, im now an engineer for a position i actually studied for but that first year out of college seemed bleek and felt like i would never find something i went to school for.

Went from a sandwich maker, to bug tester, to finally a programmer within an entire year after graduating.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks, really helpful words. I was freaking out when I wrote that post as I'm getting pushed by external motivators, but you guys are right. 6 months is still fairly early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Maybe you could learn a bit more programming and get online work coding. Upwork and sites like that. My son did it for a while a few years ago before he got a better job.

If you already know some already maybe it wouldn't be hard to learn a couple of new languages - could even just do it on Lynda.com or codeacademy. (I think that's what they're called.) You can usually access all of Lynda's courses for free through your local library.
Yeah, you've named proper resources. I've done projects in quite a few languages already, but not to the point that I can complete a project without researching stuff online (aka not marketable). Programming/Software Developer route is my strongest plan at the moment, but there's a bit of urgency in the way of that. My relationship with my family isn't going great, so I might have to start providing for myself, like really soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 08:07 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeka View Post

Yeah, you've named proper resources. I've done projects in quite a few languages already, but not to the point that I can complete a project without researching stuff online (aka not marketable). Programming/Software Developer route is my strongest plan at the moment, but there's a bit of urgency in the way of that. My relationship with my family isn't going great, so I might have to start providing for myself, like really soon.
That's a horrible situation to be in at this time of year - sorry to hear that.

Programming/Software Design seems like a great choice if you can manage it. My son did it for his degree. I'm very glad he did tbh - he has a job with an international company, very stable as far as I can see - and the benefits are pretty amazing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page